MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
The Secret
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

majeklman

Michigan, USA

Dr. Darden- hello, again1

My name is Dr. Jeff Bell- I used to be a middle distance runner and cyclist. In 1973 I was diagnosed with a connective tissue disorder and advised to discontinue endurance exercise associated with percussion. I was a research tech, grad student at Colorado State University working with Dr. Pleese.

So I began working out in that dungeon along with casey, arthur, and several others. I have been training for over thirty years now- have gained about 60 ponds of lean muscle mass and am a very strong proponent of appropriate training methods.

I have always had supervision during my training sessions. Have had tremendous diversity ranging from standard 2-2-4 to super slow 5-5, 10-10 and 30-30, negative accentuated, neg only, negative emphasized, concentric/isometric/eccentric (3/3/3) sessions, hyperconcentric- (u took me through a session like that in deland). I could go on and on.

MY comment is this, however- for the past 2 weeks, 3 work outs, i have not had access to supervision and will not for the foreseeable future. Though i limit my sessions to about 8-10 exercises, 45-70 seconds of work that includes 10 seconds of 1 forced rep- i cannot train like this any longer. I am concerned that without having a helper i may regress. Do you have any suggestions??

I am 5'9" tall, 56yoa, ~14% bf by caliper (6 sites) and a true mesomorph.

Thank you, in advance,

Jeff
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Jeff,

At your age, you can expect some regression . . . and that's okay. Just don't let your percent body fat creep up. I'd suggest that you get leaner. You goal now should be to maintain your strength.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

majeklman

Michigan, USA

i dsidnt note my bw- 205.

I have yet to have lost any strength, some endurance has occurred.

thank you
Open User Options Menu

duesingbc

Illinois, USA

Dr. Darden,
Is there any possibility of e-mailing you directly with a question I may have, without posting it on the entire forum board? Also, I spoke with you briefly yesterday on the phone and I wanted to thank you for your time. It was really a pleasure speaking with you.

Blain
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Blain,

Go into the User Options below and select PM.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

duesingbc

Illinois, USA

Can someone please give me their opinion regarding cardiovascular workouts in addition to HIT? I'm currently on a full body tuesday, thursday, and saturday HIT workout, along with a monday, wednesday, friday cardio workout. I do 30 minutes on an elliptical machine for cardio. Is this overkill or am I still heading in the right direction?
Open User Options Menu

cmg

Ellington Darden wrote:
bdog wrote:
Ellington,

Would Casey Viator let you take him through a HIT session nowadays?

Bryan

Casey would probably say, "Sure," but only if he could put me through the same workout.

Ellington




Before and after pictures of Casey at this age - another experiement would be a great tool for showing how good HIT and personal training are.

Regards,

Ron
Open User Options Menu

JONKILCOYNE

Florida, USA

interesting idea...
Open User Options Menu

Tom71

It would be interesting to see how Casey would do.

Actually though, I'm pretty jazzed to see Eddie back. While he may qualify as "somewhat gifted", I think he represents a much more realistic set of genetic attributes as compared to the rest of us. Very interested to see what happens after Dr. Darden puts him through the paces.

Anyone know how old Eddie would be today?
Open User Options Menu

bugman

duesingbc wrote:
Can someone please give me their opinion regarding cardiovascular workouts in addition to HIT? I'm currently on a full body tuesday, thursday, and saturday HIT workout, along with a monday, wednesday, friday cardio workout. I do 30 minutes on an elliptical machine for cardio. Is this overkill or am I still heading in the right direction?


I too have wondered about this. I have been lurking and watching this thread since the 19th hoping for a reply.

Is cardio needed with HIT? Do I get all the same health benefits doing an HIT workout as I would with HIIT cardio? I had originally been adding the Cardio, but have stopped since I was concerned it may be impeding my recovery. Thanks

Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

bugman,

Whatever results you can achieve with traditional cardio exercise, you can get better results with HIT.

If you are trying to build your muscular size and strength, you do not need cardio. In fact, doing it will limit your results.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

duesingbc

Illinois, USA

Thank you Dr. Darden. If I understand the concept of what you are saying as I ponder other fitness aspects seems to be based upon two principles.

The first principle seems to be that the H.I.T. program is the opposite of a Traditional program and thus necessitates different phylosophies on what works.

The design of a Traditional body building program centers around maximum strength application over short duration time periods with long rest peroids in between sets. In contrast the H.I.T. program seems to focus on maximum strength over long duration periods with short rest periods in between sets.

Thus the H.I.T. program works the cardiovascular system far greater than a Traditional program that utilizes longer rest periods between sets without necessitating working to fatigue. Therefore it would seem that the need for extra cardiovascular work is not needed as the H.I.T. program is more fundamentally aerobic based vs. the Tradional program's more anerobic base. Is this correct?

The second principle I came up with is based upon my understanding that traditional cardiovascular workouts tend(running, biking, etc.) to break down muscle density/compactness. This would of course be counterproductive to the body building process while also further taxing the body's ability to more fully recover for the next H.I.T workout. Is this correct?
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

duesingbc wrote:
Thank you Dr. Darden. If I understand the concept of what you are saying as I ponder other fitness aspects seems to be based upon two principles.

The first principle seems to be that the H.I.T. program is the opposite of a Traditional program and thus necessitates different phylosophies on what works.

The design of a Traditional body building program centers around maximum strength application over short duration time periods with long rest peroids in between sets. In contrast the H.I.T. program seems to focus on maximum strength over long duration periods with short rest periods in between sets.

Thus the H.I.T. program works the cardiovascular system far greater than a Traditional program that utilizes longer rest periods between sets without necessitating working to fatigue. Therefore it would seem that the need for extra cardiovascular work is not needed as the H.I.T. program is more fundamentally aerobic based vs. the Tradional program's more anerobic base. Is this correct?

The second principle I came up with is based upon my understanding that traditional cardiovascular workouts tend(running, biking, etc.) to break down muscle density/compactness. This would of course be counterproductive to the body building process while also further taxing the body's ability to more fully recover for the next H.I.T workout. Is this correct?


Yes, to both of the principles above. Plus there's a third principle that deals with rest, sleep, and recovery.

The exercise, both aerobic and anaerobic, is the stimulus for growth. But that growth occurs, not during the exercise, but during the in-between times. That's why rest, sleep, and recovery are so important.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

duesingbc

Illinois, USA

I find it really strange how many individuals don't or can't comprehend the simplistic fundamentals of exercise. So many people in this world could benefit so much more if this "secret" were more universally understood. I currently workout 70-80 minutes a week, and I am in really good shape. Finishing my workout today, I was doing an arm specialization routine consisting of two pressdown machines, standing barbell curl, and a preacher curl exercise. I completed the workout in just about 18 minutes, taking each set to failure. As I was wrapping things up, a gentlemen that must have been paying attention stated "I know you're not done already." I told him that I was and that I wouldn't be exercising again until three days from now. With the disturbed look he gave me, I told him to have a nice day and I was on about my day. If I had more time, I would have explained more to him. I guess I just feel bad for the guys in the gym doing 15-20 sets per bodypart and getting far less results than me. Thank you Dr. Darden for your books and wisdom about proper exercise. I recommend your books to everyone that frequently approaches me asking "so what do you do to look like that?" Its too bad that they won't choose to believe the truth because of what the Muscle&Fitness and FLEX magazines are telling them, just so they can continue to sling their supplements. Continue to try and promote the truth people. Have a great day.
Open User Options Menu

mattvols

Tennessee, USA

Well Said.
Open User Options Menu

jastrain

if i had not picked up Darden's book,"the nautilus bodybuilding book" in 1982 i know i would have probably stopped working out shortly after 1982. prior to 1982 i was doing crazy workouts with no rhyme or reason. i was workingout everyday sets upon sets with no progress. that book change my life, it made perfect sence to me and i have been doing the nautilus, hit, workouts for almost 27 years!!!!!

the sad part is in that time [27yrs] i have seen probably only 1 or 2 people workout properly the entire time that i have been workingout[this includes the "trainers" at big commercial gyms]!!! this workout is the only way to progress over the long haul. 99.9% of anyone who joins a gym will give up in a year or so because they have no clue about proper strength training and this is mind warping to anyone who has read Darden's book.the science is so clear and the results are undisputable.but at least most gyms still carry nautilus machines, i am greatful for that.

i guess they have to stock the gyms with these big, shiney, machines to justify the $35 per month membership even though no one knows how to use them or wants to learn.the level of knowledge has not progressed one iota in my 27years of workingout in all of the big commercial gyms that i have been a member. if people only knew that they could pick up one book and it would keep them in perfect shape for their entire life. i did and i am extremely greatful to Darden and a.j..
Open User Options Menu

john38

Oklahoma, USA

Ellington Darden wrote:
bugman,

Whatever results you can achieve with traditional cardio exercise, you can get better results with HIT.

If you are trying to build your muscular size and strength, you do not need cardio. In fact, doing it will limit your results.

Ellington



Why would you tell someone this? This is not and has not ever been true. Cardio has always benefitted the bodybuilder. It helps to relieve muscle soreness and also rids the body of waste products. It also allows the muscles to function in a different what as opposed to the workout. There are several types of cardio other then treadmills. Kettlebells, rope-jumping, swimming, etc. All use the body in a different way and actually helps the muscles to recover from a workout. HIT will not burn off excess fat by itself. That's already been proven. Given your recently posted workout even you know this is true.
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

So John you claim strength training cannot burn off excess fat, and that only cardio can do this, then you clearly have never done any real strength training. I have not done any cardio in my training for a long time, but yet I eat huge amounts of food and have a body fat percentage of 10%, and a clear six pack, without cardio to burn off the calories I consume. So how did I acheive this with only strength training???????
Open User Options Menu

john38

Oklahoma, USA

Mr. Intensity wrote:
So John you claim strength training cannot burn off excess fat, and that only cardio can do this, then you clearly have never done any real strength training. I have not done any cardio in my training for a long time, but yet I eat huge amounts of food and have a body fat percentage of 10%, and a clear six pack, without cardio to burn off the calories I consume. So how did I acheive this with only strength training???????



I never said weight training would not burn off fat. I was responding to Darden's remark about cardio being detrimental to results from HIT. It's a proven fact that cardio can and does support weight/fat loss during weight training and even helps in the recovery of a heavy training session. Not knowing you I can't even validate your claims and you're probably lying but I won't go into that. It is too well documented, even by Jones himself that cardio is very helpful in weight training if used wisely. Will HIT alone burn off all the fat you want? not without proper diet and even then probably not as much as if you were to add a cardio session or two.
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

HIT will burn off any fat you want to remove, just as any strength training will, and strength training also burns more calories during and after your workouts. Obviously if you half arse your workouts like a lot of people do and neglect your strength training then you will not see these results, but if you put forth maximum effort I can guarantee results.

Sure cardio also does this but usually requires more time, and exercises like running are more likely to lead to addicitive behavior, which is not good.
Open User Options Menu

john38

Oklahoma, USA

Mr. Intensity wrote:
HIT will burn off any fat you want to remove, just as any strength training will, and strength training also burns more calories during and after your workouts. Obviously if you half arse your workouts like a lot of people do and neglect your strength training then you will not see these results, but if you put forth maximum effort I can guarantee results.

Sure cardio also does this but usually requires more time, and exercises like running are more likely to lead to addicitive behavior, which is not good.


Addictive behavior? You're going with that? Is it any more addictive than working out? No. Does it require more time? Depends on the exercise. a brisk walk for twenty minutes a few times a week may take some time. 3 sets of KB swings doesn't take quite as much.

Swimming for an hour, sure. But you're missing the point. It helps with workouts which is what my orignal gripe was about. Will HIT burn off all my excess fat alone? No. Will it help me build more muscle that aids in the burning of fat?

Yes, but that's all it really does. Facts are facts are facts. This was proven years ago. If you think not ask darden why he's on a 4-5 day a week routine instead of 2-3 like jones suggested? His reasoning? To maintain muscle. Won't 2-3 HIT sessions do that?

He writes about it all the time and says it will but he does not practice what he preaches and he does not lead by example. There ae numerous examples of people who use cardio in HIT workouts simply because it adds to it.

And I wouldn't be so narrow minded to suggest cardio is just running or walking. It can be anything. A friendly football game, playing with your dog, etc.
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

HIT will burn off all of your excess fat. If it does not then how am I at a low bodyfat percentage all of the time, regardless of how much food I eat. I've seen fat people swimming, cycling, walking, but never performing pull ups, dips, one leg squats, why????????
Open User Options Menu

john38

Oklahoma, USA

Mr. Intensity wrote:
HIT will burn off all of your excess fat. If it does not then how am I at a low bodyfat percentage all of the time, regardless of how much food I eat. I've seen fat people swimming, cycling, walking, but never performing pull ups, dips, one leg squats, why????????


Well, let's look at the facts.
1. I don't know what your BF% is and
even if you say it's one thing
you're probably lying.

2. The fat people see don't care
about doing squats, etc. and
probably eat more than you or
I do combined.

3. You have a naturally high
metabolism that keeps your
bodyfat low (if you are
telling the truth).

You have offered no proof that HIT burns bodyfat completely so that argument is moot at this point.
Open User Options Menu

coomo

john38 wrote:
Mr. Intensity wrote:
HIT will burn off all of your excess fat. If it does not then how am I at a low bodyfat percentage all of the time, regardless of how much food I eat. I've seen fat people swimming, cycling, walking, but never performing pull ups, dips, one leg squats, why????????

Well, let's look at the facts.
1. I don't know what your BF% is and
even if you say it's one thing
you're probably lying.

2. The fat people see don't care
about doing squats, etc. and
probably eat more than you or
I do combined.

3. You have a naturally high
metabolism that keeps your
bodyfat low (if you are
telling the truth).

You have offered no proof that HIT burns bodyfat completely so that argument is moot at this point.

Obviously john38 you have never trained hard in your life.You contradict virtually every one on this forum probably because you are not willing or able to train Hard.

that is why you label superslow as useless,because you have not got the ability to work at the required level ,to achieve meaningful results.If you knew anything about exercise, you would know that doing cardio will hinder the muscle building progress,when did you last see a muscular(as in big) marathon runner.

i used ti lift weights when i was fighting,but never gained any muscle.this was because i was running, sparring etc so my body never got a chance to get stronger.once again you have proven what an ignorant dope you are.Good boy! good boy! roll over! play dead!
Open User Options Menu

john38

Oklahoma, USA

coomo wrote:
john38 wrote:
i used ti lift weights when i was fighting,but never gained any muscle.this was because i was running, sparring etc so my body never got a chance to get stronger.once again you have proven what an ignorant dope you are.Good boy! good boy! roll over! play dead!


And your point? Maybe you didn't gain because your recovery was not complete. Maybe you are one of those that are prone to overtraining. Maybe you're just flat out lying, who knows?

As far as superslow and that crap, it's on another thread so debate it there. This is about cardio and HIT. The facts are there and you can call me all the names you want cummo, it doesnt' bother me in the least. Now let me get back to service your Mom. MMMMMMMMMMM.
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Starr
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy