MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
The New BB for Old-School Results 1
First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

absamillion

wizard. dont be dissing ell you retard. and go back to hvt training thats where people that are lame like u belong.
Open User Options Menu

JimBryan

Florida, USA

Just back from Long Boat Key. Noticed things got off track while I was gone. Still looking forward to the Book, and respectful discussion.
Open User Options Menu

elizabeth

absamillion wrote:
wizard. dont be dissing ell you retard. and go back to hvt training thats where people that are lame like u belong.


Hey guys this is not a chat room,keep those stupid words out of here!!! Mr.Darden,please,remove all such people from here,thank you.
Open User Options Menu

elizabeth

And one more thing,dont bother Mr. Darden about the book and part#2.When the book is ready is ready.Do not behave like little kids and do something else instead of sitting in front of your "burnt" computers all day long.Go outside and enjoy the life a bit.And please do not ask every stupid little question that you can answer yourself!!! Looks very childish.
Open User Options Menu

elizabeth

And one more thing,dont bother Mr. Darden about the book and part#2.When the book is ready is ready.Do not behave like little kids and do something else instead of sitting in front of your "burnt" computers all day long.Go outside and enjoy the life a bit.And please do not ask every stupid little question that you can answer yourself!!! Looks very childish.
Open User Options Menu

hdlifter

elizabeth wrote:
And one more thing,dont bother Mr. Darden about the book and part#2.When the book is ready is ready.Do not behave like little kids and do something else instead of sitting in front of your "burnt" computers all day long.Go outside and enjoy the life a bit.And please do not ask every stupid little question that you can answer yourself!!! Looks very childish.


Despite your stutter ;) it looks like you got your message across... not once but twice! LOL

Open User Options Menu

HamsFitness

hey look, the only reason I voiced that "lame" tag was due to my frustration at waiting over a year for the new book.

Open User Options Menu

elizabeth

Mr.Darden is not supposed to do anything,please understand.He does it for the love of bodybuilding and because He feels He has to do it.Otherwise, He can stop doing what He is doing,close the site and live his retirement years around his family.But He wont.

If you are frustrated and thinking that this book will"somehow" change your life as many like you think....well,then you had better assess your life.And do not forget that nobody sincerely cares about your "frustration".
Open User Options Menu

absamillion

Dr. Darden elizibeths comment scared me. please dont retire
Open User Options Menu

hdlifter

elizabeth wrote:
Mr.Darden is not supposed to do anything,please understand.He does it for the love of bodybuilding and because He feels He has to do it.Otherwise, He can stop doing what He is doing,close the site and live his retirement years around his family.But He wont.

If you are frustrated and thinking that this book will"somehow" change your life as many like you think....well,then you had better assess your life.And do not forget that nobody sincerely cares about your "frustration".


While I respect your attempts to defuse the situation, I can also appreciate others frustrations. I went in search of getting hold of this book, through my usual sources living in Australia, a year or so ago! Now I know what is involved with publishers as my friend discovered when he brought out his book this year.

So stop and reflect on how little direction people have on how to train. If they reply on mainstream mags then FORGET IT!

I pity those starting to train in the modern age. Unlike the 70's, or younger years, when practical information was available, today it is a complete joke. That is why I believe, many are holding on to get there hands on Darden's new book.

That doesn't mean I condone being rude, and I don't think people believe it will "change their life" as much as it will provide a direction that will lead to the goals they all seek.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Ellington Darden is not going to retire . . . not yet. I still have a number of related books that I want to research and write.

Stay tuned.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

cmg

JimBryan wrote:
Just back from Long Boat Key. Noticed things got off track while I was gone. Still looking forward to the Book, and respectful discussion.


Hello Jim,

Long Boat is a beautiful area. I get there once a year. I always stay on Siesta and the beaches are great.

Ron
Open User Options Menu

Tom71

Ellington Darden wrote:
Ellington Darden is not going to retire . . . not yet. I still have a number of related books that I want to research and write.

Stay tuned.

Ellington


I, for one, am glad to here it :-)
Open User Options Menu

PHS

Great response, hdlifter.

I found Elizabeth's posts as insulting as the one from Wizard. They simply insulted different targets. She insulted other posters and Wizard insulted Dr. Darden. Neither are appropriate.

Wizard ought to give Dr. Darden the benefit of the doubt that publishing a book is a monumental undertaking and fraught with obstacles and delays. Elizabeth ought to mind her own business and not be so presumptuous as to think she is in a position to comment on anyone else's life. And it actually makes you wonder when someone goes on a message board lashing out at and psychoanalyzing others they don't even know.

Hdlifter, on the other hand, has hit the nail on the proverbial head, I think. The frustration of Wizard is understandable - he or she just vented unfairly. The importance of a workout regimen to people can be enormous and literally change lives, as those who are rehabilitating or fighting weight gain or stasis can attest. Elizabeth certifiably could not be more wrong. And I think even hdlifter has understated the case by claiming that a workout regimen merely provides direction. My goodness, weight training has been found scientifically to positively impact chemicals in the body that impact mood and help with other internal functions in addition to improving one's physique. And that is why so many people are eager, even if overly so, to obtain Dr. Darden's latest book and are pining for the information as a source of education, inspiration, and motivation.

As Bill Pearl always said, take care of yourself (and he advocated doing so by engaging in a workout first thing on whichever mornings one rotated such) and then take care of business. I think Mr. Pearl has the order and perspective correct, which makes the information Dr. Darden provides on this site and in his books literally vital to those of us who have relied on him over the years for guidance in this fundamental and cornerstone part of our lives.

As a 49-year-old who has been a Dr. Darden and Arthur Jones enthusiast since the first Nautilus machines became available in my neck of the woods in the late 1970s, I am particularly looking forward to this book given my hiatus from HIT due to an automobile accident and other issues. I could use the intellectual pump.

No pressure, Dr. Darden. Thanks for all you have done and will do. I am hoping your future books will continue the focus on the latest science with respect to such controversial areas as diet, nutrition, repetition cadence, and workout style rotation for continued progress. There can never be too much scientific information in the areas of excercise physiology and nutrition.
Open User Options Menu

HamsFitness

By stating that the book being even later was Lame was not an insult to anyone, only to the situation.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Ellington Darden wrote:
Ellington Darden is not going to retire . . . not yet. I still have a number of related books that I want to research and write.

Stay tuned.

Ellington


I can tell you're from Texas!
Open User Options Menu

elizabeth

PHS ,you are perfectly right in your statements.I agree.I meant that people should not be putting unnecessary,childish like pressure on Darden.The book is coming and part #2 also.It is just a matter of time.And it is worth the waiting.

And I think that relatively enough has been written on the subject of exercising from Darden,Mike Mentzer,Arthur Jones and others,who advocate brief and infrequent workouts.And from all those books it is pretty easy to construct ones own routine.So just relax,sit back and wait.
Open User Options Menu

QmAn

The period in history shortly after weight lifting split and bodybuilding in the modern sense took off, right up to the late 70's is for me personally, the most interesting time as I have no first hand experience of it. So I figure I may well have not been there, but I can read about it. This book should be very interesting.

QmAn
Open User Options Menu

NEW_AT_HIT

I can tell you are a true PHD!

Here is a question for you, DR. Darden:

Are you a PHD first or HIT first?

I ask this question because I think
it will say alot about you and why
I follow what you say. I know your answer!
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

NEW_AT_HIT wrote:
I can tell you are a true PHD!

Here is a question for you, DR. Darden:

Are you a PHD first or HIT first?

I ask this question because I think
it will say alot about you and why
I follow what you say. I know your answer!


You've asked an unusual question.

First, I want to say that I'm Ellington Darden. To discover who influenced me most, go back to the opening page and skip down to the fourth article . . . "Wanted: Dead or Alive!"

The 10 people I listed helped shape me to become who I am now.

For me to select between being a Ph.D. and HIT, would depend on the specific set of circumstances. Either could be first.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

chrisgale83

Minnesota, USA

Dr. Darden,
I am in the Army and deploying very soon. I was just wondering when to expect your new book because I have to warn the wife so she can buy it and send it to me as soon as it comes out.
Thanks,
Chris
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

chrisgale83 wrote:
Dr. Darden,
I am in the Army and deploying very soon. I was just wondering when to expect your new book because I have to warn the wife so she can buy it and send it to me as soon as it comes out.
Thanks,
Chris


Right now, the books are in transit to the warehouse in Colorado Springs. They should arrive Monday or Tuesday, October 16th or 17th. As soon as they are unpacked, an announcement will be made on this Web site . . . with instructions on "how to order."

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

chrisgale83 wrote:
Open User Options Menu

shlevon

Cherry wrote:
john38 wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
I don't know how you guys can do 8-12 exercises (via total body) to absolute, total positive failure. I can only *really* do it for 4-5 exercises. Usually after a few sets of leg exercises, I am finished.

I think Mentzer had the right idea here (but eventually took it way too far). I think the Heavy Duty I routine is more practical for many.

Agreed! I can usually get seven-9 in Jones' original HIT routines(circuit style).


We used to do 12-15 moving as quickly or quicker than Drew in his video. ALL were set-up in advance and several machines involved pre-exhaustion of the large muscle groups without ever leaving the seat! We feared the workouts and we'd finish in ~20 mins lying on floor in a pool of sweat and tears at the foot of that last machine. Alas those are the long-lost good ol days of rational training... :(


I have to ask...

What did you even get out of that training?

I ask because I've seen others report the above with no mention of actual progress over time, in terms lifting more weight and/or, you know, actually adding muscle.

It's like some people rejoice in the ability to lay themselves out cold without giving thought to why they're trying to do it in the first place.

Not saying this applies to you, but you've also ducked (to the best of my knowledge) any attempts to assess your personal progress with HIT, muscular or otherwise.

Open User Options Menu

henry_bordeaux

shlevon wrote:
Cherry wrote:
john38 wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
I don't know how you guys can do 8-12 exercises (via total body) to absolute, total positive failure. I can only *really* do it for 4-5 exercises. Usually after a few sets of leg exercises, I am finished.

I think Mentzer had the right idea here (but eventually took it way too far). I think the Heavy Duty I routine is more practical for many.

Agreed! I can usually get seven-9 in Jones' original HIT routines(circuit style).


We used to do 12-15 moving as quickly or quicker than Drew in his video. ALL were set-up in advance and several machines involved pre-exhaustion of the large muscle groups without ever leaving the seat! We feared the workouts and we'd finish in ~20 mins lying on floor in a pool of sweat and tears at the foot of that last machine. Alas those are the long-lost good ol days of rational training... :(

I have to ask...

What did you even get out of that training?

I ask because I've seen others report the above with no mention of actual progress over time, in terms lifting more weight and/or, you know, actually adding muscle.

It's like some people rejoice in the ability to lay themselves out cold without giving thought to why they're trying to do it in the first place.

Not saying this applies to you, but you've also ducked (to the best of my knowledge) any attempts to assess your personal progress with HIT, muscular or otherwise.





Starting from scratch with 4 junior rowers (16-18) we trained them in exactly that way. No Rest between exercises, 8-12 exercises per session, 2xper week. all on nautilus 1st & 2nd generation equipment.

they were in very good cardiovascular condition at the start, so there was no break-in training needed, except to get their form right on every machine. those guys want it. they throw up sometimes afterwards, and yes, they fear the workouts.

but, during the first control test, which is done on a rowing-ergometer, they all got personal bests, and were much more improved than the control group, which continues to train in a conventional way.

the Hit group did no rowing before the control test, except skill work.
the typical rowing race lasts between 6-10 minutes for 2km.

the harder you train, the more you get out of it (all other factors equal). and if someone denies that, he's just searching for an easier way, which is only human...




Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy