MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Turpins Log
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

eintology

California, USA

Turpin,

Very complete, as you even have the coveted vastus medialis going on there.

Good work.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

cmg wrote:
Great job Turpin! Very impressive video and pictures. I will be curious on how your leg development holds up from working them only once every 3 -4 weeks (if I am reading that correctly).

Keep us apprised!!

Ron


Thanks Ron , Well if this weeks leg press workout was anything to go by after 3 weeks respite I think ( short term ) the added rest may do them some good.
I`ll certainly keep you appraised of my progress. I`ll attempt a video of my next leg day.

Best wishes , T.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

It would be interesting to see someone do similar study with pics over 8 weeks whilst doing volume training or `dual factor` training.
Whether this `experiment` of mine worked or not I was willing to post pics/videos weekly in order to validate ( or otherwise ) such training method. It could easily all have `backfired` on me.

I am at present making further progress after halving the routine ( x 2 compound movements & 1 isolation x 1 weekly )

W/O 1; Chin/Dip/Shrug
W/O 2; Leg press/Sh.press/Back ext.

I`ll provide periodic updates by way of pics/video of any further progress.
I just wish others who vouch for THEIR training method would do likewise , we are all here to learn , and I for one am open minded but remain unconvinced at such claims of terrific gains with HVT by the lack of pics and/or video evidence of such.

BTW; I certainly not knocking anyones training methods or theories behind such , I AM genuinely very interested in seeing case studies of such.

T.

Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Sorry if I missed the initial variables of the "TUL Study" but could you lay out what you were doing Before vs. After? (sets, performance, TUL, etc.)

Thanks,
Scott
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

simon-hecubus wrote:
Sorry if I missed the initial variables of the "TUL Study" but could you lay out what you were doing Before vs. After? (sets, performance, TUL, etc.)

Thanks,
Scott


Before the `study` I was performing similar to what I am doing at present , which is consolidated training x 1 weekly of 2/3 exercises performing 1 working set TF of each ( 5 reps upper body & 10 + reps for legs at a 4-2-4 cadence ) after 2 warm up sets of 5 reps light and 3 reps moderate weight. Progress was measured by reps and/or resistance used workout- workout ( no TUL was recorded )

W/O 1; Pulldowns / Dips
W/O 2; Leg press/ U/rows

For the 8 workout study , I basically amalgamated the 2 workouts & increased the intensity by employing zero rest between exercises , ( which I believe really kickstarted my metabolic rate ) , no warm ups and employed a single rep/static hold on upper body work , the latter made the recording of TUL ( where I aimed for 40+ sec) simple, accurate and progress easily chartable.
After seeing my recovery extend beyond 11-14 days I am now back to 2/3 exercises TF again ( as posted above ) x 1 weekly and using techniques such as rest pause , static holds etc on 1 exercise only per workout ( to keep in line with my recovery ability ) with good result.

T.

Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Turpin wrote:
...For the 8 workout study , I basically amalgamated the 2 workouts & increased the intensity by employing zero rest between exercises, (which I believe really kickstarted my metabolic rate), no warm ups and employed a single rep/static hold on upper body work , the latter made the recording of TUL ( where I aimed for 40+ sec) simple, accurate and progress easily chartable...


What TUL did you shoot for before upping the wts?

Or did you basically increase the wts each session and gauge by the TUL whether your strength increases were sufFicient?
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

simon-hecubus wrote:
Turpin wrote:
...For the 8 workout study , I basically amalgamated the 2 workouts & increased the intensity by employing zero rest between exercises, (which I believe really kickstarted my metabolic rate), no warm ups and employed a single rep/static hold on upper body work , the latter made the recording of TUL ( where I aimed for 40+ sec) simple, accurate and progress easily chartable...

What TUL did you shoot for before upping the wts?

Or did you basically increase the wts each session and gauge by the TUL whether your strength increases were sufFicient?


The TUL remained fairly constant for upperbody at around 45-50 sec and I made increase of 5lb of resistance every workout on Chin/dip for the full 8 workouts ( & more on the row ) whilst maintaining the TUL at around 45 sec. Leg press saw an increase of 155lb over 8 workouts again with a constant TUL of around 1min;35 sec ( however due to the variables that rep speed can bring into the equation I found it simpler to count reps and/or resistance used on the leg press for chartable gain. )

T.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

I am now some 8 weeks into my consolidated split ( after my TUL study ) , training x 1 weekly meaning each exercise now gets trained x 1 every 2 weeks/14 days ( although I do at times take an extra day here and there ).

W/O 1;
CHIN ( OR PULLDOWN )
DIP
SHRUGS ( OR DEADLIFTS )

W/O 2;
LEG PRESS
OHP
LEG RAISE ( abdominals )

Many complain that smaller muscle groups such as calves/hamstrings , bicep/tricep get insufficient stimulus without direct exercise , TBH I have suffered no regression either in resistance used ( quite the opposite in fact , my strength has increased considerably on most lifts ) and no atrophy of ANY muscle group as a result of the decreased frequency of stimulus.
Whilst I am no Mentzer ( not even a bodybuilder ) you can see my calves and hamstrings have grown still further in line with the strength gains that such infrequent training ( and subsequent full recuperation ) has brought about , and my arms have grown just a little too over the past months , all without direct stimulus ( in fact I havent trained my arms/calves or hamstrings directly for about 8/9 years )
On the downside I have had to watch my calories a little , as it is very easy to put weight on with such infrequent consolidated training ( a mistake I made in the past )

I shall be experimenting further with volume, frequency and varied levels of intensity as/when I see stagnation in my training.

Best wishes , T.

Open User Options Menu

cmg

Turpin wrote:
I am now some 8 weeks into my consolidated split ( after my TUL study ) , training x 1 weekly meaning each exercise now gets trained x 1 every 2 weeks/14 days ( although I do at times take an extra day here and there ).

W/O 1;
CHIN ( OR PULLDOWN )
DIP
SHRUGS ( OR DEADLIFTS )

W/O 2;
LEG PRESS
OHP
LEG RAISE ( abdominals )

Many complain that smaller muscle groups such as calves/hamstrings , bicep/tricep get insufficient stimulus without direct exercise , TBH I have suffered no regression either in resistance used ( quite the opposite in fact , my strength has increased considerably on most lifts ) and no atrophy of ANY muscle group as a result of the decreased frequency of stimulus.
Whilst I am no Mentzer ( not even a bodybuilder ) you can see my calves and hamstrings have grown still further in line with the strength gains that such infrequent training ( and subsequent full recuperation ) has brought about , and my arms have grown just a little too over the past months , all without direct stimulus ( in fact I havent trained my arms/calves or hamstrings directly for about 8/9 years )
On the downside I have had to watch my calories a little , as it is very easy to put weight on with such infrequent consolidated training ( a mistake I made in the past )

I shall be experimenting further with volume, frequency and varied levels of intensity as/when I see stagnation in my training.

Best wishes , T.



Contrats T -

Great job! Out of curiosity - how do you determine that your arms & calves are up a bit? Did you take measurements 8 weeks ago or just by the pictures/feel?

Thank you and Happy Memorial Day!

Ron

Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Great job, T.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

cmg wrote:
Turpin wrote:
I am now some 8 weeks into my consolidated split ( after my TUL study ) , training x 1 weekly meaning each exercise now gets trained x 1 every 2 weeks/14 days ( although I do at times take an extra day here and there ).

W/O 1;
CHIN ( OR PULLDOWN )
DIP
SHRUGS ( OR DEADLIFTS )

W/O 2;
LEG PRESS
OHP
LEG RAISE ( abdominals )

Many complain that smaller muscle groups such as calves/hamstrings , bicep/tricep get insufficient stimulus without direct exercise , TBH I have suffered no regression either in resistance used ( quite the opposite in fact , my strength has increased considerably on most lifts ) and no atrophy of ANY muscle group as a result of the decreased frequency of stimulus.
Whilst I am no Mentzer ( not even a bodybuilder ) you can see my calves and hamstrings have grown still further in line with the strength gains that such infrequent training ( and subsequent full recuperation ) has brought about , and my arms have grown just a little too over the past months , all without direct stimulus ( in fact I havent trained my arms/calves or hamstrings directly for about 8/9 years )
On the downside I have had to watch my calories a little , as it is very easy to put weight on with such infrequent consolidated training ( a mistake I made in the past )

I shall be experimenting further with volume, frequency and varied levels of intensity as/when I see stagnation in my training.

Best wishes , T.



Contrats T -

Great job! Out of curiosity - how do you determine that your arms & calves are up a bit? Did you take measurements 8 weeks ago or just by the pictures/feel?

Thank you and Happy Memorial Day!

Ron



Hi Ron , By Measurement.

I never used to measure , however over the past year Ive been doing so on a monthly basis .

T.

Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Great job T! Very cool, great to see pics of true progress from this type of training. So next you go back to a more standard type workout with normal reps?

Bigfella- Hey are you Glynn?
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Nwlifter wrote:
Great job T! Very cool, great to see pics of true progress from this type of training. So next you go back to a more standard type workout with normal reps?

Bigfella- Hey are you Glynn?


Thankyou Ron , Next ? .... Once I witness a build up of systemic fatigue thru using increasing intensity over some weeks , I revert to normal rep protocol which allows my system a little respite/recovery before another push over some 6-8 weeks again.
At present I/we ( my 20yr old son and I ) have been employing quite a bit of rest pause in our training seeing increases on a workout to workout basis when applied. Once stagnation ensues , then normal rep protocol will be employed .

Best wishes , T.

Open User Options Menu

RX Exercise

North Carolina, USA

Great Job T!
Open User Options Menu

thebiggfella

Nwlifter wrote:

Bigfella- Hey are you Glynn?


Yes, that's me.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Craig Murway wrote:
Great Job T!


Thankyou CM ` , I`ll look to posting a video of the consolidated/ `rest pause` training Ive been doing in the coming weeks, ( just to show MY implementation of such )

Best wishes , T.

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Arm comparison pics from March - To date ( june )

I have been concentrating my efforts on rest pause dips & pulldowns ( or chins ) using only 4 single reps ( 10 sec rest between ) but with increasingly heavy weight over the past weeks. ( no direct arm work , ... havent done so for around 8 yrs or more )
The heavier weight seems to have been of benefit on my triceps in paticular , with my arm circumference up slightly as a result. My triceps always lagged behind my biceps somewhat ( both in terms of strength on pressing compared to pulling and in size/appearance ) so I am quite pleased that something seems to have given them a kickstart , however slight the discernable difference.
I knew that direct work was not the solution as they tire easily even on indirect work ( OHP & dips ).

NB; I hope this thread does not come across as narcissistic ( I am anything but ) , however if anyone can take anything from any discernable results ( or lack of ) from my style of abbreviated training ( good/bad ) then it has served `some` purpose.

Best wishes , T.
Open User Options Menu

sgb2112

This thread has put the HIT/Consolidation routine haters on suicide watch.

You should be shrinking, getting fatter & barely make it up a flight of stairs!
Open User Options Menu

MDieguez

Turpin
Keep posting. We should all be able to appreciate your efforts and improvements on a handful of basic exercises. You've also been able to tweak your routines very successfully ( almost cycling the stress) to allow further progress. You can go pretty far with chins, dips, leg press and deadlifts along with a clean diet. The frequency is up to the individual to figure out. Nice job.
Mike
Open User Options Menu

SteveHIT

Turpin wrote:
Arm comparison pics from March - To date ( june )

I have been concentrating my efforts on rest pause dips & pulldowns ( or chins ) using only 4 single reps ( 10 sec rest between ) but with increasingly heavy weight over the past weeks. ( no direct arm work , ... havent done so for around 8 yrs or more )
The heavier weight seems to have been of benefit on my triceps in paticular , with my arm circumference up slightly as a result. My triceps always lagged behind my biceps somewhat ( both in terms of strength on pressing compared to pulling and in size/appearance ) so I am quite pleased that something seems to have given them a kickstart , however slight the discernable difference.
I knew that direct work was not the solution as they tire easily even on indirect work ( OHP & dips ).

NB; I hope this thread does not come across as narcissistic ( I am anything but ) , however if anyone can take anything from any discernable results ( or lack of ) from my style of abbreviated training ( good/bad ) then it has served `some` purpose.

Best wishes , T.


Well done mate, Hows the back with the deadlifts?
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

I hope this thread does not come across as narcissistic ( I am anything but ) , however if anyone can take anything from any discernable results ( or lack of ) from my style of abbreviated training ( good/bad ) then it has served `some` purpose.

Best wishes , T.

==Scott==
Your posts are always usefull! Keep the pictures and video's coming!!I wish there were more on here like you!
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

stevehit wrote:
Turpin wrote:
Arm comparison pics from March - To date ( june )

I have been concentrating my efforts on rest pause dips & pulldowns ( or chins ) using only 4 single reps ( 10 sec rest between ) but with increasingly heavy weight over the past weeks. ( no direct arm work , ... havent done so for around 8 yrs or more )
The heavier weight seems to have been of benefit on my triceps in paticular , with my arm circumference up slightly as a result. My triceps always lagged behind my biceps somewhat ( both in terms of strength on pressing compared to pulling and in size/appearance ) so I am quite pleased that something seems to have given them a kickstart , however slight the discernable difference.
I knew that direct work was not the solution as they tire easily even on indirect work ( OHP & dips ).

NB; I hope this thread does not come across as narcissistic ( I am anything but ) , however if anyone can take anything from any discernable results ( or lack of ) from my style of abbreviated training ( good/bad ) then it has served `some` purpose.

Best wishes , T.

Well done mate, Hows the back with the deadlifts?


The back has been fine Steve ( Im being careful ), I only deadlift once monthly and NTF at present , and thus far its been fine. I felt my way up to 405lb x 5 reps ( 2 easy sets NTF , no belt ) last time out and hope to be back around 500/550 x 3-5 before the years end ( injury permitting )

Cheers T.


Open User Options Menu

Mark S

Good stuff T.

Mark
Open User Options Menu

Hitit

All I can say is.....WOW! Sh!! works!
Open User Options Menu

hddc

Turpin,

Your posts aren't narcissistic. You say that the circumference is up slightly, but your arm looks much fuller, especially the long head of the triceps.

Your findings are similar to my experiences with consolidation training. You don't need isolation movements, but the intensity has to be very high. I pick a weight that allows about 3-4 reps to failure and then follow that up with about 3 rest pause reps.

You are doing more pure rest pause like Mike Mentzer recommended. I am doing a few reps first followed by rest pause. I burn out on pure rest pause after a couple months, but have continued to get stronger from workout to workout for the last several months I've been doing it. I have found that rest pause is the most productive way for me to train. Have you found the same?
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Starr
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy