MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Trentine
First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Nwlifter

Hey that's awesome gains there. Do you see any strength increases as you've grown with the higher volume (as in increasing the loads even a bit over time)?

Back in the late 80's I used to use 3 exercises, 4 sets so 12 sets per muscle, 2x per week and did well, also later, 8-12 sets per muscle 1x per week per muscle on a 3 way split worked well.



PTDaniel wrote:
I've ramped my volume up to 15 sets per bodypart. I'm training each muscle group 2 to 3 times per week, use mostly a rhythmic repetition cadence and outroad plenty. As my volume and frequency increase, I'm still making gains. Last weight in I was 197 pounds at 9.9% body fat per Inbody 270 scale.

I used to train once every 10 days to 3 weeks to failure or beyond on a single set and found the approach inferior to my current approach. I was lifting (and lowering and holding) impressive weights, but the muscle development increase wasn't long lasting. The highest body weight I hit was around 185 pounds.

How can you tell your muscle development increases when you're packing on fat and just using strength increases as a proxy for muscle growth? At my current body fat I can see cosmetic changes in muscle development by sight. I then use body comp analysis to quantify lean body mass increases.


Open User Options Menu

sirloin

If JT is natural...am the pope! The unnatural full blown shoulders and pimples are a big give away.
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

DSears wrote:
Dr. McGuff is one of the few people I'm aware of that has stuck with SS for several years. He has built an impressive physique and he has a lot of irons in the fire between his gym, his medical practice and his writing. One thing about his training is that he does include some variety in what he does. He mixes up his movements and has experimented with J-Reps.


PTDaniel wrote:
Honestly McGuff doesn't look like he even works out to me. He just looks like an average guy who "watches what he eats."


Ditto that thought. He did try "some variety" in 2013 or 2014, I believe, but has since gone back to his SOS --- exact same exercises in his two different workouts.
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
I've switched back to a more intense, heavier, briefer type of training for now. I pretty much went stale on all forms of CFT (even with lots of variation of such mixed including zones, etc.). So far looking better again. I do think it comes down to your body getting used to things and I also think I was allowing the resistance to get a little too light.


Did the same about 6 weeks ago. Interesting, that after my first all-HIT workout in a long time, I experienced an awesome pump, similar to what happened when I first tried the cluster/AFT training 2-3 years back.

The old becomes new again, at least for a while.

This time, I have more knowledge that I can 'up' Volume a skosh (sp?) if I lay back just slightly. So some 50% sets, Strip sets, 10-20% drops have been used to good effect lately. Two exercises for most bodyparts.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

simon-hecubus wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
I've switched back to a more intense, heavier, briefer type of training for now. I pretty much went stale on all forms of CFT (even with lots of variation of such mixed including zones, etc.). So far looking better again. I do think it comes down to your body getting used to things and I also think I was allowing the resistance to get a little too light.

Did the same about 6 weeks ago. Interesting, that after my first all-HIT workout in a long time, I experienced an awesome pump, similar to what happened when I first tried the cluster/AFT training 2-3 years back.

The old becomes new again, at least for a while.

This time, I have more knowledge that I can 'up' Volume a skoach (sp?) if I lay back just slightly. So some 50% sets, Strip sets, 10-20% drops have been in use to good effect lately.


I've been using 1-3 exercises per muscle (depends on the workout and for one set each) each occasionally added a second set with short rest over a 3 way split. 8-15 reps per set. I go to 'failure', but stop as soon as form breaks even slightly. In my younger years, I would keep pushing, keep grinding to do anything to get the last rep even breaking form slightly...I think that 'outroading' took a toll on my recovery too. I systematically feel better this way as well.

Still, I have no doubts I will eventually return to a CFT approach again at some point.
Open User Options Menu

PTDaniel

Nwlifter wrote:
Hey that's awesome gains there. Do you see any strength increases as you've grown with the higher volume (as in increasing the loads even a bit over time)?

Back in the late 80's I used to use 3 exercises, 4 sets so 12 sets per muscle, 2x per week and did well, also later, 8-12 sets per muscle 1x per week per muscle on a 3 way split worked well.



PTDaniel wrote:
I've ramped my volume up to 15 sets per bodypart. I'm training each muscle group 2 to 3 times per week, use mostly a rhythmic repetition cadence and outroad plenty. As my volume and frequency increase, I'm still making gains. Last weight in I was 197 pounds at 9.9% body fat per Inbody 270 scale.

I used to train once every 10 days to 3 weeks to failure or beyond on a single set and found the approach inferior to my current approach. I was lifting (and lowering and holding) impressive weights, but the muscle development increase wasn't long lasting. The highest body weight I hit was around 185 pounds.

How can you tell your muscle development increases when you're packing on fat and just using strength increases as a proxy for muscle growth? At my current body fat I can see cosmetic changes in muscle development by sight. I then use body comp analysis to quantify lean body mass increases.



I'm noticing strength increases. What I notice the most though is an increased ability to recover between sets. I had to build up to this volume over a few months.

I'm probably going to back off for a week. I'm starting to feel general tiredness and my pumps are less intense so I'm probably starting to overtrain. I may need to bump up my calories because I've lost some body fat during my volume ramp up..


Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Hey cool, that sounds like a perfect setup then, enough to grow, then a break later...

PTDaniel wrote:
Nwlifter wrote:
Hey that's awesome gains there. Do you see any strength increases as you've grown with the higher volume (as in increasing the loads even a bit over time)?

Back in the late 80's I used to use 3 exercises, 4 sets so 12 sets per muscle, 2x per week and did well, also later, 8-12 sets per muscle 1x per week per muscle on a 3 way split worked well.



PTDaniel wrote:
I've ramped my volume up to 15 sets per bodypart. I'm training each muscle group 2 to 3 times per week, use mostly a rhythmic repetition cadence and outroad plenty. As my volume and frequency increase, I'm still making gains. Last weight in I was 197 pounds at 9.9% body fat per Inbody 270 scale.

I used to train once every 10 days to 3 weeks to failure or beyond on a single set and found the approach inferior to my current approach. I was lifting (and lowering and holding) impressive weights, but the muscle development increase wasn't long lasting. The highest body weight I hit was around 185 pounds.

How can you tell your muscle development increases when you're packing on fat and just using strength increases as a proxy for muscle growth? At my current body fat I can see cosmetic changes in muscle development by sight. I then use body comp analysis to quantify lean body mass increases.



I'm noticing strength increases. What I notice the most though is an increased ability to recover between sets. I had to build up to this volume over a few months.

I'm probably going to back off for a week. I'm starting to feel general tiredness and my pumps are less intense so I'm probably starting to overtrain. I may need to bump up my calories because I've lost some body fat during my volume ramp up..




Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

PTDaniel wrote:

Honestly McGuff doesn't look like he even works out to me. He just looks like an average guy who "watches what he eats."


True. To be fair, I'm sure his job is stressful, and his bb'ing genetics are poor to pitiful.

However, in the past Trentine has used McGuff in RenEX machine demonstrations.

I've covered previously Trentine's and McGuff's assertion of the global metabolic effect on the body to be shortsighted and to not account for the contribution of aerobic energy production by way of the electron transport chain. This assertion was loosely based on Martin Gibala's studies on interval training.

Dr. Gibala specializes in interval training, not Super Slow training. He has a new book out, and readily admits to not knowing it all about endurance training. He is interested and promotes interval training. He seems to promote time efficiency of exercise to a lesser degree. He does NOT discredit the role of aerobic conditioning. It is not what he is interested in. Unlike Trentine and McGuff, Gibala does not discredit people who include aerobic conditioning.

McGuff and Trentine, and other anti-aerobic zealots, would do well to study Gibala, and review the Kreb's cyle.
Open User Options Menu

Grant D.

New "HIT" 2009+ will allow progress. In the case of Max Pyramid it is so simple it is quite attainable in two to three sessions. A Max Pyramid will quickly take anyone to the next level. It locks in a focused load, doesn't allow cheating, protects your joints and by extension your system, allows injury free recovery (aka growth), and assures progressive loading in the next session. Without outroading the only place for that load to go is into muscles and size and strength and results!

Similar effects are attainable from 303030, 6060 (aka DoneInOne) Omega and limited Max Contraction. Of course, one must be astute enough to back off on volume and increase recovery time to allow growth to occur. Recall I spend less than 300 seconds under load every two weeks (or so). That' an average of only 20 segundos per day!

In my opinion, McGuff has not reduced session volume and moves too fast for the loads he is capable of using. The result stagnation.

Cheers to progress 2017. Private message and I'll show you a simple Max Pyramid sample ...
Open User Options Menu

Dan_The_man

Joke post. Should be deleted. Posts like this make the discussion forum dead.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Must say, ive had success using static protocols, currently experimenting again with rest pause statics, only this time longer tut. Ive been employing a load that barely allows my to hold it for 30 seconds, I then take a 15 second rest pause, then hold again until I no longer can, I then take a furthur 15 secondary rest pause and have at it one more time. Aiming for a total tut of 45-60 seconds. So far so good.

Open User Options Menu

Average Al

Dan_The_man wrote:
Joke post. Should be deleted. Posts like this make the discussion forum dead.


Grant D. has been offering this kind of advice for years. It is pretty much the same shtick over and over, ad nauseam. He used to be a regular on the BBS site. Now that the BBS site is gone for good, I guess he has decided to make a return appearance here.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Grant D. wrote:
New "HIT" 2009+ will allow progress. In the case of Max Pyramid it is so simple it is quite attainable in two to three sessions. A Max Pyramid will quickly take anyone to the next level. It locks in a focused load, doesn't allow cheating, protects your joints and by extension your system, allows injury free recovery (aka growth), and assures progressive loading in the next session. Without outroading the only place for that load to go is into muscles and size and strength and results!

Similar effects are attainable from 303030, 6060 (aka DoneInOne) Omega and limited Max Contraction. Of course, one must be astute enough to back off on volume and increase recovery time to allow growth to occur. Recall I spend less than 300 seconds under load every two weeks (or so). That' an average of only 20 segundos per day!

In my opinion, McGuff has not reduced session volume and moves too fast for the loads he is capable of using. The result stagnation.

Cheers to progress 2017. Private message and I'll show you a simple Max Pyramid sample ...


---Scott---
Grant, since a whole workout may only take 300 seconds perhaps you could easily post half a workout of yours to show us how it's done. !!
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

---Scott---
Something interesting happen the other day. Recently I have been trying to work my abs with my Nautilus clam machine , crunches etc, and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get them to feel worked well or sore. Then the other day I was welding something and needed to put a lot of effort to bend the pipe into position quite a few times by pulling down on it. Unexpectedly my abs and nothing else were sore as heck the next day.
Open User Options Menu

Frank Scott

Doug McGuff is a fifty year old family man who works shifts in an emergency hospital. he probably isn't interested in looking 'as though he lifts' or like Branch Warren, (who is?) but just to keep in shape. Which he appears to have done using superslow. Yet there are credible reports to the effect that SS is ineffective or worse.
McGuff's adjutant tells of octogenarians who train one set,one day a week, who have not lost any strength over a decade which is interesting unless ten years ago they were only benching two pounds.
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

The widely held SuperSlow theory that more cross-bridges are formed during 10 second reps has been debunked. That was most likely a deliberate lie. Muscle fiber contracts in milliseconds.....much faster than any rep speed.....HELLO!

Certainly SS rep speed does not hinder muscle fiber contraction ability....but enhance.....that's a long stretch.

Secondly, the nervous system controls the muscles, and the deliberate slowing of muscular contraction speeds would likely decrease motor unit recruitment. Motor unit recruitment is highly desirable. SS gets the job done through sequential recruitment, but this requires the fast twitch fibers to be recruited secondary to slow twitch fibers, and during a period of decreased alactic ability. "Ever try to sprint when fatigued?"

On the other hand, isometrics increase motor unit recruitment, are generally safer and protective of join function. Due to lack of movement, the mind can more closely supervise muscle function. Mini pulse reps work well also. If anyone flexes a muscle, such as a double bicep pose, it is essentially an isometric hold....coincidence? Hardly! Lots of advantages with isometrics, especially for those disabled by a stroke.

Negatives can cause joint problems, ergonomics seem difficult at best, and recruit less motor units.

Almost all competitive bb's use a shortened rep range...."pulse reps" and these work well. Try them!
Open User Options Menu

Grant D.

Ents,

Your experience is because you were able to apply a focused load direct to the muscles with ZERO outroading. All those stom(ache) exercises you did accomplished nothing due to severe off-roading, off-loading, squiggling, ratcheting, shifting ... aka no isolation. You should learn something from this.

In the case of most if not all dynamic exercises. One will develop a skill to move the weight easier/quicker than progressive load application. In other word ... one will outroad.
Open User Options Menu

PTDaniel

Grant D. wrote:
Ents,

Your experience is because you were able to apply a focused load direct to the muscles with ZERO outroading. All those stom(ache) exercises you did accomplished nothing due to severe off-roading, off-loading, squiggling, ratcheting, shifting ... aka no isolation. You should learn something from this.

In the case of most if not all dynamic exercises. One will develop a skill to move the weight easier/quicker than progressive load application. In other word ... one will outroad.


He bent the pipe while grabbing it with his hands, not while jamming it between his sternum and pelvis. How would there be isolation and no outroading with respect to the abdominal muscles if he pulled the pipe with his hands?

Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Grant D. wrote:
Ents,

Your experience is because you were able to apply a focused load direct to the muscles with ZERO outroading. All those stom(ache) exercises you did accomplished nothing due to severe off-roading, off-loading, squiggling, ratcheting, shifting ... aka no isolation. You should learn something from this.

In the case of most if not all dynamic exercises. One will develop a skill to move the weight easier/quicker than progressive load application. In other word ... one will outroad.


--Scott--
But I was pulling the pipe with my hands so there was ample opportunity for off roading. My Nautilus ab clam is pretty focused on the abs yet trying as hard as I could I could not get the abs sore.I think the result of sore abs from the pipe pulling was because I was unconsciously pulling with much more intensity than I suspected I had and somehow the effort was directed right at the abs.Nothing else felt sore at all.
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

most of the time, we get DOMS, not only from more work, but if we apply a different 'length-tension' relationship, so it could be a combo of those two. More total work and the tension might have been higher at a different muscle length than the ab machine was creating.

entsminger wrote:
Grant D. wrote:
Ents,

Your experience is because you were able to apply a focused load direct to the muscles with ZERO outroading. All those stom(ache) exercises you did accomplished nothing due to severe off-roading, off-loading, squiggling, ratcheting, shifting ... aka no isolation. You should learn something from this.

In the case of most if not all dynamic exercises. One will develop a skill to move the weight easier/quicker than progressive load application. In other word ... one will outroad.

--Scott--
But I was pulling the pipe with my hands so there was ample opportunity for off roading. My Nautilus ab clam is pretty focused on the abs yet trying as hard as I could I could not get the abs sore.I think the result of sore abs from the pipe pulling was because I was unconsciously pulling with much more intensity than I suspected I had and somehow the effort was directed right at the abs.Nothing else felt sore at all.


Open User Options Menu

Frank Scott

Doug McGuff's blog is back. Trace it from his 'ultimate exercise' site.
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

Frank Scott wrote:
Doug McGuff's blog is back. Trace it from his 'ultimate exercise' site.


Tried it just now and it takes me to a page that says the account is suspended. Same thing happens if I try to load 'www.drmcguff.com'

On the other hand, 'www.bodybyscience.net' now goes to a page saying the website is almost here.

I'm guessing he is in the middle of setting up a site with a new host?
Open User Options Menu

1958

Texas, USA

Frank Scott wrote:
Doug McGuff is a fifty year old family man who works shifts in an emergency hospital. he probably isn't interested in looking 'as though he lifts' or like Branch Warren, (who is?) but just to keep in shape. Which he appears to have done using superslow. Yet there are credible reports to the effect that SS is ineffective or worse.
McGuff's adjutant tells of octogenarians who train one set,one day a week, who have not lost any strength over a decade which is interesting unless ten years ago they were only benching two pounds.

Actually,he's 55 years old.At this age 5 years makes a huge difference.He looks good.
Open User Options Menu

Frank Scott

Agreed. Good arms
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Frank Scott wrote:
Doug McGuff's blog is back. Trace it from his 'ultimate exercise' site.


Site says it has been suspended?

Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy