MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
New Low Carb Research
Author
Rating
Options

stevecollins33

Found this on Sky News today. Since I subscribe to a low-carb philosophy I thought in the spirit of fair play it is only fair I flag up this research - despite its conclusions.
I personally disagree with the carb craving comment made, for what it's worth.

By Sky News SkyNews - 2 hours 22 minutes ago Eating a big breakfast is the key to keeping slim, according to new research.

The bigger and more carb-laden the meal the better, experts say.

The study found women who eat half of their daily calories first thing lose more weight in the long term than those who start the day with a small breakfast.

And they are also less likely to pile the pounds back on.

It is thought that eating a meal packed with protein and carbohydrates helps cut cravings for sweet or starchy foods, as well as boosting the metabolism.

Nutritionist Angela Dowden said: "A big breakfast every day might be impractical but you are more able to deal with hunger pangs later and eat less overall.

"The ideal breakfast is grilled bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomatoes.

"It must be low-fat, high-protein, grilled, not fried."

Scientist compared the 'big breakfast' diet with a strict low-carb weight-loss regime.

They studied 94 obese, inactive women and found that low carb dieters initially lost more weight.

But the 'big breatkfast' group continued to lose weight while those on the strict diet regained almost all their weight loss.

Dr Jakubowicz, from the Hospital de Clinicas in Caracas, Venezuela, who led the study, said: "A very low carboydrate deit exacerbates the craving for carboydrates and slows metabolism.

"After a short period of weight loss, there is a quick return to obesity."


Open User Options Menu

southbeach

Since when is a breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs low in fat? It's absurd they are telling you what you want to hear LOL.

How about nutrient profile does that matter. Is SAUSAGE chock full of nutrients? LOL
Open User Options Menu

veganmaster

southbeach wrote:
Since when is a breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs low in fat? It's absurd they are telling you what you want to hear LOL.

How about nutrient profile does that matter. Is SAUSAGE chock full of nutrients? LOL


What a joke. Unscientific to the core - the science is crystal clear that if you want chronic disease, eat bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast - not only will you be biologically unsatisfied from the lack of fiber, CHO, antioxidants, but you will be the proud new owner of diseased arteries/cancer/diabetes/autoimmune disease etc. Gotta quote http://www.drmcdougall.com again "people love hearing good news about their bad habits."
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

veganmaster wrote:
southbeach wrote:
Since when is a breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs low in fat? It's absurd they are telling you what you want to hear LOL.

How about nutrient profile does that matter. Is SAUSAGE chock full of nutrients? LOL

What a joke. Unscientific to the core - the science is crystal clear that if you want chronic disease, eat bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast - not only will you be biologically unsatisfied from the lack of fiber, CHO, antioxidants, but you will be the proud new owner of diseased arteries/cancer/diabetes/autoimmune disease etc. Gotta quote http://www.drmcdougall.com again "people love hearing good news about their bad habits."


you are THE man ;)
Open User Options Menu

shlevon

veganmaster wrote:
southbeach wrote:
Since when is a breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs low in fat? It's absurd they are telling you what you want to hear LOL.

How about nutrient profile does that matter. Is SAUSAGE chock full of nutrients? LOL

What a joke. Unscientific to the core - the science is crystal clear that if you want chronic disease, eat bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast - not only will you be biologically unsatisfied from the lack of fiber, CHO, antioxidants, but you will be the proud new owner of diseased arteries/cancer/diabetes/autoimmune disease etc. Gotta quote http://www.drmcdougall.com again "people love hearing good news about their bad habits."


Here's an honest question:

If the "science" is crystal clear, why would strict veganism be advocated by so few researchers in the field of nutrition?

You can't have your cake and eat it too - if you're going to rely on "science" to affirm your position, you're going to have to explain why most scientists in the field do not share your position.
Open User Options Menu

Thorwalsh

"The ideal breakfast is grilled bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomatoes.
LOL at that being high in carbs. It's prctically what they would tell you to eat on a low carb diet for breakfast.
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

shlevon wrote:
veganmaster wrote:
southbeach wrote:
Since when is a breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs low in fat? It's absurd they are telling you what you want to hear LOL.

How about nutrient profile does that matter. Is SAUSAGE chock full of nutrients? LOL

What a joke. Unscientific to the core - the science is crystal clear that if you want chronic disease, eat bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast - not only will you be biologically unsatisfied from the lack of fiber, CHO, antioxidants, but you will be the proud new owner of diseased arteries/cancer/diabetes/autoimmune disease etc. Gotta quote http://www.drmcdougall.com again "people love hearing good news about their bad habits."

Here's an honest question:

If the "science" is crystal clear, why would strict veganism be advocated by so few researchers in the field of nutrition?

You can't have your cake and eat it too - if you're going to rely on "science" to affirm your position, you're going to have to explain why most scientists in the field do not share your position.


if low carb is so great how come we see so few 'researchers' like the AHA, ADA, WHO telling us to eat lots bacon, sausage, eggs and beef?
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Control your calories and you won't get fat. Period.

Amazing how confused people are on the matter.
Open User Options Menu

veganmaster


Here's an honest question:

If the "science" is crystal clear, why would strict veganism be advocated by so few researchers in the field of nutrition?


Ever heard of the food industry? The meat/dairy/junk food propaganda is what has "educated" the public. Evolution is extremely well supported as well - but lots of people don't "believe it." People are misinformed, especially in the area of nutrition.

If Dean Ornish's studies, on both the reversal of artery disease (1988) and prostate cancer (2005) - had been the results of a yellow pill the drug industry would be selling them like hot cakes - but a healthy diet full of plant foods doesn't make profit, instead it shuts down the insanely large stream of profit coming from "modern medicine" - and artery disease is the #1 money maker - so they try to ignore the fact that the American Medical Association's own journal has published studies showing a vegan diet can reverse heart disease.

But most of all, it's because people are creatures of habit - and they resist change, even if that change can save their lives. Personally I think of it in terms of memes, a la Richard Dawkins: oversimplified but false memes are easier to remember, so they outcompete more truthful but more complex memes.

Frankly, the popular memes are often gross oversimplifications or lies, such as the "where do you get your protein/calcium" and such BS vegans automatically get asked. These concerns are not based on reality or science, they are simply popular memes that sprout up when the topic comes to plant-based diets, despite the fact that the scientific evidence robustly supports the herbivorous nature of the human primate. The fact that "educated" folks think a primate is a carnivore just shows the power of memes and propaganda.
Open User Options Menu

HSDAD

The AMA seems to think Atkins is best.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/...tract/297/9/969

Only Atkins had significant advantages for both lipids and blood sugar. Zone and Ornish were not so good. So how is veganism better than eating meat? Jain's in India (strict vegetarians / vegans) have significantly higher rates of diabetes and heart disease than Belgians (steak and "frites" washed down with beer and cigarrettes).

Also, in the field of archaeology, the evidence points to an almost exclusively raw meat diet (fish and game) for our ancestors as they lived in climes far too cold to support any sort of edible plant life on anything but a sporadic basis. The fact that you can survive a vegan diet doesn't prove it's good for you.

Personally I'm an everything in moderation kind of guy. But if you want to use "science" to make your point, make sure it says what you think it says.
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

HSDAD wrote:
The AMA seems to think Atkins is best.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/...tract/297/9/969

Only Atkins had significant advantages for both lipids and blood sugar. Zone and Ornish were not so good. So how is veganism better than eating meat? Jain's in India (strict vegetarians / vegans) have significantly higher rates of diabetes and heart disease than Belgians (steak and "frites" washed down with beer and cigarrettes).

Also, in the field of archaeology, the evidence points to an almost exclusively raw meat diet (fish and game) for our ancestors as they lived in climes far too cold to support any sort of edible plant life on anything but a sporadic basis. The fact that you can survive a vegan diet doesn't prove it's good for you.

Personally I'm an everything in moderation kind of guy. But if you want to use "science" to make your point, make sure it says what you think it says.


The AMA doesn't endorse this, just another study published in a journal.

I don't like that particular study much because of design flaws rendering suspect any valid conclusion.




Here's a better one..well designed and controlled, brand spanking new!
http://www.pnas.org/...ull/105/24/8369
go right to "table 1" and open it!
look at the outstanding results on lipids and inflammation after only THREE months on the Lifestyle diet
(Dean Ornish)!

"Lifestyle modifications included a low-fat (10% of calories from fat), whole-foods, plant-based diet, stress management 60 min per day (gentle yoga-based stretching, breathing, meditation, imagery, and progressive relaxation), moderate aerobic exercise (walking 30 min per day for 6 days per week), and a 1-h group support session per week. The diet was supplemented with soy (1 daily serving of tofu plus 58 g of a fortified soy protein powdered beverage), fish oil (3 g daily), vitamin E (100 units daily), selenium (200 mg daily), and vitamin C (2 g daily). Participants were provided with all of their food during the intervention period. A registered dietitian, exercise physiologist, clinical psychologist, nurse, and stress management instructor were available for education and counseling."

Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

"The ideal breakfast is grilled bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomatoes".

Add toast, milk and some fruit and it looks like a great way to start the day, nothing wrong with a good hearty breakfast, some of you guys sound like little girls sometimes.

Open User Options Menu

southbeach

Mr. Strong wrote:
"The ideal breakfast is grilled bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomatoes".

Add toast, milk and some fruit and it looks like a great way to start the day, nothing wrong with a good hearty breakfast, some of you guys sound like little girls sometimes.



interesting that bacon, sausage and eggs are considered a 'hearty' breakfast. obviously they are not.. i wonder where this usage started?? huh
Open User Options Menu
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy