MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Next 3 Weeks
1 | 2 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Raider22

Ohio, USA

I will keep you all updated on my progress for the next 3 week workout experiment. Work out:

No rest between sets
Squat 25-30 reps
Squat 8-10 resp
Squat 4-6 reps

No rest between sets
Bench 25-30
Bench 8-10
Bench 4-6

No rest between sets
Hammer iso row 25-30
Hammer iso row 8-10
Hammer iso row 4-6

The work out will be performed on Monday and Friday. Wednesday I will plan a low intensity training session. My exercise addiction. I can't bring myself to train 1-2 days a week.
Open User Options Menu

Raider22

Ohio, USA

I am the guy on the right. 45 years old, 194 pounds, 15% body fat. I am probably going to shoot for a body weight of 185. Hoping for a body fat of 11 or 12%.
Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland

Raider22 wrote:
I am the guy on the right. 45 years old, 194 pounds, 15% body fat. I am probably going to shoot for a body weight of 185. Hoping for a body fat of 11 or 12%.


Hi Raider22,

Looking good.

What arms, chest are you, and height ???

I would not diet yet.

Wayne
Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland

Raider22 wrote:
I will keep you all updated on my progress for the next 3 week workout experiment. Work out:

No rest between sets
Squat 25-30 reps
Squat 8-10 resp
Squat 4-6 reps

No rest between sets
Bench 25-30
Bench 8-10
Bench 4-6

No rest between sets
Hammer iso row 25-30
Hammer iso row 8-10
Hammer iso row 4-6

The work out will be performed on Monday and Friday. Wednesday I will plan a low intensity training session. My exercise addiction. I can't bring myself to train 1-2 days a week.


Any reason for no rest ??? As when I do those kinds of sets I rest 5 minutes, for a number of reasons, one being that you can use far more weight on second and third sets.

See you live in a warm climate.

Wayne
Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland

Raider22 wrote:
I am the guy on the right. 45 years old, 194 pounds, 15% body fat. I am probably going to shoot for a body weight of 185. Hoping for a body fat of 11 or 12%.


Oops-A-Daisy, you buddy looks good also.

Wayne


Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

It may not make much difference at your advanved state, but from your lower pec development (which is outstanding BTW!), I'd say to do either Incline Press, High-Incline (Hammer), or Overhead Press instead of flat bench.

Best Regards,
Scott
Open User Options Menu

overfiftylifter

Good luck and I am sure you will add another 1/2 inch on each arm and 2 more inches on the chest/thighs to your already excellent development.

I did a similar program last year and made some gains and liked the conditioning effect of limiting the rest time between sets.

Healthy lifting,

Overfiftylifter-you'll get quite a pump from the workout.
Open User Options Menu

Raider22

Ohio, USA

simon-hecubus wrote:
It may not make much difference at your advanved state, but from your lower pec development (which is outstanding BTW!), I'd say to do either Incline Press, High-Incline (Hammer), or Overhead Press instead of flat bench.

Best Regards,
Scott


Scott,
I do both flat benching and Hammer Iso incline. I may do the Hammer Iso incline instead of bench good advice. I also use dumbbell Fly and Hammer Iso pec deck.
Open User Options Menu

BIO-FORCE

California, USA

Raider22 wrote:
I will keep you all updated on my progress for the next 3 week workout experiment. Work out:

No rest between sets
Squat 25-30 reps
Squat 8-10 resp
Squat 4-6 reps

No rest between sets
Bench 25-30
Bench 8-10
Bench 4-6

No rest between sets
Hammer iso row 25-30
Hammer iso row 8-10
Hammer iso row 4-6

The work out will be performed on Monday and Friday. Wednesday I will plan a low intensity training session. My exercise addiction. I can't bring myself to train 1-2 days a week.


What made you decide to go "high reps" first, instead of Low and Heavy first?

Or are you using the same weight for all sets?

Is each set to failure? or NTF?

Open User Options Menu

Raider22

Ohio, USA

I have done this program before. I also used low reps first before, I prefer high reps first. I increase the weight each set. The increases are not big because of accumulated fatigue. This protocol is very joint friendly and created very good inroads. I have found that I respond better to higher rep work. I am a pump junkie and this protocol creates a tremendous pump.
Open User Options Menu

BIO-FORCE

California, USA

Raider22 wrote:
I have done this program before. I also used low reps first before, I prefer high reps first. I increase the weight each set. The increases are not big because of accumulated fatigue. This protocol is very joint friendly and created very good inroads. I have found that I respond better to higher rep work. I am a pump junkie and this protocol creates a tremendous pump.


Got it.

Thanks, and looking forward to the "after" results.
Open User Options Menu

overfiftylifter

"I am a pump junkie and this protocol creates a tremendous pump".

Raider22, I have developed the same addiction.

Overfiftylifter-is there a bodybuilding A.A.?
Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland

I was just interested, sorry I spoke.

Wayne
Open User Options Menu

Raider22

Ohio, USA

First workout Monday 4/6/09. It was very taxing. The workout took 35 minutes. I achieved a tremendous pump and today I am a little sore in a perfect way.

This is the program I settled on:

Muscle Fiber is recruited in an orderly fashion. This workout is designed to facilitate this physiological fact. First slow twitch muscle is recruited, then intermediate fiber and the finally fast twitch muscle.

Monday and Friday workout:

Pendulum leg press
set 1: 25-30 reps
set 2: 8-10 reps
set 3: 4-6 reps
Squat jumps 10 reps

Dumbbell low incline or Hammer Iso Incline
set 1: 25-30 reps
set 2: 8-10 reps
set 3: 4-6 reps
Plyometric push-ups

Hammer Iso Pulldown or Iso Row
set 1: 25-30 reps
set 2: 8-10 reps
set 3: 4-6 reps
Plyometric inverted row

Dumbbell Fly 8-10 reps
Balance board push-ups to failure
Dumbbell Rear Shoulder 8-10
Pull-up, Chin-up combo to failure
Dumbbell Triceps 8-10 to failure
Thick Bar Biceps curl 8-10 to failure

Wednesday:
No legs, heavy biceps, triceps, and forearms
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

Looks very interesting. All the best.
Open User Options Menu

BIO-FORCE

California, USA

Raider22 wrote:

This is the program I settled on:

Muscle Fiber is recruited in an orderly fashion. This workout is designed to facilitate this physiological fact. First slow twitch muscle is recruited, then intermediate fiber and the finally fast twitch muscle.



Raider22,

I would be interested in the "weights" used in these and what progress you make strength wise (if any)

While you will certainly be able to observe the "size principle" at work, you need also be aware that this training will produce relatively low force muscle tensions, since you will be using lower loads, due to the rep scheme and the fatigue accumulations.

This will (as you say) produce WILD Pumps, and occlusion due to the pump.

It will also, due to the limited tensions cause by low loads and fatigue have a tendency to "down-convert" TYPE IIx to TYPE IIa, and same all the way down.

Additionally since you will be looking at lower tension loads on the final reps, you may not get "high %" recruitment to TYPE II fibers since you will be retiring TYPE I's and if you do not rest enough to "reset" them between sets, it could restrict the TYPE II activation.

In contrast, using extremely high intensity (to Rep Max) on each of your sets, with total recovery between sets, will allow FAR heavier loads, and efforts on each rep and each set, involving TYPE II at the highest level from REP ONE, and it will be the retirement of TYPE II's that will then cause a "reduced tension/force" in the muscle and eventual failure, which will cause a higher insured involvement of TYPE II's.

But it will make the session take far longer.
Open User Options Menu

overfiftylifter

"It will also, due to the limited tensions cause by low loads and fatigue have a tendency to "down-convert" TYPE IIx to TYPE IIa,"

If the primary tissue in hypertrophy on bodybuilders has been shown to be TYPE 2A, with almost no type 2B(prior posting on tissue evaluation), wouldn't a fatigue program with moderate loads be a suitable program? If he was desiring a program more for performance of power activities like power/olympic lifting, then would not your program be more valuable?

Overfiftylifter
Open User Options Menu

BIO-FORCE

California, USA

overfiftylifter wrote:
"It will also, due to the limited tensions cause by low loads and fatigue have a tendency to "down-convert" TYPE IIx to TYPE IIa,"

If the primary tissue in hypertrophy on bodybuilders has been shown to be TYPE 2A, with almost no type 2B(prior posting on tissue evaluation), wouldn't a fatigue program with moderate loads be a suitable program? If he was desiring a program more for performance of power activities like power/olympic lifting, then would not your program be more valuable?

Overfiftylifter


o'FIVE'o,

The TYPE IIa results you are referring to are a "result" of training TYPE IIx's into becoming TYPE IIa's via reps that involve any fatigue at all.

I am sure Raider22 knows what he is doing, and also has experience with this program enough to know what has worked in the past.

My interest in the weights he uses is to see what "if any" progress he makes strength wise compared to his perception of hypertrophy from such a fatigue based program. My speculation is he uses some pretty good loads and this, his results should be quite good on the hypertrophy end, but maybe not so much a strength gain.

I am not suggesting he alter his program, but only posting what I see as the stimulus orientation. The results should speak for themselves. My other interest is the fact that the rep schematic has similarities to my ROGUE HIT rep scheme, but the rest periods and I assume the weight loads are VERY different.

I think R22 can probably train this program with very high intensity, and this should have some very interesting results.
Open User Options Menu

Raider22

Ohio, USA

Some weights from Monday:

Pendulum Leg press:
315 for 30
405 for 10
450 for 3

Dumbbell Low Incline:
60 for 30
70 for 8
80 for 2

Hammer Iso Front Pulldown
200 for 27
230 for 8
270 for 6

Bio I understand your point. If I continue to improve on my 30 rep set, I will have a tough time increasing my weights on sets 2 and 3. I think I have a little higher percent of fast twitch muscle than most people so my endurance is crap. For some odd reason I seem to respond better hypertrophy wise to high rep work. With low reps I do get strong but seem to look flat.

The next 3 weeks I will reverse the sets, doing low reps first. I just am not a fan of using limit weights at my age. My joints tend to get beat up.


Open User Options Menu

BIO-FORCE

California, USA

Raider22 wrote:
Some weights from Monday:

Pendulum Leg press:
315 for 30
405 for 10
450 for 3

Dumbbell Low Incline:
60 for 30
70 for 8
80 for 2

Hammer Iso Front Pulldown
200 for 27
230 for 8
270 for 6

Bio I understand your point. If I continue to improve on my 30 rep set, I will have a tough time increasing my weights on sets 2 and 3. I think I have a little higher percent of fast twitch muscle than most people so my endurance is crap. For some odd reason I seem to respond better hypertrophy wise to high rep work. With low reps I do get strong but seem to look flat.

The next 3 weeks I will reverse the sets, doing low reps first. I just am not a fan of using limit weights at my age. My joints tend to get beat up.




Nice weights.

Look forward to seeing how you find it works for you.

Open User Options Menu

aaronmh

Coach:
Please describe how you perform squat jumps, plyometric push-ups and inverted rows.
Thanks,
Aaron
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

I was wondering what you meant John because R22's rep scheme is similar to your Rougue HIT application. Is it simply that R22 uses less rest betweens sets?
Open User Options Menu

Raider22

Ohio, USA

aaronmh wrote:
Coach:
Please describe how you perform squat jumps, plyometric push-ups and inverted rows.
Thanks,
Aaron


The inverted row is with a release at top and catch. You do them right after your last loaded set. There is tremendous intent of explosion. fatigue prevents much explosion.

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=dvkIaarnf0g

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=LjY25jL_avs

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=YjtdydB1v80
Open User Options Menu

overfiftylifter

"The TYPE IIa results you are referring to are a "result" of training TYPE IIx's into becoming TYPE IIa's via reps that involve any fatigue at all."

This demonstrates that a typical bodybuilding routine that produces hypertrophy using moderate weight and higher volume is 2A and not 2X because the body adapts by reducing that fiber amount. If the bodybuilding routine was mostly ballistic in nature, 2X would be more prominent.

Overfiftylifter-I have used this form of modified Rogue Hit in the past and posted about it. The use of short rests between sets was useful.
Open User Options Menu

BIO-FORCE

California, USA

Natural1 wrote:
I was wondering what you meant John because R22's rep scheme is similar to your Rougue HIT application. Is it simply that R22 uses less rest betweens sets?


Yes, that high fatique, reduced recovery changes the stimulus in a significant way.



Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Ellington Darden
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy