MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Turpins Log
First | Prev | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Turpin

hit4me wrote:
Turpin,

I just reviewed your entire log history and have viewed your videos, the weight you move is pretty impressive and your physique indicates you have progressed tremendously over the years, however, I have some questions as I am looking to revise my training:

when did you decide to change from HIT to GIRONDAs style of training and why?

It appears you went from once a week training to 3x, do you still follow the full body split or do you split your body up?

With the poundages you lift, have you injured yourself?

thx, dan


Ive been training 35yrs and over that time have tried many modalities ( outwith my competitive powerlifting some years back ) and had used Gironda's advocated methods with much success over some years in the past. So when I tried HIT and realised ( after some years of wasted effort ) that I had regressed in musculature I resorted once more to a method that had worked previously ( with a few tweaks of my own ) .. that being volume and heavy resistance by way of cumulative fatigue.

I train x 3 weekly on alternate days with an upper / lower split ( Sun: upperbody, Tues: Lowerbody, Thurs : upperbody Sun: lowerbody etc )

Yes , I have had injuries in the past from powerlifting , but to-date at age 50yrs I have had a prolonged period of injury free training from training short of maximum effort or failure .

T.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Upped the anti these past few workouts after reading some of Brooks Kubik that Ian Duckett kindly put me onto , real no-nonsense training . Today was Deadlifts and I pre-exhausted the hamstrings with GHR`s x 10 reps before each working set in an attempt to get the quads more involved ( thus saving my old back to a degree ) ,ending at 250kg/550lbs x 3 reps ..... felt strong & fast ( altho a little light headed on the last LOL )
I used these `new deadlift deadeners` on the floor , great product that should save me a fortune on replacing a busted up gym floor Wink

workout went :

GHR`s : pre-exhaust , 5 sets x 10 reps )

Trap bar : 210 x 3 220 x 3 , 230 x 3 , 240 x 3 , 250 x 3

Seated calf raise : 4 sets x 25 reps

Toes to bar leg raise : 4 sets x 10 reps

Video : https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=0nJ7AdTgDcs


T.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

20/10/15 Workout was :

Overhead press : 5 x 5 reps / Wide pullups : 5 x 10 reps

Gironda dip : 3 x 10 reps / KB Row : 3 x 10 reps

FAT Bar curl : 3 x 10 reps / FAT Bar CGBP : 3 X 10 reps

Face pull : 3 x 10 reps

video : https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=7zcYnBtRFHI

....................

B`fast : 3 eggs in butter , 1 toast , coffee.

Lunch: Tuna salad , diet coke & grapes.

Evening meal : 2 fried chicken thighs , greens .

Supper : cottage cheese , blueberries , walnuts.

T.
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

Turpin wrote:

Ive been training 35yrs and over that time have tried many modalities ( outwith my competitive powerlifting some years back ) and had used Gironda's advocated methods with much success over some years in the past. So when I tried HIT and realised ( after some years of wasted effort ) that I had regressed in musculature I resorted once more to a method that had worked previously ( with a few tweaks of my own ) .. that being volume and heavy resistance by way of cumulative fatigue.

I train x 3 weekly on alternate days with an upper / lower split ( Sun: upperbody, Tues: Lowerbody, Thurs : upperbody Sun: lowerbody etc )

Yes , I have had injuries in the past from powerlifting , but to-date at age 50yrs I have had a prolonged period of injury free training from training short of maximum effort or failure .

T.



I'm curious about how you manage rest times between sets.

From what I can gather, Gironda like to do lots of volume with relatively little rest between sets (e.g., 8x8 with 15 to 30 seconds rest between sets). That would necessarily impose limits on how heavy you could go. Yet at times, you obviously do heavier work with doubles or triples.

So do you have a particular strategy for adjusting rest times?

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Average Al wrote:
Turpin wrote:

Ive been training 35yrs and over that time have tried many modalities ( outwith my competitive powerlifting some years back ) and had used Gironda's advocated methods with much success over some years in the past. So when I tried HIT and realised ( after some years of wasted effort ) that I had regressed in musculature I resorted once more to a method that had worked previously ( with a few tweaks of my own ) .. that being volume and heavy resistance by way of cumulative fatigue.

I train x 3 weekly on alternate days with an upper / lower split ( Sun: upperbody, Tues: Lowerbody, Thurs : upperbody Sun: lowerbody etc )

Yes , I have had injuries in the past from powerlifting , but to-date at age 50yrs I have had a prolonged period of injury free training from training short of maximum effort or failure .

T.



I'm curious about how you manage rest times between sets.

From what I can gather, Gironda like to do lots of volume with relatively little rest between sets (e.g., 8x8 with 15 to 30 seconds rest between sets). That would necessarily impose limits on how heavy you could go. Yet at times, you obviously do heavier work with doubles or triples.

So do you have a particular strategy for adjusting rest time.


On my main lifts ( 5 x 5 or 3 x 3 ) I rest approx. 3 mins between sets/supersets.
On my supplementary work thereafter I use a breathing / hyperventilating format of 15 breaths between sets . The latter can be / is tough to complete , but it serves a purpose.

T.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

05/01/16

12 week training cycle concluded with a trap bar deadlift @ 605 lbs x 3 reps at 160lb bodyweight.

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=65PefOmv_r4

T.
Open User Options Menu

DukeMatisse

Awesome!

Next cycle is 4? bodyweight trap bar deadlift: DO IT!
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Turpin wrote:
05/01/16

12 week training cycle concluded with a trap bar deadlift @ 605 lbs x 3 reps at 160lb bodyweight.

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=65PefOmv_r4

T.


Very impressive!
Open User Options Menu

Gainz

Turpin

Very impressive lifts as always.

I just wanted to ask you hypothetical question if I could; I know you follow a very low carb approach in the interest of keeping a very lean level of conditioning however, let's say you decided to switch your goals towards maximum bodyweight/muscle gain (bulking), I imagine in that case you would greatly increase your carbs and calories in general, but would you also change anything regarding your current training program in terms of, for example, more/less volume etc?

Thanks
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Gainz wrote:
Turpin

Very impressive lifts as always.

I just wanted to ask you hypothetical question if I could; I know you follow a very low carb approach in the interest of keeping a very lean level of conditioning however, let's say you decided to switch your goals towards maximum bodyweight/muscle gain (bulking), I imagine in that case you would greatly increase your carbs and calories in general, but would you also change anything regarding your current training program in terms of, for example, more/less volume etc?

Thanks


If I was training for physique purpose , then I would follow a targeted muscle training programme of moderate weight only and perform reps that were more in the hypertrophy range ( for me ).
Legs : 10+ reps , Calves : 25+ reps upperbody : 8+ reps , Arms : 10+ reps

Sets : would be 5-8 per exercise with the objective of cumulative fatigue and never to failure .
I would be chasing fatigue and NOT performance so the respite would be minimal between sets ( 10-15 breaths / hyperventilating ) and the workout would be brief.

Diet : would be Low carb , high fat , moderate protein with a high glycemic index carb spike post workout . And I would be monitoring the mirror ( not scale ) for changes in body composition , as we don't wish to be FAT.

T.


Open User Options Menu

Gainz

Thanks for the reply Turpin.

Some very good points to ponder
Open User Options Menu

Bastion

Turpin


If I was training for physique purpose , then I would follow a targeted muscle training programme of moderate weight only and perform reps that were more in the hypertrophy range ( for me ).
Legs : 10+ reps , Calves : 25+ reps upperbody : 8+ reps , Arms : 10+ reps

Sets : would be 5-8 per exercise with the objective of cumulative fatigue and never to failure .
I would be chasing fatigue and NOT performance so the respite would be minimal between sets ( 10-15 breaths / hyperventilating ) and the workout would be brief.

Diet : would be Low carb , high fat , moderate protein with a high glycemic index carb spike post workout . And I would be monitoring the mirror ( not scale ) for changes in body composition , as we don't wish to be FAT.

T.




That's some very solid advice right there T!.

Do you know where it's possible to find some of Vince Gironda's written material?. Unleashing The Wild Physique goes for almost $150.00. I'd like to read what he wrote about 6x6 8x8 15x4 10/8/6/15 etc. It's been easy to track down most of his dietary advice, but his written training material seems obscure?. A few other authors have written books on his system, could you recommend one?.

Thanks T!.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Good source here for Gironda as well as materials for sale (cheaper than $150).

ironguru.com
Open User Options Menu

Bastion

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Good source here for Gironda as well as materials for sale (cheaper than $150).

ironguru.com


Thank you HeavyHitter!. Much appreciated. I've just ordered a couple of the iron guru's training courses. I see his book can be downloaded for much less than amazon is asking for hardcover.

Thanks again!
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Bastion wrote:
Turpin


If I was training for physique purpose , then I would follow a targeted muscle training programme of moderate weight only and perform reps that were more in the hypertrophy range ( for me ).
Legs : 10+ reps , Calves : 25+ reps upperbody : 8+ reps , Arms : 10+ reps

Sets : would be 5-8 per exercise with the objective of cumulative fatigue and never to failure .
I would be chasing fatigue and NOT performance so the respite would be minimal between sets ( 10-15 breaths / hyperventilating ) and the workout would be brief.

Diet : would be Low carb , high fat , moderate protein with a high glycemic index carb spike post workout . And I would be monitoring the mirror ( not scale ) for changes in body composition , as we don't wish to be FAT.

T.




That's some very solid advice right there T!.

Do you know where it's possible to find some of Vince Gironda's written material?. Unleashing The Wild Physique goes for almost $150.00. I'd like to read what he wrote about 6x6 8x8 15x4 10/8/6/15 etc. It's been easy to track down most of his dietary advice, but his written training material seems obscure?. A few other authors have written books on his system, could you recommend one?.

Thanks T!.


If there was one book I would recommend on Gironda it is Daryl Conants `Invincible`.
It is the most comprehensive book on Vinces work out there bar none .
It is 800 pages of ALL of Vinces courses and diets.
Available from Amazon .

T.

Open User Options Menu

Bastion

Turpin wrote:


If there was one book I would recommend on Gironda it is Daryl Conants `Invincible`.
It is the most comprehensive book on Vinces work out there bar none .
It is 800 pages of ALL of Vinces courses and diets.
Available from Amazon .

T.



Thank you again T!. I am looking into this. Much appreciated!.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Haven't updated my log for some time , mostly due to the fact that my training has remained constant with only very minor change to assistance / smaller exercise and subsequently to update regularly is just repetitive.
I did take some pics last week in order to ascertain the worth of my present training method on my physique. And even at 50yrs I can see areas of improvement . My low back in particular has definitely improved with the implementation of HEAVY deadlifts over the past couple of years . ( pic above ) and consequently my well being ( after years of low back troubles ) has improved also.

T.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Training still going well and coming to the end of another 12 week training block . This week I conclude with 620lbs + on the trap bar and then look to prepare for the `British drug free powerlifting assoc`. qualifiers ( single lift comp / deadlift )later this year.

My diet has ( as ever ) been consistently high fat / low carbs and TBH I have become very strict on my carb count as the weeks have progressed and as a consequence my training focus ( & condition ) has improved no-end . It always amazes me how things all come together mentally and physically when in the weeks leading to personal best efforts one is completely focussed.

T.

Open User Options Menu

Dan_The_man

Excellent stuff.
Open User Options Menu

Frank Scott

Good luck with the qualifiers Turps.
At what weight do you hope to compete?
What is your bodyweight now?
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Frank Scott wrote:
Good luck with the qualifiers Turps.
At what weight do you hope to compete?
What is your bodyweight now?


Cheers guys. Presently I am 160lbs and intend to compete in the 165lb class , so I have a bit of leeway if I feel I need to eat some more BUT TBH at 50 yrs old I am comfortable at this weight and my best lifting in the past was at similar weight/condition.

T.

Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

Are you sure you don't want to bulk up so that the fat can turn to muscle and you'll lift more? :-)
Open User Options Menu

cmg

Looking as great as ever Turpin!

Best regards,
Ron
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Brian Johnston wrote:
Are you sure you don't want to bulk up so that the fat can turn to muscle and you'll lift more? :-)


Ha , ha ... I`ll take the risk of retarding my lifting Brian thanks LOL

T.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

cmg wrote:
Looking as great as ever Turpin!

Best regards,
Ron


Cheers Ron.

T.

Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy