MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Rob's 'No More Excuses' Log
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

sirloin

Decided to keep a log here and will hold myself accountable. Am not trying to break records or compete in anything, just want to be the best i can be inspite of many health issues....hence the log title.

Background: Ive been training since the early 90's, mostly in martial arts to began with, then fell in love with the iron.
Ive trained in HIT style since the around 98, however 14 years ago to the day i suffered a stroke that took several years to fully recover from. During this time i went from a lean 220lb @ 6'4 to a decondioned 310lb.
On top of this i was diagnosed a few years back with degenerative disc disease, an irregular heart beat, and mental health issues (bipolar).
After losing two close family members in the last 4 months, ive shot up 40lbs (current weight 280lbs). Time to stop using excuses!!!

Current training: 3 days on / 2 off, with back and chest on day one, arms and shoulders day two and legs day 3. I tend to stick with just one or two exercises per bodypart, but i alter how i perform them each time, low to meduim volume. Am not a form nazi,i feel its impossable to truely overload a muscle with "perfect" form, this being said, for tut sets i'll alter the cadance etc. I hope to get some footage up in the next few weeks.

Open User Options Menu

sirloin

My stroke arm lol
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Ill have better pics going forward
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Diet / supplements

Lean grass fed meats (lamb, beef, turkey and venison). No chicken.or pork. Skyr yoguart, berries, veggies, whole eggs, nuts, spices etc

Supps:
-bcca's
-pre workout
-bulletproof coffee / mct oil
-vit c
-vit d3
-chelated magnesium
-fish oil
-flaxseed oil
-cla

Had blood work done, am lacking in the vits above and mag, so these are now on the menu.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Current meds
- 30/500 co-codamol (for back pain)
- diazepam 5-10mg (for when back pain is really bad)
- 75mg asprin
- bendroflumethizide (blood pressure)
- escitalopram (for bipolar)

Am mentioning these, as they do come with negative side efforts, the goal is to get off all of them little by little.
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Good deal!
man sorry about your health issues, what kind of stroke did you have? How well did you recover? Sounds like really well if you can lift weights, which if so, is very cool.

Best wishes on this!
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Nwlifter wrote:
Good deal!
man sorry about your health issues, what kind of stroke did you have? How well did you recover? Sounds like really well if you can lift weights, which if so, is very cool.

Best wishes on this!


Thank you....

Id the stroke at 24, it left me with a complete paralysis of my full left side, an MRI confirmed a part of my
Brain is dead. However, with time my brain adapted and found a way around the problem (the neurologist said this would happen). For a long time after i had numbness in the left side if overworked or tired. But i was able to resume training 5 years ago.

But, what happened..happened, life rolls the dice and the chips fall were they do, i considor myself one of the lucky ones.
This log was meant to be called Robs "no more excuses" log (dont know what happened), and it'll do as it says on the tin:)

Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Been using this supplement for the last few weeks and can certianly feel the benefit, its helps with cortisol build up in my blood type (B), i getting a much better nights sleep.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Helps if i showed it
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Keep Fighting, man! Very inspirational undertaking you have going here. I look forward to following your progress.

Best Regards,
Scott

P.S. What supp is helping you with the cortisol?
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

Considering your health history you've lifted some impressive numbers, if memory serves. Great to see you doing this training log.

Best,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Keep up the progress, Sirloin! Great job.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Thanks for the support guys:)

Scott, its called cortiguard, blood type B's and A's dont disperse it too well, this helps with that. Blood type O's and AB's dont do well with catecholamines, for them a supplement called catechol is better . Been learning about this for a friend who's a geneticist. We worked in the same lab department in a local hospital.

Dr D, thanks for fixing the title:)


Open User Options Menu

Frank Scott

You have to really mean business,you have to shit or bust,and you must avoid AOL . Apparently
Open User Options Menu

acas1959

Moving story, you are a remarkable young man ... Those are guns Sir!!!

Keep us posted

Regards,
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

acas1959 wrote:
Moving story, you are a remarkable young man ... Those are guns Sir!!!

Keep us posted

Regards,


Thanks mate, much appreciated:)

Since the stroke i look to others who've overcome and adapted, the likes of Chad Shaw being one of those. I found the best way to deal with such illness is to have a sense of humor and take the piss out of myself:)

With Arm training, i only ever train my biceps statically, hit them today with 8-12 second max holds on the matrix preacher curl machine @ 245lb, for triceps - low incline smith machine benches (shoulder width grip), main set was 4 full range rest pause reps @ 260lb.
Finshed up with machine lateral raises, 1 max static hold @ 255lb, then one set of bottom range partials to failure.
Next time for biceps i'll use the tecgnogym biceps machine, its kinda like an inclinw curl, ill preform the hold in the mid position on the first hold and then i sit forward and hold in the bottom position for the second one. I'll combine that with power pushdown's.

Wanted to get sone footage or pics, today but my training partner / nephew didnt make it, the bum was hungover lol. Ill get something up over the next few weeks though.

Cheers Rob

Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Frank Scott wrote:
You have to really mean business,you have to shit or bust,and you must avoid AOL . Apparently


Cheers Frank, am more motovited than ever:)
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Forgot about this, its organic grass fed hormone free whey (German cows i believe), its expense but worth it, really creamy, for flavour i add ethier organic vanilla powder or cacao
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

you have overcome a great obstacle, very inspiring

I do have a question though....are you concerned of going to extreme failure and possibly triggering another stroke, what does your doctor say about your training and HIT
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

hit4me wrote:
you have overcome a great obstacle, very inspiring

I do have a question though....are you concerned of going to extreme failure and possibly triggering another stroke, what does your doctor say about your training and HIT


Thanks mate...

I dont carry that kind of fear around with me. This is my passion in life. I was talking last week with my friend who speailises in genetics, hes advised me against it.
I replyed "do you think when a motor cyclist competes and is doing close to 200mph hes worried about what might happen"? I went on "how many boxers have been killed in the ring over the years? How my rugby players have broken their necks? How many rock and mountain climbers have fallen to their deaths?"

I recently lost a close uncle, who all his life was a good living fit healthy man. He died from parkisons and advanced cancer of the blatter at a very average age.

When were striving to be our best at something, things may go wrong now and then, thats the risk we take, as the sayimg goes "its better to live a year like a tiger, than a 100 years like a pussy" lol.




Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
hit4me wrote:
you have overcome a great obstacle, very inspiring

I do have a question though....are you concerned of going to extreme failure and possibly triggering another stroke, what does your doctor say about your training and HIT

Thanks mate...

I dont carry that kind of fear around with me. This is my passion in life. I was talking last week with my friend who speailises in genetics, hes advised me against it.
I replyed "do you think when a motor cyclist competes and is doing close to 200mph hes worried about what might happen"? I went on "how many boxers have been killed in the ring over the years? How my rugby players have broken their necks? How many rock and mountain climbers have fallen to their deaths?"

I recently lost a close uncle, who all his life was a good living fit healthy man. He died from parkisons and advanced cancer of the blatter at a very average age.

When were striving to be our best at something, things may go wrong now and then, thats the risk we take, as the sayimg goes "its better to live a year like a tiger, than a 100 years like a pussy" lol.






well said my friend, keep going

Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Trained back and chest today, one arm hammer rows @ 209lb / 95kg per arm, got 2 sets of 10 then 9, last set to fail. Next up was pec deck flye (life fitness), 2 max static holds with the @ 391lb / 177.5kg (stack + 25kg disc attached) + training partner applying hard manuel pressure on the top of the stack. Finnished up with static underhand grip pulldowns, one hold to failure with 130kg.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Going hiking tomorrow, picnic is prepared...
Organic turkey and veggies, with organic almond butter, rice cakes and bananas for snacks, ill also be sipping ammino's (20g) throughout the day.
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

I get where you are coming from with not worrying, but is static training the best option? Presumably the blood pressure goes way up, I'm thinking more so than normal rom training, but could be wrong. I'm speaking as someone who had a scare on a %5 degree leg press years ago, what I suspect was a very minor stroke.
That said, you are an inspiration, can't commend you enough!
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

StuKE wrote:
I get where you are coming from with not worrying, but is static training the best option? Presumably the blood pressure goes way up, I'm thinking more so than normal rom training, but could be wrong. I'm speaking as someone who had a scare on a %5 degree leg press years ago, what I suspect was a very minor stroke.
That said, you are an inspiration, can't commend you enough!

I meant to say I am not suggesting you shouldn't train, just perhaps some methods may be better for you than others. I am sure you will know your own body best though.
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy