MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Hammer Curls
1 | 2 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

goya

So what do you think of this exercise?

I know from the last 2 books that Dr Darden recommends the standard bb curl because the suppination targets the biceps more.

But standard BB curls bother my wrists. This started as I reached heavier poundages (90+ pounds). Yet regular suppinated chin ups don't bother my wrists even with 40 pounds strapped around my waist.

I also find myself stronger on the hammer curl than on the regular dumbell curls with the suppinated grip which I thought was interesting. So it seems the brachio-radialis (at least in my case) has a lot of size and strength potential.

So would chin-ups + hammer curls hit the arms enough?
Open User Options Menu

waynegr

Switzerland

goya wrote:
So what do you think of this exercise?


So would chin-ups + hammer curls hit the arms enough?


Yes.

Want to say more but its to late here, will tell you again.

Wayne

Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

I love hammer curls and use them when I want to get biceps, brachs, and forearms in one exercise. To get the brachs more, bring the DBs in front of you to meet (almost) in front of your pecs. These work great in alternating fashion too.

Squeeze and release the grip as you raise and lower the DBs. Hold for a second at the top.

There's a lot to be said about supination though. I do non-hammer DB curls when I can (limited due to wrist surgery). Incline curls (great stretch), alternating DB curls (more weight), or Zottmans (a tough hybrid) are cool.

Try this: Hammer curl to the top and then try as much supination as you can muster. Squeeze. Rotate back to neutral and lower. That should assuage your lack-of-straight-bar-curls guilt.

Good Luck,
Scott
Open User Options Menu

Richy

My wrists bother me doing barbell curls, but I found a solution in luckily having a dual cable pulley in my gym where the cables are only about a foot apart, so I grab one in each hand and do curls that way, always making sure my wrists dont bend back and are are straight throughout. I do it lying down too so theres no way of cheating if you keep your elbows in the floor.

Richy
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

Just do chin ups (underhand grip), do not waste you time doing hammer curls. If you want another exercise to do try Pull ups (overhand grip), better for forearms than curls.
Open User Options Menu

Paul25

Don't listen to whatever that Wayne fella tells you as he hasn't a clue on training! As long as you Chin hard then your Biceps will certainly be worked!
Open User Options Menu

endurotom

Hammer curls are great, if they are done alternately. That way, the dumbbells can be brought across the body(with a slight lean forward). This brings the outer head of the biceps into play more. A better move would be to use Incline curls, as they have complete pre-stretch, involve the outer bicep head more, and don't necessarily have to end up completely supinated. Also, use Preacher curls to work the inner head of the Biceps.
Open User Options Menu

Paul25

endurotom wrote:
Hammer curls are great, if they are done alternately. That way, the dumbbells can be brought across the body(with a slight lean forward). This brings the outer head of the biceps into play more. A better move would be to use Incline curls, as they have complete pre-stretch, involve the outer bicep head more, and don't necessarily have to end up completely supinated. Also, use Preacher curls to work the inner head of the Biceps.


Hi there, The biceps just Suprinates the Wrist and Flexes the elbow, there are no shaping exercises that hit one part of the Bicep?

Open User Options Menu

OSAKA/J

These are great to do, and they will hit your overall biceps complex hard,
although they are really more for the
brach area than the biceps itself, although the bis's/brach/forearm area
will be hit as well.
Simon-hecubus makes a good point
about supination; as I'm fighting tendonitis in both bis and wrists, I
find it impossible to supinate without
pain, but hammers give me a new kind of
stimulation without any pain at all.
If you keep doing the chins with
weight AND the hammers, you will have
some impressive biceps.

Osaka/J
Open User Options Menu

waynegr

Switzerland

OSAKA/J wrote:
These are great to do, and they will hit your overall biceps complex hard,
although they are really more for the
brach area than the biceps itself, although the bis's/brach/forearm area
will be hit as well.
Simon-hecubus makes a good point
about supination; as I'm fighting tendonitis in both bis and wrists, I
find it impossible to supinate without
pain, but hammers give me a new kind of
stimulation without any pain at all.
If you keep doing the chins with
weight AND the hammers, you will have
some impressive biceps.

Osaka/J


It might help people with the bad wrists to use the smallest handed DMs as you can find, or get some made, or use the pulley as that has usually got a smaller diameter handle.

Wayne


Open User Options Menu

Gazz

Goya

Hammers are good especially if other types of curl are causing you pain.

A couple of other types of curl for your arsenal are Pinwheel curls & also a cracker for biceps development is Girondas body drag curls (performed strictly you'll have to swallow your pride somewhat with regard to the weight used).

Good luck
Gazz
Open User Options Menu

Drew Baye

Florida, USA

Paul25 wrote:

Hi there, The biceps just Suprinates the Wrist and Flexes the elbow, there are no shaping exercises that hit one part of the Bicep?



Paul, you are correct. While shoulder position has some effect on the relative involvement of the long and short heads of the biceps, this is slight. Provided the resistance is appropriate, both heads will be involved significantly in any exercise involving arm flexion.

The real issue is the moment arms involved and "congruence" of strength and resistance curves. It is possible to perform a barbell curl in a manner that closely approximates the two, but exercises like preacher and incline curls generally do not provide balanced resistance over the full range of motion.

As for "hammer" or neutral-grip curls, these still involve all the elbow flexors significantly if the resistance is high enough, but are usually performed to emphasize the brachioradialis.
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

You would be better off doing more chins than wasting energy on hammer curls, chin ups work the forearm muscles much more efficiently than hammer curls, or any other curl. I've never seen the point in doing exercises when there are much better options.
Open User Options Menu

waynegr

Switzerland

What were you hopeing to emphasize please ???

The functions of the biceps are a few; one is supination, or twisting the hand. On the right arm, the biceps supinate the hand in a clockwise direction; on the left.

The biceps also is to flex the elbow (the curl),

The biceps also is to raise the upper arm up and forward (and the opposite)

The biceps is also shoulder stabilizer. Specifically it aids in protecting against an anterior dislocation when the shoulder is abducted and externally rotated like a baseball pitch, this means that they also act much like a rotate Rotator cuff muscle during shoulder activities.

However for full biceps development I would do one arm DB supination curls, and you can stabilise yourself with your free arm.

Or for good biceps/forarm but also for emphasizing the Brachioradialis do the reverse curls, better still with a big handed bar.

The hammer curl is in half way house, but in my opinion its best to do curls and reverse curls.

Or the pull-ups are great all-round exercise.

Wayne


Open User Options Menu

EC

waynegr wrote:

The hammer curl is in half way house...

Wayne




Halfway house - a residence for individuals after release from institutionalization (as for mental disorder, drug addiction, or criminal activity) that is designed to facilitate their readjustment to private life...


Is hammer curl staying there with you, Wayne?
Open User Options Menu

waynegr

Switzerland

goya wrote:

So would chin-ups + hammer curls hit the arms enough?


For your queston yes.

Why do not you use EZ bar for curls, they will take the stress from the wrists and hit the total biceps, forarm and hit the Brachioradialis very well.

Or have you every tried pully curls.

Wayne


Open User Options Menu

Drew Baye

Florida, USA

Mr. Intensity wrote:
You would be better off doing more chins than wasting energy on hammer curls, chin ups work the forearm muscles much more efficiently than hammer curls, or any other curl. I've never seen the point in doing exercises when there are much better options.


Not quite, for several reasons, most having to do with range of motion and resistance curves. Hammer curls would more directly and more effectively work the brachioradialis, which makes up a good deal of the forearm mass.

While it is possible for a person to develop a good deal of overall muscularity with a few basic exercises, developing every body part to it's maximum would require more direct exercise for many muscle groups.
Open User Options Menu

Drew Baye

Florida, USA

waynegr wrote:

Or for good biceps/forarm but also for emphasizing the Brachioradialis do the reverse curls, better still with a big handed bar.


Neutral-grip, or "hammer" curls are better for brachioradialis work than reverse curls.
Open User Options Menu

Drew Baye

Florida, USA

waynegr wrote:

Why do not you use EZ bar for curls, they will take the stress from the wrists and hit the total biceps, forarm and hit the Brachioradialis very well.

Or have you every tried pully curls.

Wayne



Holy crap, I'm agreeing with Wayne about something.

If straight bar curls bother your wrist, EZ-curls, dumbbell curls or cable curls would be good alternatives.

I often have clients perform dumbbell curls as an alternative to straight bar or machine curls if they experience any wrist problems or in cases where the elbows lock up, and the problem usually ceases.
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

Drew Baye wrote:
Mr. Intensity wrote:
You would be better off doing more chins than wasting energy on hammer curls, chin ups work the forearm muscles much more efficiently than hammer curls, or any other curl. I've never seen the point in doing exercises when there are much better options.

Not quite, for several reasons, most having to do with range of motion and resistance curves. Hammer curls would more directly and more effectively work the brachioradialis, which makes up a good deal of the forearm mass.

While it is possible for a person to develop a good deal of overall muscularity with a few basic exercises, developing every body part to it's maximum would require more direct exercise for many muscle groups.


I'll stick with chin ups and pull ups, the guy who can do these exercises and eventually these with one arm will have stronger forearms, and more muscular as well.
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Mr. Intensity wrote:
I'll stick with chin ups and pull ups, the guy who can do these exercises and eventually these with one arm will have stronger forearms, and more muscular as well.


When you see that guy, say "hi" to him for me, will you?
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

I'll be that guy in a couple of months.
Open User Options Menu

Paul25

Drew Baye wrote:
Paul25 wrote:

Hi there, The biceps just Suprinates the Wrist and Flexes the elbow, there are no shaping exercises that hit one part of the Bicep?



Paul, you are correct. While shoulder position has some effect on the relative involvement of the long and short heads of the biceps, this is slight. Provided the resistance is appropriate, both heads will be involved significantly in any exercise involving arm flexion.

The real issue is the moment arms involved and "congruence" of strength and resistance curves. It is possible to perform a barbell curl in a manner that closely approximates the two, but exercises like preacher and incline curls generally do not provide balanced resistance over the full range of motion.

As for "hammer" or neutral-grip curls, these still involve all the elbow flexors significantly if the resistance is high enough, but are usually performed to emphasize the brachioradialis.


Many thanks Drew for posting as I know you are very busy at the moment and that is what we need on here common sense folk!

Open User Options Menu

goya

Any potential explanation as why I am stronger on the hammer curl than the regular db curl?

This is without prior training on the hammer curl. On first try, I was able to move more weight and do more reps than the standard db durl.

My interpretation is that the brachio-radialis is a strong arm flexor (at least in my case) and is in a more advantegeous position. it's also possible that the Brachialis can work harder and more efficiently in the parallel grip position.

So this makes me wonder if I should not focus on a exercises that has more strength potential. Note I already do chin-ups and don't see the need to do pull-ups on top of that. Although I might add a rowing motion to my routine.
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

You don't see the need of doing pull ups as well as chin ups, but you want to do a rowing type exercise, which has a shorter range of motion than the pull up and is overall less efficient and effective. Your still working the same muscles so it would be to your advantage to choose a more effective exercise. You are better off doing pull ups or more chin ups than you are doing a rowing exercise. Or if you want do all 3.
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy