MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Cardio & Fat Loss w/ HIT?
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3
Author
Rating
Options

spud

I haven't. At all. I don't do cardio. I don't believe in it.
Open User Options Menu

Cherry

spud wrote:
I haven't. At all. I don't do cardio. I don't believe in it.


To answer your question, i have improved slightly over last 6 months, but i'm already conditioned from years of cardio of various sort.

Open User Options Menu

Growl

Cherry wrote:
Moving quickly through a HIT workout will provide some cardio conditioning. The problem as i see it is that many want to "catch their breath" before moving on to next set. Obviously that will limit any cardio. You're going to have to set all the sets up before you start, can you do that?

Another thing is how will you challenge your cardio system to improve further? You know what i mean, once you got your HIT routine down how will you make the cardio more demanding?

When I did a Nautilus Circuit we set 12-15 sets ups before we started. Then, each successive workout, we attempted to finish the workout sooner than the one before. In this way we challenged and subsequently improved our cardio.
Curious, how will you do it??
As you know your muscles need challenged to grow bigger, your cardio won't improve without it either.

:|


I do think that it is difficult for most people to set all the machines or weights up to move from each exercise to the other (without rest) unless they are being trained in a private clinic or with equipment at home.

For those training with no rest between sets. I do not believe that one would need to continually shorten the workouts to receive more cardio benefits or more intense cardio workouts. If they are doing about 10-12 exercises, including compound movements like squats, dips, chins and the weights keep moving up will they not receive a more intense cardio workout as well? So what if they are still taking the same amount of time to finish the workout. You can only work as hard as you can and if you went from squating 150 x 20 to
300 x 20, and the weights in all your other exercises are going up, I'll bet the extra cardio benefits will be there. You can't even compare such a non-stop Hit workout to running unless a runner sprints as fast as he can for 20 minutes or more IMO. Yes, I used to run, and Yes, I have trained in private clinics with no rest between sets and a great personal trainer (Patrick Ziebell)at Evolution Exercise and Spine Center making sure all my machines were set before I got to them. I was cautioned against making myself puke, perhaps it would not make for good buisiness :) and at the end of such workouts I had to sit in the locker room sometimes talking myself out of wretching. I miss those guys.
Jeff
Open User Options Menu

rtestes

Mississippi, USA

Let me throw in my 2 cents, Cardio burns some calories, it builds no muscles. Weight Training burns calories and it builds muscle. When you are cutting or bulking, you are wanting the nutrition intakes to be fully utilized to build or maintain muscles. The calories are reduced in a cut by diet, so your concern is to maintain muscle. In a bulk, you want your calories going to muscle. The same applies to rest and recovery.

Now that should cover 10% of your lifetime, the other 90% of the time you are maintaining. Heck that is the time you can throw in some of these fads, get a rubber ball, a treadmill, do some "core" exercises, take a aerobics or ballet class and even do cardio (not too much). It won't hurt, you are like Dr. Darden, maintaining.

When you need to get serious, it is resistance training only, no pink tights or running shorts and sweatbands. And if you have the good sense, God gave you, you will do HIT.
Open User Options Menu

elecjet

New York, USA

rtestes wrote:
Let me throw in my 2 cents, Cardio burns some calories, it builds no muscles. Weight Training burns calories and it builds muscle. When you are cutting or bulking, you are wanting the nutrition intakes to be fully utilized to build or maintain muscles. The calories are reduced in a cut by diet, so your concern is to maintain muscle. In a bulk, you want your calories going to muscle. The same applies to rest and recovery.

Now that should cover 10% of your lifetime, the other 90% of the time you are maintaining. Heck that is the time you can throw in some of these fads, get a rubber ball, a treadmill, do some "core" exercises, take a aerobics or ballet class and even do cardio (not too much). It won't hurt, you are like Dr. Darden, maintaining.

When you need to get serious, it is resistance training only, no pink tights or running shorts and sweatbands. And if you have the good sense, God gave you, you will do HIT.



very well put
Open User Options Menu

FamilyMan

Missouri, USA

Cherry wrote:
Moving quickly through a HIT workout will provide some cardio conditioning. ...You're going to have to set all the sets up before you start, can you do that?

Another thing is how will you challenge your cardio system to improve further? You know what i mean, once you got your HIT routine down how will you make the cardio more demanding?

Curious, how will you do it??
As you know your muscles need challenged to grow bigger, your cardio won't improve without it either.
:|


Being at home, I can do whatever I want. I am limited by the need to load my plates, but I think moving 45# plates fast is good work too. I am also limited by taking turns with my training partner per exercise. However, we push so hard that we can both get done in about 30 minutes.

Concerning challenging my cardio system, I am condsidering that an ambitious LIFE will do that. If HIT meets my NEEDS, I can depend on work and recreation for my additional cardio conditioning .

I like to hike. I like to do construction projects. Bucking hay with my brother on the farm is total MAN CARDIO! (Kari helps too!) I can play basketball with my boy, tennis with my wife, or run a 5K with my daughter (5K almost killed me). It is all in life, and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I'm just glad I don't have to feel like I need to sit on a bike.

Open User Options Menu

Cherry

FamilyMan wrote:
Cherry wrote:
Moving quickly through a HIT workout will provide some cardio conditioning. ...You're going to have to set all the sets up before you start, can you do that?

Another thing is how will you challenge your cardio system to improve further? You know what i mean, once you got your HIT routine down how will you make the cardio more demanding?

Curious, how will you do it??
As you know your muscles need challenged to grow bigger, your cardio won't improve without it either.
:|

Being at home, I can do whatever I want. I am limited by the need to load my plates, but I think moving 45# plates fast is good work too. I am also limited by taking turns with my training partner per exercise. However, we push so hard that we can both get done in about 30 minutes.

Concerning challenging my cardio system, I am condsidering that an ambitious LIFE will do that. If HIT meets my NEEDS, I can depend on work and recreation for my additional cardio conditioning .

I like to hike. I like to do construction projects. Bucking hay with my brother on the farm is total MAN CARDIO! (Kari helps too!) I can play basketball with my boy, tennis with my wife, or run a 5K with my daughter (5K almost killed me). It is all in life, and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I'm just glad I don't have to feel like I need to sit on a bike.




who said a healthy lifestyle has to be all fun? it's about making the right choices then 'exercising' the discipline to stick to it ;) i don't always enjoy the cardio and occasionally the HIT workout is no fun either, but i do them anyway because they're good for me. it's not all fun and games.
Open User Options Menu

NewYorker

New York, USA


Being at home, I can do whatever I want. I am limited by the need to load my plates, but I think moving 45# plates fast is good work too. I am also limited by taking turns with my training partner per exercise. However, we push so hard that we can both get done in about 30 minutes.


You'd probably get a better cardio workout if your training partner did his entire workout and then you did yours. Or you can take turns working out first.

Open User Options Menu

elecjet

New York, USA

Cherry wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:
Cherry wrote:
Moving quickly through a HIT workout will provide some cardio conditioning. ...You're going to have to set all the sets up before you start, can you do that?

Another thing is how will you challenge your cardio system to improve further? You know what i mean, once you got your HIT routine down how will you make the cardio more demanding?

Curious, how will you do it??
As you know your muscles need challenged to grow bigger, your cardio won't improve without it either.
:|

Being at home, I can do whatever I want. I am limited by the need to load my plates, but I think moving 45# plates fast is good work too. I am also limited by taking turns with my training partner per exercise. However, we push so hard that we can both get done in about 30 minutes.

Concerning challenging my cardio system, I am condsidering that an ambitious LIFE will do that. If HIT meets my NEEDS, I can depend on work and recreation for my additional cardio conditioning .

I like to hike. I like to do construction projects. Bucking hay with my brother on the farm is total MAN CARDIO! (Kari helps too!) I can play basketball with my boy, tennis with my wife, or run a 5K with my daughter (5K almost killed me). It is all in life, and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I'm just glad I don't have to feel like I need to sit on a bike.




who said a healthy lifestyle has to be all fun? it's about making the right choices then 'exercising' the discipline to stick to it ;) i don't always enjoy the cardio and occasionally the HIT workout is no fun either, but i do them anyway because they're good for me. it's not all fun and games.



My H.I.T. workouts are never fun but i will admit i feel better after doing them. But cardio i do it get done then i wonder why the hell i just did it. Unless i did it and then not eat for a while after i consider it pointless to do it and then eat.
Open User Options Menu

spud

NewYorker wrote:
You'd probably get a better cardio workout if your training partner did his entire workout and then you did yours. Or you can take turns working out first.


Definitely agree with that.
Open User Options Menu

sonnypatel

Hi All,

Just to clear up a little confusion. Reading through this thread one assume that cardio is a waste of time and that correcting ones diet is and training the HIT way is the way to go.

Mike Mentzer followed the HIT training in his version of HEAVY DUTY training. I was just reading his heavy duty nutrition and in there he states that for the 1979 Olympia he did cardio (he states he cycled 40 miles in the morning and ran 5 miles in the evening every day).

This all conflicting advice? Like with everything in bodybuilding nothing is consistant:-)

Did Mike Mentzer follow HIT during the 1979 Mr O? Or did he start after this? And why would he do ANY cardio at all if he was following HIT?

Thanks
Sonny
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

FamilyMan wrote:
This is my first post here. My wife and I started HIT via the Big Arms Challenge on T-Nation. We were impressed by the results of the challenge, and have decided to experiment with HIT throughout the Summer. I have read most of "The NEW HIT", but have some questions you more experienced folk may be able to answer.

* I am interested in more info on how HIT relates to fat loss & cardiovascular health. Would you include low impact bike, running, etc. along with non-specialized HIT training?
i.e., Is HIT optimal for fat loss? Does HIT provide the cardiovascular exercise necessary for a healthy heart?


==Scott==
To me the answer of how much if any cardio work to include in your HIT program depends on whether you are the type of person who watches everthing they eat very carefully and has little if any weight to lose or if you like to eat more. If you are the first type you might be fine with doing your sets fast to work both cardio and muscle. Some prefer to work out very rapidly from exercise to exercise to get the breathing up and to work the cardio vascular system and muscles as well. I find that type of program interfers to much with my main objective of gaining strength and size as sometimes I'm breathing to hard and not recovered enough each set to give a maximum strength effort.I also found that not the best way for me to lose weight. I prefer to do my HIT type workout one day and my cardio on the off weights days. Now I am switching back and forth between exercise bike and erg for about 30 minutes on off days. I peddle pretty hard and push about as hard as I can without going over the edge into exaustion.
Open User Options Menu

Rich Bonk

New York, USA

I recently started added cardio to my training plan. I like the endorphin high that cardio gives me, but my poundages are starting to suffer and my joints are really starting to ache. The added cardio is starting to lean me out a bit, but I hate pain and getting weaker - cardio (for me) is starting to become very counter-productive. Different things work for different people, I suppose.
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy