MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Superslow and Walking
1 | 2 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

elecjet

New York, USA

I was reading Dr Darden's book 32 days to a 32 inch waist. I was wondering if any actually does superslow anymore ( a 5/10 cadence). I don't think im too fond of this but was wondering if anyone had any success with this?. Also I was wondering if people who have done the 1500 calorie diets do the walk after an evening meal. If so is it just a basic strol or you get the heart going a certain amount. I never really knew what he meant if its just a stroll then hell no problem there.
Open User Options Menu

Ryan Sergent

Indiana, USA

elecjet
I do superslow often but with a 10/10 cadence. I do it for a month and then go to a 4/4 alternating back and forth.
I seem to get stronger with 10/10 but bigger with 4/4 presumably due to the extra negatives.

Walking? I did that with my wife for months to no avail. I'll have to read the Doc's book to see how he justifies this.

Ryan
Open User Options Menu

elecjet

New York, USA

Do you think it helped with fat loss?
Open User Options Menu

sonny153

I was very pleased with my superslow results (I used a 10/10 cadence, 3 - 5 reps)I discontinued it out of boredom after a year..a poor reason I agree, but I'm still making gains so I guess I can forgive myself :)
Open User Options Menu

Ryan Sergent

Indiana, USA

elecjet wrote:
Do you think it helped with fat loss?


Elecjet, I'm not sure if you meen fat loss from my walking days or from superslow.

Walking for me or my wife will never again be used to cut weight. walking to me is just transportation/recreation.

I think my combo of 10/10 and 4/4 help build muscle thereby reducing fat. Elecjet, I gotta tell you the fastest way I cut up is by cutting calories. If people tell you different visit Ethiopia and witness the extreme.

Ryan

Open User Options Menu

Sesame

Whether to use Super Slow or not depends on your training equipment, i believe anyway. For instance, to overcome a BARBELL/DUMBELL sticking point and still use an effective weight, I think a 2/4 cadence accomplishes this better.

however, a much slower cadence can be used more productively if you're using a well-designed machine that just happens to fit your strength curve and anthropmetrics. In this case SLOW DOWN to a 5/10 or a 10/10 as all the potential sticking points have been removed for you. You can't beat a great machine; makes no sense to throw the weight around on it!
:)

Open User Options Menu

bill1

California, USA

I think that the walking after the evening meal was suggested as a means to keep your resting metabolic rate up , after that last meal. I don't think it was ever intended as a means to burn more calories as a direct result.

If you use a 5/10 cadence with any machine that is not low friction , you are significantly unloading the muscle on the negative. I have personally never used a 5/10 cadence for any exercise, but I have used a 30/30 cadence for 2 reps utilizing Hammer plate loaders. A 30/30 cadence for 2 reps with a low friction machine has to be experienced to be believed.

I currently use a 4/4 for most of my exercises. I will shortly switch to modified NA routine and will start with a 4/10 .

Bill
Open User Options Menu

elecjet

New York, USA

true ok that sounds good. yeah i usually go for a good wlak to clear the head and simply because i get bored. My buddies wortk when i don't so i just sit around but that gives me something to do on a nice day. Thanx again.
Open User Options Menu

SanSooMan

Superslow is getting bigger by the day. And now that we have joined forces with the Zone diet we have the potential to be huge. Is SS as effective as pure negative or negative-accentuated? Maybe not, but it is a hell of a lot safer and more practical to preform. So, for the average folk that makes it more effective. Inroad or micro-trauma, which is more important, we just don't know. Chris.
Open User Options Menu

elecjet

New York, USA

bill1 wrote:
I think that the walking after the evening meal was suggested as a means to keep your resting metabolic rate up , after that last meal. I don't think it was ever intended as a means to burn more calories as a direct result.

Thats what i thought really. Because hell your going to get your heart going better and burn some more calories by at least moving. It also makes sense because once youe at your metabolism goes up a little to burn it then you actaully move as well to get and even greater effect. Well i'll keep the calories lower and that should most liekly do the trick.
Open User Options Menu

amg455

elecjet wrote:
bill1 wrote:
I think that the walking after the evening meal was suggested as a means to keep your resting metabolic rate up , after that last meal. I don't think it was ever intended as a means to burn more calories as a direct result.

Thats what i thought really. Because hell your going to get your heart going better and burn some more calories by at least moving. It also makes sense because once youe at your metabolism goes up a little to burn it then you actaully move as well to get and even greater effect. Well i'll keep the calories lower and that should most liekly do the trick.


No, walking won't keep your metabolic rate elevated after the evening meal. How much could a liesurely stroll around the block do for your metabolic machinery? The reason Darden recommended it was to keep people from stuffing more food down their pie holes. Just like the rest of the techniques he discusses in his books for attempting to alter hunger (i.e. brushing your teeth, etc.)

Open User Options Menu

Ryan Sergent

Indiana, USA

amg455 wrote:
elecjet wrote:
bill1 wrote:
I think that the walking after the evening meal was suggested as a means to keep your resting metabolic rate up , after that last meal. I don't think it was ever intended as a means to burn more calories as a direct result.

Thats what i thought really. Because hell your going to get your heart going better and burn some more calories by at least moving. It also makes sense because once youe at your metabolism goes up a little to burn it then you actaully move as well to get and even greater effect. Well i'll keep the calories lower and that should most liekly do the trick.


No, walking won't keep your metabolic rate elevated after the evening meal. How much could a liesurely stroll around the block do for your metabolic machinery? The reason Darden recommended it was to keep people from stuffing more food down their pie holes. Just like the rest of the techniques he discusses in his books for attempting to alter hunger (i.e. brushing your teeth, etc.)

I'll buy that.

Ryan

Open User Options Menu

bill1

California, USA

Darden specifically states in two of his books that he reccomends walking after meals as a means to keep your metabloic rate up to what it was before the meal. A Flat Stomach ASAP , and in Living Longer Stronger. I personally have no means to verify his conclusions, but it is probably better to stroll after a meal than to plop down in your easy chair and take a nap.

Bill
Open User Options Menu

amg455

bill1 wrote:
Darden specifically states in two of his books that he reccomends walking after meals as a means to keep your metabloic rate up to what it was before the meal. A Flat Stomach ASAP , and in Living Longer Stronger. I personally have no means to verify his conclusions, but it is probably better to stroll after a meal than to plop down in your easy chair and take a nap.

Bill


Agreed.

Open User Options Menu

elecjet

New York, USA

cool thanx guys makes sense.
Open User Options Menu

Ciccio

bill1 wrote:
Darden specifically states in two of his books that he reccomends walking after meals as a means to keep your metabloic rate up to what it was before the meal. A Flat Stomach ASAP , and in Living Longer Stronger. I personally have no means to verify his conclusions, but it is probably better to stroll after a meal than to plop down in your easy chair and take a nap.

Bill


Exactly! I mean, it's really not a new concept (actually it's some thousand years old the least) to walk after meals to avoid all your blood beeing concentrated in the stomach area solely, thus slowing the rest of your metabloism down and making you sleepy and lazy.

Franco


Open User Options Menu

Drew Baye

Florida, USA

bill1 wrote:
Darden specifically states in two of his books that he reccomends walking after meals as a means to keep your metabloic rate up to what it was before the meal. A Flat Stomach ASAP , and in Living Longer Stronger. I personally have no means to verify his conclusions, but it is probably better to stroll after a meal than to plop down in your easy chair and take a nap.

Bill


Yep. The effect is called post-prandial thermogenesis.

Drew Baye
Open User Options Menu

NATUREBOY

elecjet wrote:
Do you think it helped with fat loss?


Fast-paced walking and/or slow jogging at 60-75% of your maximum heart rate can help you lose weight but for maximum effect it needs to be performed for at least 45 to 60 minutes for 4 to 5 days per week, and even then it only burns nominal amounts of fat. Consequently, it is not very efficient; and when coupled with HIT, it might also lower your recovery ability.

To each their own, but I am convinced that the vast majority of fat burning results come from diet alone.
Open User Options Menu

Sesame

Your weight loss results will come from a negative energy balance. Less cals IN, More lost weight. Any thermogenic effects are weak at best, so don't inconvenience yourself too greatly trying to avail yourself of these. Exercise whether weight training or running will consume some energy but it's a lot easier and effective not to stick the energy in your mouth in the first place.

ONE pizza hut bread stick = 130 cals
ONE egg mcMuffin =300 cals
ONE small hamburger =280 cals
ONE mile RUN (not jog) burns ~100 cals

(just how many MILES did you run TODAY?)

:)
Open User Options Menu

elecjet

New York, USA

Sesame wrote:
Your weight loss results will come from a negative energy balance. Less cals IN, More lost weight. Any thermogenic effects are weak at best, so don't inconvenience yourself too greatly trying to avail yourself of these. Exercise whether weight training or running will consume some energy but it's a lot easier and effective not to stick the energy in your mouth in the first place.

ONE pizza hut bread stick = 130 cals
ONE egg mcMuffin =300 cals
ONE small hamburger =280 cals
ONE mile RUN (not jog) burns ~100 cals

(just how many MILES did you run TODAY?)

:)


lol gotcha
Open User Options Menu

rtestes

Mississippi, USA

bill1 wrote:
Darden specifically states in two of his books that he reccomends walking after meals as a means to keep your metabloic rate up to what it was before the meal. A Flat Stomach ASAP , and in Living Longer Stronger. I personally have no means to verify his conclusions, Bill


He has even noted the study that reported it from a western university. The study suggested you do the walk within 15 min after evening meal.
Open User Options Menu

NATUREBOY

Sesame wrote:
Your weight loss results will come from a negative energy balance. Less cals IN, More lost weight.


Hence, I said the majority of your weight loss efforts will come from diet.

Open User Options Menu

NATUREBOY

Sesame wrote:

ONE mile RUN (not jog) burns ~100 cals


Sesame, the amount of calories you burn varies in proportion to how much you weigh. For me personally, weighing 237 pounds, I will burn 565 calories if I complete 60 mintues of fast-paced walking at 4.5 mph. Furthermore, I will burn 904 calories if I up the speed to a 12 minute per mile pace.

I am not pulling these figures out of my butt; I got them directly from a "calorie burn" calculator provided by the gym, and I have also read them with my own eyes off the treadmill.

I do admit, however, that until you exercise for at least 30 minutes, cardio really doesn't burn many calories at all. Because of the time factor involved and Dr. Darden's recommendations regarding adequate strength training recovery time, I have stopped doing cardio since I started doing HIT.
Open User Options Menu

Sesame

NATUREBOY wrote:
Sesame wrote:

ONE mile RUN (not jog) burns ~100 cals


Sesame, the amount of calories you burn varies in proportion to how much you weigh. For me personally, weighing 237 pounds, I will burn 565 calories if I complete 60 mintues of fast-paced walking at 4.5 mph. Furthermore, I will burn 904 calories if I up the speed to a 12 minute per mile pace.

I am not pulling these figures out of my butt; I got them directly from a "calorie burn" calculator provided by the gym, and I have also read them with my own eyes off the treadmill.

I do admit, however, that until you exercise for at least 30 minutes, cardio really doesn't burn many calories at all. Because of the time factor involved and Dr. Darden's recommendations regarding adequate strength training recovery time, I have stopped doing cardio since I started doing HIT.



Yes, the more you weigh more cals you will burn "moving". Also, the more of that 237 lbs is lean mass the more cals you will burn too.

12 min mile pace = 5 miles. 900+ cals is a little steep for my mind, I'd estimate it closer to 600. So 600 or 900 who cares?

Treadmills have been proven to be off by 20% on their cal burn calculations. Don't trust them.

But, nevertheless, 100 cals/mile is a good rough ball-park estimate for those of avg build weight b/w 150 and 220 lbs. The point is it's a lot easier for you to stop buying doughnuts than it is to push your 227 lb frame around a trck for an hour! Right? LOL
:)
Open User Options Menu

NATUREBOY

Sesame wrote:

The point is it's a lot easier for you to stop buying doughnuts than it is to push your 237 lb frame around a track for an hour! Right?


Yes, I agree. But if you can't shake the doughnuts (or in my case, pizza), you have to pay your penance.
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy