MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
My Progress.
Author
Rating
Options

Episteme

Pennsylvania, USA

I thought I would share what my progress has been over the past 3-4 years of training mostly HIT style workouts as a lifetime drug-free lifter. I'll begin with a before photo of myself.

At the time of the photo, I could bench press 185x6, and deadlift less than 275. My bodyweight was 140 lbs. at a height of 5'7. The next post will be a recent photo and my current stats.
- Mike
Open User Options Menu

Episteme

Pennsylvania, USA

And here is what I look like today. I bench press 270x6, and deadlift 405. I weigh 175 lbs. I compete in powerlifting competitions as well, and my best bench (raw) is 300 @ 175 bw.
My upper arms went from 14 to 16.25 cold.

My goals will be to bench 315 in a meet, and eventually obtain 17 inch upper arms cold.

It seems that whenever I reach a sticking point in training, it's usually because I added to many exercises or I'm overtraining in some way. Arthur Jones stumbled upon a good diagnostic tool for stalled progress; cut back in the gym.
-Mike
Open User Options Menu

coomo

Episteme wrote:
I thought I would share what my progress has been over the past 3-4 years of training mostly HIT style workouts as a lifetime drug-free lifter. I'll begin with a before photo of myself.

At the time of the photo, I could bench press 185x6, and deadlift less than 275. My bodyweight was 140 lbs. at a height of 5'7. The next post will be a recent photo and my current stats.
- Mike

good work mike.A perfect example of no nonsense hard work.A few here could use your example of how to do it right.

Open User Options Menu

Ciccio

That 16,25" arm looks truly huge on your frame!
Good stats as well!
How are you training your competition lifts (DL,BP,Squat I assume)? Do you vary that when a meet is comming up?

Franco
Open User Options Menu

Iamlegend

Really nice work mate very impressive!
Do you mind explaining your previous training programs leading up to this development, and also diet etc.
I would really love for you to post this onto T-Nation to show them what proper training can really do.


cheers


Open User Options Menu

fantombe

Good progress Mike, well done.
Open User Options Menu

buzz34

Missouri, USA

Awesome progress. I think it's a great thing for people to post their progress from HIT style workouts. It's very motivating and proves that HIT can be used to build great physiques for lifters at every level.
Open User Options Menu

goya

Great work.

Open User Options Menu

Episteme

Pennsylvania, USA

Thank you for all of the kind and encouraging remarks.

To answer some of the questions that were raised about my training, here is my format of my workout schedule: I alternated the following two routines with the frequency of working out every other day:
A)
1. Trap-bar Squat (or Deadlift)
2. Bench Press
3. Barbell Row
4. Skull Crusher

B)
1. Overhead Press
2. Shrug
3. Barbell Curl
4. Abdominal Work

Each workout consisted of a maximum of 12-15 sets in all. Each exercise would begin with 2-3 'warm-up' sets, then 1 heavy work set carried almost to failure. Rep range will vary: 4-8 reps when I'm not training for a meet, and for a meet, I'll drop the reps to doubles and triples and increase the sets for bench and deadlift (this would be the only non-HIT style training I'll adhere to). Still the frequency stays the same. Each exercise gets worked once every 4 days, and I'm never in the gym two days in a row. Sometimes I'll skip a workout if I feel drained or sore.

This might not be true HIT in the Mentzer/Jones interpretation, but when compared to most other traditional routines, the frequency and volume of my workouts are very low, while the intensity is kept high.

Diet was also a factor. To get my bw from 140 to 175, I had to significantly increase my intake of carbs and protein, along with some fat. Milk and eggs were key, as was pasta and fruit. I like the spirit of Arthur Jones' 'diet plan' for it's simplicity and convenience: three square meals a day supplemented with 2-3 calorie/protein/carb dense 'milk-shakes' with protein powder, egg whites, milk, etc.

Lastly, from what has been posted here, my upper arm measurement seems to confirm what Jones and Darden had emphasized about measurments; a 16 inch arm, though modest compared with pro-bodybuilders, will look impressive nonetheless. I was able to achieve this without the use of AAS (never even considered it), without 'good genetics', and without becoming fanatical to the point of 'marring my social life and academic success' (to paraphrase Stuart McRobert). Put in the hard work, be consistent with diet, and BE PATIENT. Bodybuilding and Powerlifting should be sports in which we should be lifelong participants. There is no rush to any finish line; size and strength ought to be goals that compliment health and longevity.

Best,
Mike
Open User Options Menu

goya

Proof that simple stuff works.
Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland

Hi Mike,

That photo is not what you look like now, I seen this photo early lat year when you joined BB.com.
You had a great body then, and you say at your best shape you was 185 with 16.75 arms, however you got funny genetics as they are not so good in the leg area, but I will not state what this is, as my genetics give me a great chest, shoulders and lats, arms and legs just ok, but hate my calves, but at least they are bigger then yours.

See from your post at BB.com you do a few warm ups and do a normal rep speed, which is about 1/1, as in the Powerlifting you need the fastest and most powerful rep to push the weight up.

See on 03/09/08, you weight 167, now you are 175; any reason for the drop from 185 to 167, as 18 pounds is a lot to drop. You might be like me as reading some of what you wrote, I have too eat quite a lot to stay at my weight and get bigger, about 23 calories per pound of bodyweight, and at times its dammed hard to do this all the time.

Congratulations on you last meet, WNPF NJ States and Powerfest, but as you write you were a little disappointed, dont let that put you off, maybe it was because you lost so much weight this last year and a half, and found it hard to keep the strength up at a lighter bodyweight.

Nearly forgot, what did you do to get your arm up that big compeered to the rest of your body, as you go for Powerlifting thought you would not need to concentrate on them so much,.

Wayne
Open User Options Menu

Episteme

Pennsylvania, USA

Waynes wrote:
Hi Mike,

That photo is not what you look like now, I seen this photo early lat year when you joined BB.com.
You had a great body then, and you say at your best shape you was 185 with 16.75 arms, however you got funny genetics as they are not so good in the leg area, but I will not state what this is, as my genetics give me a great chest, shoulders and lats, arms and legs just ok, but hate my calves, but at least they are bigger then yours.

See from your post at BB.com you do a few warm ups and do a normal rep speed, which is about 1/1, as in the Powerlifting you need the fastest and most powerful rep to push the weight up.

See on 03/09/08, you weight 167, now you are 175; any reason for the drop from 185 to 167, as 18 pounds is a lot to drop. You might be like me as reading some of what you wrote, I have too eat quite a lot to stay at my weight and get bigger, about 23 calories per pound of bodyweight, and at times its dammed hard to do this all the time.

Congratulations on you last meet, WNPF NJ States and Powerfest, but as you write you were a little disappointed, dont let that put you off, maybe it was because you lost so much weight this last year and a half, and found it hard to keep the strength up at a lighter bodyweight.

Nearly forgot, what did you do to get your arm up that big compeered to the rest of your body, as you go for Powerlifting thought you would not need to concentrate on them so much,.

Wayne


Hi Wayne.
That photo was taken last week, and it's exactly how I look currently. I weighed exactly 175 and my arm taped at 16.25 (measured with a tape accurately made out of newsprint paper). The photo of me on BB.com is from last summer, one year ago. I am wearing the same shirt in both photos, so they might look similar. I then weighed 185, and my arms were a little bigger.

The reason why I lost some weight then gained some back over the past year was because I was too fat when I weighed 185 last summer. I 'cut' to around 162 mid-fall last year, then slowly regained some weight by putting on some lean mass.

Thanks for the congrats on the meet. For Powerlifting, I train mostly with rep schemes in the 2-4 range, but only just leading up to a meet. My CNS cannot handle the heavy loads for more than a few weeks. I haven't incorporated speed work yet.

My uppper arms got their 'start' from being a competitive gymnast for many years prior to college. I would say I have 'average' genetics in tri's and bi's, but they got a good foundation in gymnastics, and remained ahead of the rest of my physique. In this photo, taken several weeks ago, you can see that I have short muscle bellies in my triceps.
Best,
Mike
Open User Options Menu

coomo

Waynes wrote:
Hi Mike,

That photo is not what you look like now, I seen this photo early lat year when you joined BB.com.
You had a great body then, and you say at your best shape you was 185 with 16.75 arms, however you got funny genetics as they are not so good in the leg area, but I will not state what this is, as my genetics give me a great chest, shoulders and lats, arms and legs just ok, but hate my calves, but at least they are bigger then yours.

See from your post at BB.com you do a few warm ups and do a normal rep speed, which is about 1/1, as in the Powerlifting you need the fastest and most powerful rep to push the weight up.

See on 03/09/08, you weight 167, now you are 175; any reason for the drop from 185 to 167, as 18 pounds is a lot to drop. You might be like me as reading some of what you wrote, I have too eat quite a lot to stay at my weight and get bigger, about 23 calories per pound of bodyweight, and at times its dammed hard to do this all the time.

Congratulations on you last meet, WNPF NJ States and Powerfest, but as you write you were a little disappointed, dont let that put you off, maybe it was because you lost so much weight this last year and a half, and found it hard to keep the strength up at a lighter bodyweight.

Nearly forgot, what did you do to get your arm up that big compeered to the rest of your body, as you go for Powerlifting thought you would not need to concentrate on them so much,.

Wayne

youve got a fucking nerve.whether you are genuinely stupid or just practising im not sure.the guy posts here for the first time, and you have the audacity to make comments about his "funny genetics".ok wayno, lets see pics of your "great pecs delts and lats" eh? put up or shut up you halfwit.

Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland

Episteme wrote:
Waynes wrote:
Hi Mike,

That photo is not what you look like now, I seen this photo early lat year when you joined BB.com.
You had a great body then, and you say at your best shape you was 185 with 16.75 arms, however you got funny genetics as they are not so good in the leg area, but I will not state what this is, as my genetics give me a great chest, shoulders and lats, arms and legs just ok, but hate my calves, but at least they are bigger then yours.

See from your post at BB.com you do a few warm ups and do a normal rep speed, which is about 1/1, as in the Powerlifting you need the fastest and most powerful rep to push the weight up.

See on 03/09/08, you weight 167, now you are 175; any reason for the drop from 185 to 167, as 18 pounds is a lot to drop. You might be like me as reading some of what you wrote, I have too eat quite a lot to stay at my weight and get bigger, about 23 calories per pound of bodyweight, and at times its dammed hard to do this all the time.

Congratulations on you last meet, WNPF NJ States and Powerfest, but as you write you were a little disappointed, dont let that put you off, maybe it was because you lost so much weight this last year and a half, and found it hard to keep the strength up at a lighter bodyweight.

Nearly forgot, what did you do to get your arm up that big compeered to the rest of your body, as you go for Powerlifting thought you would not need to concentrate on them so much,.

Wayne


Hi Wayne.
That photo was taken last week, and it's exactly how I look currently. I weighed exactly 175 and my arm taped at 16.25 (measured with a tape accurately made out of newsprint paper). The photo of me on BB.com is from last summer, one year ago. I am wearing the same shirt in both photos, so they might look similar. I then weighed 185, and my arms were a little bigger.

The reason why I lost some weight then gained some back over the past year was because I was too fat when I weighed 185 last summer. I 'cut' to around 162 mid-fall last year, then slowly regained some weight by putting on some lean mass.

Thanks for the congrats on the meet. For Powerlifting, I train mostly with rep schemes in the 2-4 range, but only just leading up to a meet. My CNS cannot handle the heavy loads for more than a few weeks. I haven't incorporated speed work yet.

My uppper arms got their 'start' from being a competitive gymnast for many years prior to college. I would say I have 'average' genetics in tri's and bi's, but they got a good foundation in gymnastics, and remained ahead of the rest of my physique. In this photo, taken several weeks ago, you can see that I have short muscle bellies in my triceps.
Best,
Mike


Just a short one,

Big sorry about the photo, and me say it was not recent, however as you say they look very similar to the ones you took and posted last year at BB.com, it was a genuine mistake.

Wayne
Open User Options Menu
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy