MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
How Much Can You Squat?
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

SteveHIT

I've been reading a lot about high rep squats being the cornerstone of muscle building, I was just wondering what weights everyone was squatting & for how many reps?

also are they to parallel or below do you wear a belt etc.
Open User Options Menu

natemason5

Ontario, CAN

There are a lot of different factors involved here...and I'm sure everyone will chime in here. How much one "says" they squat will not do justification unless it comes with a video. With the video comes scrutiny!

My best is 225x27 and that is usually when I just about pass out....I don't do high rep squats anymore because of that! They were, in my opinion, to parallel. I weighed 180lbs(+ or - 2lbs).

Why do you ask?

Nate
Open User Options Menu

dhitquinn

I like to stick to 15-30 reps for squats and i go just below parralel. usually for 1-2 sets.

poundage wise i am still a novice squatter and have only been doing it for about 5 months but i can do 2*15 reps at 220lbs (100kgs) by the end of this year i hope to be doing about 120kgs and by next year 150-160kgs for 15-20 reps.

It is a great exercise and highly testing it makes every other exercise feel like a gentle caress from Carmen Electra.
Open User Options Menu

sgb2112

I do 200lbs for 50 reps on the free motion squat machine. Great machine, really targets the quads well. Have crappy leverages for the barbell squat, so gave it up long ago..hit 315lbs for 10 parallel back in the day.
Open User Options Menu

dhitquinn

Great squats guys 225 for 27 takes a lot of mental toughness as does 200lbs for 50 reps
Open User Options Menu

SteveHIT

natemason5 wrote:
There are a lot of different factors involved here...and I'm sure everyone will chime in here. How much one "says" they squat will not do justification unless it comes with a video. With the video comes scrutiny!

My best is 225x27 and that is usually when I just about pass out....I don't do high rep squats anymore because of that! They were, in my opinion, to parallel. I weighed 180lbs(+ or - 2lbs).

Why do you ask?

Nate


Just interested because im focusing on them at the minute in my own workout with good results, its a pretty strong exercise for me im currently doing 363lb (165kg) to parallel without a belt for 13 reps.
I want to get to 400lb for 15 to 20 within the next 6 months.
Open User Options Menu

dhitquinn

I alos find it depends on what equipment you use some is easier to squat with some harder
Open User Options Menu

SteveHIT

sgb2112 wrote:
I do 200lbs for 50 reps on the free motion squat machine. Great machine, really targets the quads well. Have crappy leverages for the barbell squat, so gave it up long ago..hit 315lbs for 10 parallel back in the day.


Trap bar deadlifts are supposed to be a good substitute for the squat.
Open User Options Menu

SteveHIT

stevehit wrote:
I've been reading a lot about high rep squats being the cornerstone of muscle building, I was just wondering what weights everyone was squatting & for how many reps?

also are they to parallel or below do you wear a belt etc.


ps i mean the barbell squat not machine.
Open User Options Menu

HrothgarRannulfr

Ohio, USA

I haven't really tried to see how much I could do on the squat in a long time. Back about 20 years ago, in high school, I could do 7 sets of 15 reps with 300 pounds-- not to parallel (I was into high volume training, back then... two a day splits and all that). But, as I said, not to parallel. Much deeper than only a quarter rep, but definitely not down to parallel.

Now, I can "comfortably" squat (with a barbell) about 125# to rock bottom for 20 reps (at 6'2.5" a body weight of 205#) after pre-exhausting the quads with leg extensions. But, I'm not interested in going much heavier than that with free weights, now. Especially to rock bottom, because I don't have consistent access to a spotter and/or squat rack I trust. Instead, I use a Soloflex in a manner similar to a smith machine. The Soloflex has been modified to allow the addition of wieght plates in addition to the resistance straps when working heavier.

That might not sound like much, but, hey, I've never been considered really strong. I'm stronger than most everyone I know, but I don't know many serious bodybuilders or power lifters, personally.
Open User Options Menu

Paul Marsland

That picture of the guy Squatting is by my good friend Mark Collins, there is a sweat shirt you can buy with it on..

He does all if not most of the art work for Muscle Mag..

Here is a few he has done for me personally..
Open User Options Menu

HrothgarRannulfr

Ohio, USA

stevehit wrote:
Trap bar deadlifts are supposed to be a good substitute for the squat.


I agree. I have a trap bar in my weight room and I love it. Espcially, for heavy partial-rep deadlifts and shrugs.

Open User Options Menu

natemason5

Ontario, CAN

Paul Marsland wrote:
That picture of the guy Squatting is by my good friend Mark Collins, there is a sweat shirt you can buy with it on..

He does all if not most of the art work for Muscle Mag..

Here is a few he has done for me personally..


Yeah...the first time I saw those squat pics was in South Korea. They were all over the place that I trained, but no one did squats there!

Nate
Open User Options Menu

alex////doom

Ontario, CAN

stevehit wrote:
I've been reading a lot about high rep squats being the cornerstone of muscle building, I was just wondering what weights everyone was squatting & for how many reps?

also are they to parallel or below do you wear a belt etc.


My workout Saturday i did 20 reps in the squat with 270lbs and the minimum depth was where the top of my thighs were parallel to the floor.
Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland

Look forward to seeing these videos of some of you doing your so called numbers, and as you HIT people I imagine they with be at a 2/4 or 4/4 ???

I got called out for saying that I could do a certain amount of poundage and reps, but proved what I said on video.

We have sen many claims like this before on the stacking out machines thread, there were NOT one videos to prove any of what was said.

Then in the odd video, we have seen members do a more faster movement on machines ??? When all along they say they are against faster reps ???

All I have ever seen was HSDAD doing very slow reps for quite good poundage, but he hit a sticking point in less than two months.

Wayne
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

stevehit wrote:
I've been reading a lot about high rep squats being the cornerstone of muscle building, I was just wondering what weights everyone was squatting & for how many reps?

also are they to parallel or below do you wear a belt etc.


I would ask why does it matter what anyone can squat with? It's not a valid benchmark for anything of any sort. What could it possibly mean?

Let me give an example of what I am saying.. If you could squat with 200lbs but now you use 250lbs, what does that mean? What does it tell you? Is there some absolute standard in nature that you are trying to live up too?

The squat is highly overrated because it tells you nothing about the progress of any individual muscle or closely related muscle group, and the squat has no analog in nature. In other words the action does not exist as a natural action that anyone would perform outside of the gym.

The squat as a benchmark of progress is a figment of imagination that doesn't exist outside of the gym. (not only that it is inherently dangerous)

Open User Options Menu

natemason5

Ontario, CAN

southbeach wrote:
In other words the action does not exist as a natural action that anyone would perform outside of the gym.




I would tend to disagree with this statement. I think the squat action is probably one of the more "natural" movements...along with chins and dips and Deadlifts. I do agree that it is not a measure of a single muscle getting stronger, but the squat does build strength!

Nate
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Nate==
There are a lot of different factors involved here...and I'm sure everyone will chime in here. How much one "says" they squat will not do justification unless it comes with a video. With the video comes scrutiny!

==Scott==
Yes, anyone can claim to squat tons but untill we can see the video of them in action it doesn't mean alot. How about some video's guys??I haven't squatted in 30 some years but when I did as a teenager I could deep squat around 300 for 10 reps. I have very strong glutes and my legs started to grow out of proportion to my upper body very quickly so I stopped doing squats. If I had continued on with them by now my glutes and legs might have looked like Phil Grapaldi's and that isn't the look I want to have.
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

natemason5 wrote:
southbeach wrote:
In other words the action does not exist as a natural action that anyone would perform outside of the gym.




I would tend to disagree with this statement. I think the squat action is probably one of the more "natural" movements...along with chins and dips and Deadlifts. I do agree that it is not a measure of a single muscle getting stronger, but the squat does build strength!

Nate


I'll go with the deadlift, and possibly the chin-up. Picking somthg off the ground is a natural action we all do on a daily basis. But when was the last time you placed a heavy weight on your upper spine while squatting? (other than in the gym of course)

The "bench press" is another dumb standard that many use. Where in nature do you lie flat on your back and press off the chest?

Open User Options Menu

macke

southbeach wrote:
stevehit wrote:
I've been reading a lot about high rep squats being the cornerstone of muscle building, I was just wondering what weights everyone was squatting & for how many reps?

also are they to parallel or below do you wear a belt etc.

I would ask why does it matter what anyone can squat with? It's not a valid benchmark for anything of any sort. What could it possibly mean?

Let me give an example of what I am saying.. If you could squat with 200lbs but now you use 250lbs, what does that mean? What does it tell you? Is there some absolute standard in nature that you are trying to live up too?

The squat is highly overrated because it tells you nothing about the progress of any individual muscle or closely related muscle group, and the squat has no analog in nature. In other words the action does not exist as a natural action that anyone would perform outside of the gym.

The squat as a benchmark of progress is a figment of imagination that doesn't exist outside of the gym. (not only that it is inherently dangerous)



In other words....you are a weak squatter
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

macke wrote:
southbeach wrote:
stevehit wrote:
I've been reading a lot about high rep squats being the cornerstone of muscle building, I was just wondering what weights everyone was squatting & for how many reps?

also are they to parallel or below do you wear a belt etc.

I would ask why does it matter what anyone can squat with? It's not a valid benchmark for anything of any sort. What could it possibly mean?

Let me give an example of what I am saying.. If you could squat with 200lbs but now you use 250lbs, what does that mean? What does it tell you? Is there some absolute standard in nature that you are trying to live up too?

The squat is highly overrated because it tells you nothing about the progress of any individual muscle or closely related muscle group, and the squat has no analog in nature. In other words the action does not exist as a natural action that anyone would perform outside of the gym.

The squat as a benchmark of progress is a figment of imagination that doesn't exist outside of the gym. (not only that it is inherently dangerous)



In other words....you are a weak squatter


Interesting.. what do you consider a "weak squatter"?
Open User Options Menu

dhitquinn

The squat is certainly more functional for day to day things than say leg extensions or leg presses for example but i dont hear many people on this board complaining about them.

Paul Anderson called them the most rewarding exercise anyone can do as did Doug Hepburn.

They also offer far more than just leg growth as the great book 'super squats' correctly points out.
Open User Options Menu

natemason5

Ontario, CAN

southbeach wrote:
natemason5 wrote:
southbeach wrote:
In other words the action does not exist as a natural action that anyone would perform outside of the gym.




I would tend to disagree with this statement. I think the squat action is probably one of the more "natural" movements...along with chins and dips and Deadlifts. I do agree that it is not a measure of a single muscle getting stronger, but the squat does build strength!

Nate

I'll go with the deadlift, and possibly the chin-up. Picking somthg off the ground is a natural action we all do on a daily basis. But when was the last time you placed a heavy weight on your upper spine while squatting? (other than in the gym of course)

The "bench press" is another dumb standard that many use. Where in nature do you lie flat on your back and press off the chest?



I agree that bench press is not a "natural" move. BB curls are another move that isn't really natural.

Back to squats...I'd love to get a video, but don't have the access.(I literally don't own a video camera)

I think to compare yourself to another in terms of strength would be a difficult thing to do. As southbeach says, there are many ways to make free-weight exercises easier by cheating. As far as I'm concerned you can "cheat" on almost any exercise, including machines.

To each his/her own.

Nate
Open User Options Menu

SteveHIT

ddhitquinn wrote:
The squat is certainly more functional for day to day things than say leg extensions or leg presses for example but i dont hear many people on this board complaining about them.

Paul Anderson called them the most rewarding exercise anyone can do as did Doug Hepburn.

They also offer far more than just leg growth as the great book 'super squats' correctly points out.


I agree, I dont think you'll find many of the worlds strongest men past or present who didnt or dont squat! but if you built wrong for the squat i think you should trap bar deadlift. and as for not a natural lift, sitting down and getting back up isnt natural have you never sat down or taken a shit southbeach?
Open User Options Menu

SteveHIT

Paul Marsland wrote:
That picture of the guy Squatting is by my good friend Mark Collins, there is a sweat shirt you can buy with it on..

He does all if not most of the art work for Muscle Mag..

Here is a few he has done for me personally..


http://www.cafepress.com/...=shutupandsquat
(Link to the t-shirt)
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy