MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Is Running Really all that Bad?
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Landau

Florida, USA

Natty wrote:
Landau wrote:
No - your "Questions" involve specious fantasy outcomes. Is anyone else here with me on this complete IDIOT? Chime in Please!

More pontification because you don't know the answer.

Landau wrote:
1. A Person that "runs" does NOT make them Healthier.

I'm not actually debating the health aspect although I disagree here. I'm talking about physical fitness/performance/efficiency.

Landau wrote:
2. Running is a Useless Affliction

In your cultist jedi opinion. Some would say lifting weights is an affliction.

Landau wrote:
3. "Adaptations" are Akin to Pony Express - so WHO cares?

Adaptations are a result of stimulus. Even your religious SSTF at snails pace results in adaptation believe it or not.

Landau wrote:
4. Running introduces a Host of Maladies - Physical, Pathological, and Mental

ANY sport exercise can.. INCLUDING HIT! NEWSFLASH!

Landau wrote:
5. There are NO benefits - Quit Dreaming

Bullshit, the benefits is that the runner gets better AT RUNNING which to some is more important than weight training. Are your interests all that matter in the world and everyone else that has different interests and goals are fools? That's rather pompous self righteous attitude typical of a HIT jedi wouldn't you say..

Landau wrote:
6. You can get away with your "take" on other fanntasy web sites, but your LACK of Viable Thought makes me think several worms have crawled in through your ears and are eating away at your brain matter

Still no answer than? You're the biggest waste of space I've ever encountered on a forum and that includes Gerry Hitman!


Problem: YOU YOU YOU YOU

1. Your Question's answer of Physical Fitness is PURE MEATHEAD - you remind me of your frustrated countryman SUMO
2. Answering Stupid Questions that show useless/vague/specious outcomes is boring
3. The Goal of Running? - You are Mentally Sick
4. You need to learn the meaning of words/concepts/phrases, otherwise what you don't know will be a rant to you - Reading is fundamental.


Open User Options Menu

The Devil

Natty wrote:
Landau wrote:
No - your "Questions" involve specious fantasy outcomes. Is anyone else here with me on this complete IDIOT? Chime in Please!

More pontification because you don't know the answer.

Landau wrote:
1. A Person that "runs" does NOT make them Healthier.

I'm not actually debating the health aspect although I disagree here. I'm talking about physical fitness/performance/efficiency.

Landau wrote:
2. Running is a Useless Affliction

In your cultist jedi opinion. Some would say lifting weights is an affliction.

Landau wrote:
3. "Adaptations" are Akin to Pony Express - so WHO cares?

Adaptations are a result of stimulus. Even your religious SSTF at snails pace results in adaptation believe it or not.

Landau wrote:
4. Running introduces a Host of Maladies - Physical, Pathological, and Mental

ANY sport exercise can.. INCLUDING HIT! NEWSFLASH!

Landau wrote:
5. There are NO benefits - Quit Dreaming

Bullshit, the benefits is that the runner gets better AT RUNNING which to some is more important than weight training. Are your interests all that matter in the world and everyone else that has different interests and goals are fools? That's rather pompous self righteous attitude typical of a HIT jedi wouldn't you say..

Landau wrote:
6. You can get away with your "take" on other fanntasy web sites, but your LACK of Viable Thought makes me think several worms have crawled in through your ears and are eating away at your brain matter

Still no answer than? You're the biggest waste of space I've ever encountered on a forum and that includes Gerry Hitman!


No Natty....I would say you are the biggest waste of time, space and oxygen. Why dont you go run into a fucking brick wall. What do you do for a living? What qualifies you to give advice on anything but gay anal sex w/ south beach....no offense to the gay community.

hugs,
lucifer.
Open User Options Menu

physcult

southbeach wrote:
physcult wrote:

Ill have a go at answering!

It should go something like this:

Although jogging may cause some adaptation to the muscles and cardiovascular system, I BELIEVE there are far better alternatives in the weight room, that would achieve far greater results, in a much more efficient manner, whilst having less negative effect.

The time spent jogging could be better spent in the gym. A weight training regime should be planned by an experienced trainer, and MAY actually take less time than a jogging program and provide a longer lasting effect on the metabolism, making it easier to maintain a lean body in the future. It will also provide many adaptations a jogging program alone could not.

I also BELIEVE that running should only be an adjunct to a weight training program due to the imbalances it MAY cause and potential injury risks. It must also be taken into account that if a person wishes to add jogging their fat loss exercise program, they should take into account how many calories the activity uses and diet accordingly. They should also consider a weight training course to help protect them against the potential damage a running program may cause.

THERE YOU GO - SOMETHING LIKE THAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER. LOL

More BS. No substance.


Er - now thats funny, I would of thought you agreed with this as you waffle on and on about Nautilus training.

Do you not believe strength training causes adaptations that jogging can not?

Do you not believe strength training in the CORRECT manner can cause cardiovascular adaptations?

Do you not believe a balanced strength training regime protects the runner against injury (hamstrings/shin splints etc)

Do you not believe that the correct application of weight training ticks more boxes than jogging? If not why do you weight train? Why not just jog? (I obviously understand that you dont really lift any weights, so might not notice any benefit from the activity)

Perhaps you should read the works of Arthur Jones or any of the current best strength training coaches.
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

Landau wrote:
Problem: YOU YOU YOU YOU


The problem is you. You need to say you either don't know or quit pontificating.

Landau wrote:
1. Your Question's answer of Physical Fitness is PURE MEATHEAD


Why? Because it's not slow SSTF? What makes that any less "meathead" then anything else? Who gave you ultimate "meathead" assignment duties?

Landau wrote:
2. Answering Stupid Questions that show useless/vague/specious outcomes is boring


YOU DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER!!

Landau wrote:
3. The Goal of Running? - You are Mentally Sick


I don't run! But for those that do, you're saying they're sick huh? They may think the same thing about a bunch of tanned greased up speedo wearing men standing on a stage posing flexing their muscles!

So anything other than YOUR interests is sick is it? I play guitar, is that sick to as it's not SSTF!

ROFLMAO!

Landau wrote:
4. You need to learn the meaning of words/concepts/phrases, otherwise what you don't know will be a rant to you - Reading is fundamental.


SO still no answer..

For those just in David claims there is no benefit to cardiovascular exercise or running. I've asked why then is it then those that DO run/cardio are fitter and better AT running/cardio. Obviously adaptations DO occur in response to this type of exercise. I've asked him what those are, instead of answering or admitting he is wrong he replies with a fountain of bullshit.

Perhaps all the gold medalists in running past and present (who are "sick" in Davids opinion) give a shit who Landau is.. David who?
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

Hey Zero:

1. You have no foundation
2. You use words indiscriminately
3. You read concepts and like a copycat barf them freely on to your key pads
4. You are an Internet Hero Worshipper
5. Go Back to Grammar School and Learn to Read Mongoloid
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

Duh - Yah - I gonna start Jogin da get betta at Jogin - A Real Objective??? So what does that prove other than succumbing to mainstream idiocy - Der Ababtasons so gooooooooood - quit being so stupid son.
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

Landau wrote:
Hey Zero:

1. You have no foundation
2. You use words indiscriminately
3. You read concepts and like a copycat barf them freely on to your key pads
4. You are an Internet Hero Worshipper
5. Go Back to Grammar School and Learn to Read Mongoloid


Landau wrote:
Duh - Yah - I gonna start Jogin da get betta at Jogin - A Real Objective??? So what does that prove other than succumbing to mainstream idiocy - Der Ababtasons so gooooooooood - quit being so stupid son.


More useless Landau style pontification and still no answer...

Guess what .. if you practice running the marathon, YOU'LL GET BETTER AT IT.. operative word = !!BETTER!!

Better = Improvement.

BUT running/cardio doesn't improve anything because David Landau AJ lover said so!

Deluded clown.
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

Dave,

why did you blow off my reply to you??
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

Natty wrote:
Landau wrote:
Hey Zero:

1. You have no foundation
2. You use words indiscriminately
3. You read concepts and like a copycat barf them freely on to your key pads
4. You are an Internet Hero Worshipper
5. Go Back to Grammar School and Learn to Read Mongoloid

Landau wrote:
Duh - Yah - I gonna start Jogin da get betta at Jogin - A Real Objective??? So what does that prove other than succumbing to mainstream idiocy - Der Ababtasons so gooooooooood - quit being so stupid son.

More useless Landau style pontification and still no answer...

Guess what .. if you practice running the marathon, YOU'LL GET BETTER AT IT.. operative word = !!BETTER!!

Better = Improvement.

BUT running/cardio doesn't improve anything because David Landau AJ lover said so!

Deluded clown.


Of what Value is this certain improvement?

1. Does it get you across town quicker?
2. Can you spend it?
3. Can you get paid for it?
4. Does it make you shit better?
5. What is so good about getting better at a marathon, with the exception of a few African Runners that do get paid nicely - so that's one percent of one percent of one percent on and on and on...................

Who cares? I mean WTF moron are you some sort of physical exertion specialist, so that your point is one runs better......OK then?????? You're the fricking clown son.


Open User Options Menu

southbeach

Landau wrote:
Natty wrote:
Landau wrote:
Hey Zero:

1. You have no foundation
2. You use words indiscriminately
3. You read concepts and like a copycat barf them freely on to your key pads
4. You are an Internet Hero Worshipper
5. Go Back to Grammar School and Learn to Read Mongoloid

Landau wrote:
Duh - Yah - I gonna start Jogin da get betta at Jogin - A Real Objective??? So what does that prove other than succumbing to mainstream idiocy - Der Ababtasons so gooooooooood - quit being so stupid son.

More useless Landau style pontification and still no answer...

Guess what .. if you practice running the marathon, YOU'LL GET BETTER AT IT.. operative word = !!BETTER!!

Better = Improvement.

BUT running/cardio doesn't improve anything because David Landau AJ lover said so!

Deluded clown.

Of what Value is this certain improvement?

1. Does it get you across town quicker?
2. Can you spend it?
3. Can you get paid for it?
4. Does it make you shit better?
5. What is so good about getting better at a marathon, with the exception of a few African Runners that do get paid nicely - so that's one percent of one percent of one percent on and on and on...................

Who cares? I mean WTF moron are you some sort of physical exertion specialist, so that your point is one runs better......OK then?????? You're the fricking clown son.




Dave,

does your RESISTANCE training make you healthier?

are those that do not resistance train less healthy?

can you answer these simple questions or not??
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

Ask Jeff Turner
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

Read Body by Science - Get it? Body by Science
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

I told you before - I have a Facility that I believe is not that far from you - I don't need to qualify things on line. There is nothing like being there in person. Body by Science
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

Landau wrote:
I told you before - I have a Facility that I believe is not that far from you - I don't need to qualify things on line. There is nothing like being there in person. Body by Science



i ask YOUR opinion not Doug's. do you really need him?
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

I don't need anyone when it comes down to it. I don't need to spout the obvious, so it can be critiqued by Trolls and up until now, that's all you are - just like that imb garage noviciate UK boy.
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

Landau wrote:
I don't need anyone when it comes down to it. I don't need to spout the obvious, so it can be critiqued by Trolls and up until now, that's all you are - just like that imb garage noviciate UK boy.


go get Doug or someone that's willing to carry on a dialogue.

log off

Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

I have no interest in discussing any thing with TROLLS. I have discussed this very topic with people I revere in the field - Do You Get It? You're Not Anybody. I spoke recently with DH, DDM, GA and they concur - no disagreement or smart ass faggert responses - they are on board. I have to keep going back and forth with virtual dreamer/dummies and I'm not going to do it with you punk. Get It? Get Over It - now you log off you fukin Troll. It's not what your running for, it's what you are running from - Fear. Understand that sentence? It doesn't need research to back it up.
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

Landau wrote:
Of what Value is this certain improvement?


To a RUNNER the benefit is equal to strength gains to a strength athlete or size gains to a bodybuilder. Running doesn't interest you but that does NOT make it wrong.

Landau wrote:
1. Does it get you across town quicker?
2. Can you spend it?
3. Can you get paid for it?
4. Does it make you shit better?
5. What is so good about getting better at a marathon


All the above is nonsense and just more Landau style bullshit. Runners may very well point to us weight lifters and ask similar questions.

Landau wrote:
so that your point is one runs better......OK then?????? You're the fricking clown son.


If running improves.. running, then it's invaluable to a RUNNER!

Idiot.
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

Landau wrote:
I have no interest in discussing any thing with TROLLS.


Because you CAN'T discuss it, you're out of your depth. Call everyone that disagrees with a troll if you like, doesn't negate the fact that you're the biggest HIT jedi clown I've ever encountered.

Landau wrote:
I have discussed this very topic with people I revere in the field - Do You Get It? You're Not Anybody.


Appeal to authority.. Landua's favorite trick. Useless.

Landau wrote:
I spoke recently with DH, DDM, GA and they concur - no disagreement or smart ass faggert responses - they are on board.


Please invite them to this forum where I may be able to get a actual answer from them! Maybe they can explain what adaptations occur to a runner that makes him better at running...

Landau wrote:
I have to keep going back and forth with virtual dreamer/dummies and I'm not going to do it with you punk. Get It? Get Over It - now you log off you fukin Troll.


You could just be honest and say you don't know..

Landau wrote:
It's not what your running for, it's what you are running from - Fear. Understand that sentence? It doesn't need research to back it up.


You don't half talk a lot of bullshit. BTW David you were asked a question:

southbeach wrote:
Dave..

Can you answer these simple questions or not??


Lets have a look...

Landau wrote:
Ask Jeff Turner


Landau wrote:
Read Body by Science - Get it? Body by Science


Landau wrote:
I told you before - I have a Facility.


Landau wrote:
I don't need anyone when it comes down to it.


...Obviously not.

I've never known anyone so full of nonsense and pontification when lacking an answer. You Landau.. are a ignorant clown filled with such arrogance that you cannot see beyond YOUR interests.

Why do you even bother to post to a board, what do you even contribute? All you do is run down anyone with a different goal to you and side step. Useless, it's scary that you actually train people.
Open User Options Menu

Tom Traynor

When did this turn into a "running" board?

Southbeach: Go to Landau's studio and teach him a thing or two. Bring video camera.
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

Natty wrote:
Landau wrote:
I have no interest in discussing any thing with TROLLS.

Because you CAN'T discuss it, you're out of your depth. Call everyone that disagrees with a troll if you like, doesn't negate the fact that you're the biggest HIT jedi clown I've ever encountered.

Landau wrote:
I have discussed this very topic with people I revere in the field - Do You Get It? You're Not Anybody.

Appeal to authority.. Landua's favorite trick. Useless.

Landau wrote:
I spoke recently with DH, DDM, GA and they concur - no disagreement or smart ass faggert responses - they are on board.

Please invite them to this forum where I may be able to get a actual answer from them! Maybe they can explain what adaptations occur to a runner that makes him better at running...

Landau wrote:
I have to keep going back and forth with virtual dreamer/dummies and I'm not going to do it with you punk. Get It? Get Over It - now you log off you fukin Troll.

You could just be honest and say you don't know..

Landau wrote:
It's not what your running for, it's what you are running from - Fear. Understand that sentence? It doesn't need research to back it up.

You don't half talk a lot of bullshit. BTW David you were asked a question:

southbeach wrote:
Dave..

Can you answer these simple questions or not??


Lets have a look...

Landau wrote:
Ask Jeff Turner

Landau wrote:
Read Body by Science - Get it? Body by Science

Landau wrote:
I told you before - I have a Facility.

Landau wrote:
I don't need anyone when it comes down to it.

...Obviously not.

I've never known anyone so full of nonsense and pontification when lacking an answer. You Landau.. are a ignorant clown filled with such arrogance that you cannot see beyond YOUR interests.

Why do you even bother to post to a board, what do you even contribute? All you do is run down anyone with a different goal to you and side step. Useless, it's scary that you actually train people.


What is scary is that you are so STUPID - Like Running Objectives in the whole scheme of things - ah duh impotaht ta da runna - who cares - You're a simpleton dummy - who by the way needs to leave this site - you're a wanna be - get lost loser. The Devil is right.

I was with one of the best trainers on the Planet last weekend - he would beg to differ from your idiot/ignorant pathetic piss poor opinions. That is fact - now go and run back to your internet heroes.
Open User Options Menu

Sjoss

Here is my take ..... Running is not bad - it is just not a good form of exercise.. in fact depending how you define PROPER exercise - it may not even be defined as exercise. The benefits of running - gets the body moving, increases heart rate, increases respiratory rates and increases an individuals overall work capacity..Does it work the heart directly - NO !!!

As you get better at running the heart does not get stronger .. your ability to uptake oxygen - ie - your efficiency in running gets better, but your heart does not get stronger .. You can run longer and harder and faster because your body becomes more efficient in the movement pattern of running and because ANY exercise in general will increase your capacity to perform work.

Is that a bad thing - NO. Problem with running is the repetitive stress and the fact that it does nothing to increase lean tissue, in fact depending on how much you do it can expedite the loss of muscular tissue. If you jog a few miles a day, a few times of week, you may not see the injuries to the kness feet etc .. but if you are serious runner who runs consistently .. you will be dealing with some form of repetitve stress injury over time ...Iti s just a fact - and it has kept Orthopedic Surgeons in business for the past 20 years.

Now a properly designed strength training program - one that focuses on moving quickly between exercises (very little to no rest) and one that moves reps in a controlled fashion targeting all the major muscular structures, will do more good for the body than harm and if done properly will work your cardiovascular system harder than any running that you will ever do.

Remember the heart and lungs respond to the stimulus coming in from the muscles.. it does not matter whether the legs are taking in the stimulus or the arms.. all the heart says is that the muscles are working so the respiration rate increases and the heart reponds.. The harder the stimulus or better yet the more efficent the stimulus - the harder the heart and lungs have to work.

When running or jogging - the muscles are working, but they are not working that hard .. if they were you would not be able to last very long - i.e. - the difference between running and sprinting. Over time during the run the heart rate increases as they legs and the system gets tired .. It occurs over time .. In strength training you can achieve the same in a much shorter time frame, with one big difference.. Once the legs fatigue with running the heart responds and you get tired but the work load does not neccessarily increase.

The workload has a low force output because of its repetitive nature - legs working step per step over time. With strength training the heart responds to the work coming in and you fatigue in a much shorter period of time .. i.e. - 1-2:00 minutes .. Remember heart has no idea where the stimulus is coming from - it is just responding.

Now if you take a break and rest, the heart rate and respiration rates return to normal.. but if you move quickly to next exercise -- things stay elevated. If continued - the heart and respiratory rates will stay higher and peak higher than any running you can perform outside of sprinting - which cannot be performed for 20 minutes straight. I didnt believe all this stuff so about 5 years a ago I decided to do my own little study. I went out and bought an expensive heart rate monitor(downloads to my pc) to test some things .. I took 20 strength workouts and 20 cardiovascular workouts.

The strength workouts were 20 -25 minutes, no rest between exercises and reps performed very strictly to failure. The CV workouts varied anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes, with intervals, stairmaster all the way across the top etc .. Very intense CV. I measured the average and peak (or max) heart rate for each one and then took the average for both.

The strength workouts were higher on both average and peak .. I then printed them out and took them to a cardiologist and asked him .. he said its aerobic exercise .. I said no - its 20-25 minutes of strength training.

I still do basic cardio about 30-35 minutes 2-3 times a week as well as my two strength workouts - one every third or forth day. Why the cardio- it helps with stress, helps me breath better and I like to sweat. I believe their may be some added benefits - enymematically, hormononal release that I might not get from the 20 -25 minutes strength training workout.

I also believe most people need both because very few individuals have the ability or the desire to train to the intensity that I do .. For me cardio is just another form of exercise - more for the brain than anything else.. It is not the best form compared with my training workouts, but it does help in making me feel "fit" and less stressed.

Does the cardio make me fit - no - because what really is fitness anyway ? (Another debate all together is what does an elevated heart rate tell us anyway? But look at aerobic exercise -- its all based on heart rates)... Anyway - my two cents ........
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

Landau wrote:
What is scary is that you are so STUPID - Like Running Objectives in the whole scheme of things - ah duh impotaht ta da runna - who cares - You're a simpleton dummy - who by the way needs to leave this site - you're a wanna be - get lost loser. The Devil is right.

BLA BLA STILL NO ANSWER!

Landau wrote:
I was with one of the best trainers on the Planet last weekend - he would beg to differ from your idiot/ignorant pathetic piss poor opinions.


Please state the name of the trainer that disagrees that running makes you better at running. Sounds like another idiot LIKE YOU!

Landau wrote:
That is fact - now go and run back to your internet heroes.

Who are they then bigshot?

You can't handle the fact that cardio/running training makes you BETTER, MORE EFFICIENT, FASTER, MORE EFFECTIVE... AT RUNNING!!!!!

Indisputable FACT! ^^ ALL IMPROVEMENTS!

Yet you claim there's no benefit!!

Runners.. THEY HAVE TO RUN! To improve their sport/hobby/interest..

Who the hell are you to claim otherwise.

You say all runners are sick, runners, both enthusiasts and competitive say David who? You are just as much a nobody as I am.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Maybe I missed this in all the back and forth crap in this thread and there's a load of it? So if running or other similar exercises don't work the cardiovascular, system/heart lungs etc, what, pray tell does? No rest between sets ??

Scott
Open User Options Menu

N@tural1

entsminger wrote:
Maybe I missed this in all the back and forth crap in this thread and there's a load of it? So if running or other similar exercises don't work the cardiovascular, system/heart lungs etc, what, pray tell does? No rest between sets ??

Scott


^^Such is the mentality of the cultist jedi. Nothing works but one slow single set to failure.. FOR EVERYTHING!

It's laughable Scot.
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy