MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Rob's 'No More Excuses' Log
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

sirloin

Hey StuKE, thanks man:)

Your 100% correct and its something am cognisant of. Initial I started employing static holds to work around a few injuries, but actually found them to be (for me) the quite productive and enjoyable method.

Ive found a few things help a little, firstly I keep the holds short, ill perform between two and three several second holds with 10-15 second rest pauses. (Turpin and Chicco recommend this to me a few years back).
Secondly I never fully grip, I leave the thumb out, If you notice my thumb is on top of the hammer row handle, not around it (this is the only movement I use straps on though), on machine pec deck, laterals, preacher curls, underhand pulldowns etc, I use a thumbless grip which means I cant grip too hard.
On the leg press, I use a seated leverage leg press, this version reduces intracranial pressure, I also like it because I can set the depth for deadstarts, static holds, negative only etc, and the arch of the machine reduces pressure on my low back.

Ive also contemplating no longer going to out failure, I think it was your good self mentioned recently about that last all out rep driving blood pressure way up?

Cheers Rob







Open User Options Menu

StuKE

sirloin wrote:
Hey StuKE, thanks man:)

Your 100% correct and its something am cognisant of. Initial I started employing static holds to work around a few injuries, but actually found them to be (for me) the quite productive and enjoyable method.

Ive found a few things help a little, firstly I keep the holds short, ill perform between two and three several second holds with 10-15 second rest pauses. (Turpin and Chicco recommend this to me a few years back).
Secondly I never fully grip, I leave the thumb out, I you notice my thumb is on top of the hammer row handle, not around it (this is the only movement I use straps on though), on machine pec deck, laterals, preacher curls, underhand pulldowns etc, I use a thumbless grip which means I cant grip too hard.
On the leg press, I use a seated leverage leg press, this version reduces intracranial pressure, I also like it because I can set the depth for deadstarts, static holds, negative only etc, and the arch of the machine reduces pressure on my low back.

Ive also contemplating no longer going to out failure, I think it was your good self mentioned recently about that last all out rep driving blood pressure way up?

Cheers Rob

You have certainly thought about all this and know your stuff. The thumbless grip - is that to lessen the pressure a little?
Very wise to avoid the all out final rep, my scary leg press incident aside, I have found certain exercises have lead to weird, worrying effects when using a heavy (to me) weight as I approach failure. Seems sometimes the muscles are not the weakest link in the chain.
I look forward to reading your blog as it continues, and you have definitely motivated me to stop with my excuses and apply myself!








Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

sirloin wrote:
Ive also contemplating no longer going to out failure, I think it was your good self mentioned recently about that last all out rep driving blood pressure way up?

Cheers Rob


Yep, the greater the intensity level and the greater the load increases blood pressure as well as potential arterial constriction. In other words, low reps/TUT to failure poses the greatest risk.
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

have you ever tried drinking four ounce glasses of beetroot juice twice a day, I I started drinking this a week ago and have been monitoring my blood pressure. Over the course of the week my blood pressure has dropped 10 to 15 points, and I feel like I have more energy.

I also am training 4 seconds positive, 4 second hold and 4 second negative to mmf...this reduces the weight which also reduces the pressure...I have found that when I use extreme heavy weights for normal tut, my pressure would skyrocket...I don't strain and grunt like I used to

I have found this works me, not saying it will for you...just sharing information

do you train full body or split your body up?
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

StuKE wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Hey StuKE, thanks man:)

Your 100% correct and its something am cognisant of. Initial I started employing static holds to work around a few injuries, but actually found them to be (for me) the quite productive and enjoyable method.

Ive found a few things help a little, firstly I keep the holds short, ill perform between two and three several second holds with 10-15 second rest pauses. (Turpin and Chicco recommend this to me a few years back).
Secondly I never fully grip, I leave the thumb out, I you notice my thumb is on top of the hammer row handle, not around it (this is the only movement I use straps on though), on machine pec deck, laterals, preacher curls, underhand pulldowns etc, I use a thumbless grip which means I cant grip too hard.
On the leg press, I use a seated leverage leg press, this version reduces intracranial pressure, I also like it because I can set the depth for deadstarts, static holds, negative only etc, and the arch of the machine reduces pressure on my low back.

Ive also contemplating no longer going to out failure, I think it was your good self mentioned recently about that last all out rep driving blood pressure way up?

Cheers Rob

You have certainly thought about all this and know your stuff. The thumbless grip - is that to lessen the pressure a little?
Very wise to avoid the all out final rep, my scary leg press incident aside, I have found certain exercises have lead to weird, worrying effects when using a heavy (to me) weight as I approach failure. Seems sometimes the muscles are not the weakest link in the chain.
I look forward to reading your blog as it continues, and you have definitely motivated me to stop with my excuses and apply myself!










Yeah, a doctor showed me with a an old school spring hand gripper and Bp cuff how much of an increase happens when the thumb is engaged. Quick shocking!
With the last rep, i no longer believe its required, overload yes, but not failure.

Best of luck with your training mate:)




Open User Options Menu

sirloin

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Ive also contemplating no longer going to out failure, I think it was your good self mentioned recently about that last all out rep driving blood pressure way up?

Cheers Rob


Yep, the greater the intensity level and the greater the load increases blood pressure as well as potential arterial constriction. In other words, low reps/TUT to failure poses the greatest risk.


Interesting, its something ill consider. Cheers man.

Open User Options Menu

sirloin

hit4me wrote:
have you ever tried drinking four ounce glasses of beetroot juice twice a day, I I started drinking this a week ago and have been monitoring my blood pressure. Over the course of the week my blood pressure has dropped 10 to 15 points, and I feel like I have more energy.

I also am training 4 seconds positive, 4 second hold and 4 second negative to mmf...this reduces the weight which also reduces the pressure...I have found that when I use extreme heavy weights for normal tut, my pressure would skyrocket...I don't strain and grunt like I used to

I have found this works me, not saying it will for you...just sharing information

do you train full body or split your body up?


Never tried that, but sounds good, thats a considerable drop. Ive actually been going for brisk 3-7 mile brisk daily walks for the last couple of weeks along the coast line and my bp has went from 145/85 to 130/80. Ive also been trying out meditation techniques. Next time i see my doc am going to ask to come off the bp meds.

With cadance, i actually found the longer the tut the worse i felt and the longer the recovery period i needed, wereas a heavy load ( relative term i know )
with rest pause seems to work best for me.

I prefer a 3 way split, usually no more than 3-4 exercises, and i perfer to train 3 days in row followed by 2-4 days recovery. Brian Johnston talked about this a few years back, he mentioned something about riding a "metabolic wave" of sorts from the first workout. Took a bit of getting used to, but It works well really will for me.
Having bipolar, i dont like being in crowed places/gyms, i get really uneasy, ideally i train late on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. If i have to train during the week, i train during lunch time when the gyms quieter.

Thanks for the info, will give the beetroot juice a try, am all for natural methods:)


Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

beetroot juice, never heard of it, what's in it that helps BP so much?
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

Nwlifter wrote:
beetroot juice, never heard of it, what's in it that helps BP so much?


nitric oxide, therefore it opens up the arteries and allows the blood flow more freely and gets more oxygen to the brain

Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

NOx?! That's the stuff Hugh Jackman chugs to look more vascular before Wolverine fight scenes.

I guess the BRJ is at more medicinal levels than all those 'NOx Pump!' supplements you see in the sports nutrition section?
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

I have used beetroot juice on and off for a while, couldn't say if it has lowered my blood pressure as my pressure was ok to start with, but good for the blood pressure and good for the heart so I like to drink it. Tastes like sweet earth... Hahaha
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

ah ok, NO, so one could just take the supplement then and skip the sugary juice?
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Got mine yesterday, cant do no harm. No one mentioned about red pee though lol.
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

Nwlifter wrote:
ah ok, NO, so one could just take the supplement then and skip the sugary juice?


I use Lakewood organic beet juice...no sugar added and it is fresh pressed not from concentrate...the only sugar is the natural sugar that is in the beets.

if you have a juicer you could use that too.

never tried the nox supplements so cannot say, I actually prefer the real deal instead of the powder.

Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
Got mine yesterday, cant do no harm. No one mentioned about red pee though lol.


your stool and pee will be a little reddish, no harm though unless you are trying to see if it is blood
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Just got done with leg training, which was leverage leg presses, calf presses and seated back extension machine. Didnt go to all out failure, stopped a rep short each time.

Bar the day I was hiking last week, this is now my 16th day training in a row. I dont say that in a boastful way, I always plan a few days off then end up not taking them, over the last few years Ive stuggled with taking days off, the way I see it, if my body REALLY needs a day off it'll stop me from training. Truth be told, I sometimes went for 3 months without a single rest day. Of course, ive had to change my ways, ive had to vary intensity, volume, exercises, equipment used etc, cant go low reps and heavy every workout.

Why train so frequently? Am under no illusion that ill not pack on more muscle and increase strength every single workout, but If I dont train my back stiffens up like a board, it also helps with my mental state.

Recently I was on Bill Sahli's HIT facebook page I noticed a comment left by an individual on his most recent post, it read "I think most people train in an overtrained state due to the frequency ego".
What the f@#k is the "frequency ego" when its at home? I love these terms these people come up with.
Ive no ego, I just believe that inactivity is death and that running water never goes stale. My dad was 50 when he had me, i was brought up old school, he had a tremendous work ethic, he used to tell me that anything having was worth working for, nowdays (mostly my generation) want something for nothing, lol and now apparently you've an ego if you work hard...unbelievable.

Thought's or comments?
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
Just got done with leg training, which was leverage leg presses, calf presses and seated back extension machine. Didnt go to all out failure, stopped a rep short each time.

Bar the day I was hiking last week, this is now my 16th day training in a row. I dont say that in a boastful way, I always plan a few days off then end up not taking them, over the last few years Ive stuggled with taking days off, the way I see it, if my body REALLY needs a day off it'll stop me from training. Truth be told, I sometimes went for 3 months without a single rest day. Of course, ive had to change my ways, ive had to vary intensity, volume, exercises, equipment used etc, cant go low reps and heavy every workout.

Why train so frequently? Am under no illusion that ill not pack on more muscle and increase strength every single workout, but If I dont train my back stiffens up like a board, it also helps with my mental state.

Recently I was on Bill Sahli's HIT facebook page I noticed a comment left by an individual on his most recent post, it read "I think most people train in an overtrained state due to the frequency ego".
What the f@#k is the "frequency ego" when its at home? I love these terms these people come up with.
Ive no ego, I just believe that inactivity is death and that running water never goes stale. My dad was 50 when he had me, i was brought up old school, he had a tremendous work ethic, he used to tell me that anything having was worth working for, nowdays (mostly my generation) want something for nothing, lol and now apparently you've an ego if you work hard...unbelievable.

Thought's or comments?


i agree with the terms individuals come up with, it makes them sound so smart, lol
i myself are the opposite, i don't want to train everyday (with weights that is), however i do hit the gym to do the treadmill for a minimum of 20 minutes on my off training days. Also, on my off days i like to hit the driving range and practice hitting golf balls. if i did not do that i would probably go everyday and hit one part body part each day just to have something to do.
if you want something, it should be earned not given

Open User Options Menu

mrbear

Hi Rob, i took your advice and joined up, mainly to follow your journey, but it looks like a good forum so i'm looking forward to having a look around too. Keep up the good work your an inspiration to many.


mike.
Open User Options Menu

mrbear

Edited due to posting twice.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

hit4me wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Just got done with leg training, which was leverage leg presses, calf presses and seated back extension machine. Didnt go to all out failure, stopped a rep short each time.

Bar the day I was hiking last week, this is now my 16th day training in a row. I dont say that in a boastful way, I always plan a few days off then end up not taking them, over the last few years Ive stuggled with taking days off, the way I see it, if my body REALLY needs a day off it'll stop me from training. Truth be told, I sometimes went for 3 months without a single rest day. Of course, ive had to change my ways, ive had to vary intensity, volume, exercises, equipment used etc, cant go low reps and heavy every workout.

Why train so frequently? Am under no illusion that ill not pack on more muscle and increase strength every single workout, but If I dont train my back stiffens up like a board, it also helps with my mental state.

Recently I was on Bill Sahli's HIT facebook page I noticed a comment left by an individual on his most recent post, it read "I think most people train in an overtrained state due to the frequency ego".
What the f@#k is the "frequency ego" when its at home? I love these terms these people come up with.
Ive no ego, I just believe that inactivity is death and that running water never goes stale. My dad was 50 when he had me, i was brought up old school, he had a tremendous work ethic, he used to tell me that anything having was worth working for, nowdays (mostly my generation) want something for nothing, lol and now apparently you've an ego if you work hard...unbelievable.

Thought's or comments?

i agree with the terms individuals come up with, it makes them sound so smart, lol
i myself are the opposite, i don't want to train everyday (with weights that is), however i do hit the gym to do the treadmill for a minimum of 20 minutes on my off training days. Also, on my off days i like to hit the driving range and practice hitting golf balls. if i did not do that i would probably go everyday and hit one part body part each day just to have something to do.
if you want something, it should be earned not given



100% man, if anything its the infreqent crowd that have the ego, its them who case strength increases every workout (on the same exercises), thinking that thats progress, then boast about how they train for just 10 mintues every few weeks lol.

Open User Options Menu

sirloin

mrbear wrote:
Hey Rob, took your advice and signed up. Looks like a good site so am looking forward to following your journey and learning from everyone. keep up the good work pal your an inspiration to many.

Mike.


Haha, hey bud good ta see ya, and thanks mate.
Indeed, lots of experience and knowledge man:)
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

Hi Rob,
Are you working out on machines exclusively? If so, is this due to past injuries, personal preference or simply limited equipment at your gym?

Best,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Ray200 wrote:
Hi Rob,
Are you working out on machines exclusively? If so, is this due to past injuries, personal preference or simply limited equipment at your gym?

Best,
Ray


Hey Ray,

Machines and cables only mate. Ive 3 gym memberships, one has Hammer & Life Fitness, one has Matrix - both plate loaded and stack, and the other has Technogym - both plated loaded and stack.

Ive always had a preference for machines, simply because i just want to focus on the effort, not skill. And indeed, they allow me to work around old injuries, my back problem being the worst one.

This of course is just my preferance:)

Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Doing my best to keep the carbs down, grass fed chilli beef and butternut squash boddles for dinner.
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

Hi Rob,
Yes, just wondering. I seem to recall you did squats for a while and wasn't sure if you'd decided enough was enough considering your back problems. If you get equal or better results with machines, go for it. Access to 3 gyms ... perfect.

Best,
R
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy