MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
It's Here: The New Bodybuilding...
First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

the_shoe92

Dr. Darden,
I will be starting the metabolic training you described in chapter 26 of your new book. However, I do not have access to any sort of equipment other than a pull up bar. What would you suggest doing in place of dips? Thank you for your time
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Try pushups instead of dips.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

Grizzlyjay

I have a question on squats. i am very much new to them and im tryting to be good at them. i keep trying perform as described but i keep feeling it in my knees and lower back later on even though im squatting with lightweight to work on form. i try to keep my back as straight and upright as possible but im finding that difficult to do, and i try to bring my butt to the top of my calves. my feet are shoulder width apart. i do know im going below parallel.

am i going to low? i would try the leg press, leg extensions then squats as you put in your book, but woudlnt that be to much for someone who is new to squats?

Jason
Open User Options Menu

twogunz

Dr. Darden,

If per say you were doing an exercise, and you completed 9 reps. That 9th rep was as close to failure as possible, but you were able to complete it. I know your supposed to go to momentary muscular failure, which at that point would be at the very beginning of the 10th repetition. Do you suggest doing that, or say maybe one last super slow negative and help from a spotter with the positive instead of trying to perform that last repetition that you know you won't be able to do anyway??? Thanks

Ray A.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Grizzlyjay wrote:
I have a question on squats. i am very much new to them and im tryting to be good at them. i keep trying perform as described but i keep feeling it in my knees and lower back later on even though im squatting with lightweight to work on form. i try to keep my back as straight and upright as possible but im finding that difficult to do, and i try to bring my butt to the top of my calves. my feet are shoulder width apart. i do know im going below parallel.

am i going to low? i would try the leg press, leg extensions then squats as you put in your book, but woudlnt that be to much for someone who is new to squats?

Jason


Jason,

I'd suggest that you NOT try any pre-exhaust style training yet. Keep practicing the barbell squat and be patient.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

twogunz wrote:
Dr. Darden,

If per say you were doing an exercise, and you completed 9 reps. That 9th rep was as close to failure as possible, but you were able to complete it. I know your supposed to go to momentary muscular failure, which at that point would be at the very beginning of the 10th repetition. Do you suggest doing that, or say maybe one last super slow negative and help from a spotter with the positive instead of trying to perform that last repetition that you know you won't be able to do anyway??? Thanks

Ray A.


Ray,

You could do it either way. Try them both, compare, and you decide.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

Grizzlyjay

thanks for the response dr. darden. i'll keep at it.

Jason
Open User Options Menu

kevin13

Ontario, CAN

Dr. Darden,

I am unable to do negative dips and negative chinups at my gym. What would be good replacements for those?
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Substitute another upper-body pushing and pulling movement. For example for dips you could use the bench press, decline press, or even the pushup. For chins, you could apply the bent-over row, seated row, or pulldown on lat machine.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

kevin13

Ontario, CAN

Thank you very much.
Open User Options Menu

rnl

Dr. Darden

finishing up the best of the best this week. still want to put on more weight. unless you think otherwise planning to do the A-B Foundational Routine shown on page 219. stupid question - how do you alternate between workout A and workout B? is it every other day, every week? and how how long overall shd i stay on this routine?

thanks...
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

rnl wrote:
Dr. Darden

finishing up the best of the best this week. still want to put on more weight. unless you think otherwise planning to do the A-B Foundational Routine shown on page 219. stupid question - how do you alternate between workout A and workout B? is it every other day, every week? and how how long overall shd i stay on this routine?

thanks...


My suggestion would be to do it 5 times each two weeks. Do A, B, A, B, A in a two-week period. Then B, A, B, A, B the next two weeks. Do that twice, which would amount to 8 weeks.

Report back afterward.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

rnl

Ellington Darden wrote:
rnl wrote:
Dr. Darden

finishing up the best of the best this week. still want to put on more weight. unless you think otherwise planning to do the A-B Foundational Routine shown on page 219. stupid question - how do you alternate between workout A and workout B? is it every other day, every week? and how how long overall shd i stay on this routine?

thanks...

My suggestion would be to do it 5 times each two weeks. Do A, B, A, B, A in a two-week period. Then B, A, B, A, B the next two weeks. Do that twice, which would amount to 8 weeks.

Report back afterward.

Ellington



Dr:

thanks - that's a total of 20 work outs spread over the 8 wks, right?

Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden


Dr:

thanks - that's a total of 20 work outs spread over the 8 wks, right?

[/quote]


That's correct.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

rnl

Ellington Darden wrote:

Dr:

thanks - that's a total of 20 work outs spread over the 8 wks, right?




That's correct.

Ellington



Dr.

ok, as mentioned i'm finishing up best of the best. last day will be today, wednesday. then will take your advice and do the 20 workouts over 8 wks as you mention above. question - shd i pick up the new routine right away, i.e. this Friday, or take off a few more days? ( all things being equal i'd rather just pick up on friday).

also the best of the best was the "fun" 10 up and 5 down tempo. with the new routine i assume it reverts to the more sane 3/3 tempo, one set until failure but no more than 12 reps, correct? and what about rest between sets - i recall reading one min after upper body and 2 mins after lower - is this right?

one final question please - from my past emails i know your not a fan of "other exercises" but i have to ask - since i've done no cardio since doing the best of the best 2x (per your prior advice) is there any way i can work in some sprints over this 8 wk period coming up?

fyi love these workouts and take them and your advice very seriously; it's important to me that i make the best use of my tame and get the most out of the workouts. thank you.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

rnl,

* Rest Friday and over the weekend and begin on Monday.

* Apply 8-12 reps with a 3/3 tempo.

* 1-minute between upper-body exercises and 2-minutes between lower-body exercises is about right.

* Skip the sprinting.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

rnl

Ellington Darden wrote:
rnl,

* Rest Friday and over the weekend and begin on Monday.

* Apply 8-12 reps with a 3/3 tempo.

* 1-minute between upper-body exercises and 2-minutes between lower-body exercises is about right.

* Skip the sprinting.

Ellington


thank you...

Open User Options Menu

rnl

rnl wrote:
Ellington Darden wrote:
rnl,

* Rest Friday and over the weekend and begin on Monday.

* Apply 8-12 reps with a 3/3 tempo.

* 1-minute between upper-body exercises and 2-minutes between lower-body exercises is about right.

* Skip the sprinting.

Ellington


thank you...



Dr:

started the A routine yesterday - man, going from a 10 count to a 3 count is a trip...

anyway a couple questions pls... you present options for the exercises re barbells, dumbells, machines - does it make sense to switch those up or once you've chosen, remain consistent? and the bent-over raise you mention as no. 5 in the B work out is that head on bench, delt raise?

Open User Options Menu

rnl

Ellington Darden wrote:

Dr:

thanks - that's a total of 20 work outs spread over the 8 wks, right?




That's correct.

Ellington



Dr.

really trying to make this work but getting very frustrated. honestly, no question i lost overall mass since going from heavy split routines to HIT. started with best of best which went ok.

now that i'm on this A/B routine i'm losing more in my legs - it's obivious when i put on my pants - they're much looser - not good. i truly like the idea of HIT and that less is more. i have 4 kids, need to spend less time in gym, etc., but still want to see progress - i.e. weight and muscle gain. suggestions??

Open User Options Menu

rnl

rnl wrote:
Ellington Darden wrote:

Dr:

thanks - that's a total of 20 work outs spread over the 8 wks, right?




That's correct.

Ellington



Dr.

really trying to make this work but getting very frustrated. honestly, no question i lost overall mass since going from heavy split routines to HIT. started with best of best which went ok.

now that i'm on this A/B routine i'm losing more in my legs - it's obivious when i put on my pants - they're much looser - not good. i truly like the idea of HIT and that less is more. i have 4 kids, need to spend less time in gym, etc., but still want to see progress - i.e. weight and muscle gain. suggestions??



Dr. Darden:
not to be a pest but would appreciate a reply - otherwise i get the hint...

Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

ml,

Obviously, something is wrong. It could be as simple as not getting enough sleep or too much overall stress in your life. Or it could be a lack of intensity on your part, or a detail in your exercise form, or something entirely different.

All I can do at this stage is ramble. Be patient and ask some of the regulars for their take.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

rnl

Ellington Darden wrote:
ml,

Obviously, something is wrong. It could be as simple as not getting enough sleep or too much overall stress in your life. Or it could be a lack of intensity on your part, or a detail in your exercise form, or something entirely different.

All I can do at this stage is ramble. Be patient and ask some of the regulars for their take.

Ellington

got it doc, thanks. posted my "problem" in the discussion forum. already getting some feedback. will try and work thru it because for what it's worth really believe HIT is for me...
Open User Options Menu

HIT_STUDENT

Ohio, USA

So, ive read through the new HIT 4 times now, and today's my 21st birthday, would this be a good present to give myself ?

As im still in the very early stages of my HIT training,should i train for a while before bringing in a new text as to keep from giving myself a case of information overload, or would this be a valuable tool for me.


BTW, i love the stories in the New HIT, and i understand this has some great ones in it.


--JB
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

JB,

The new book reinforces everything that's in The New HIT. You won't suffer from an overload . . . and the stories will keep your attention.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

yatin883

Hi DR. Darden,
This is actually a couple questions. Is it possible to train with the H.I.T routine alone at home, with only barbells and dumbells, or a buddy to spot you is necessary? Also, have you included any info on the kind of diet and nutrition necessary to pack on muscle mass when using this program?
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy