MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Workout Video #3
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Mark S

I wasn't going to post this on here,but a few members have pm'd me to put it up.
If you haven't seen it already, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=gJFURKttdKI

Mark
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Mark HIT wrote:
I wasn't going to post this on here,but a few members have pm'd me to put it up.
If you haven't seen it already, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=gJFURKttdKI

Mark


==Scott==
My question is how is weight being lost while eating even more on a once a week schedule? Even if you did 50 sets of 50 reps you typically wouldn't lose weight on a once a week routine unless there's some extra cardio not mentioned?
Open User Options Menu

natemason5

Ontario, CAN

Thanks for posting the video Mark. I feel for you when you're on the ground afterwards. It's one of those love/hate feelings. You must feel very proud after each workout knowing you continue to get stronger.

Nate
Open User Options Menu

coomo

entsminger wrote:
Mark HIT wrote:
I wasn't going to post this on here,but a few members have pm'd me to put it up.
If you haven't seen it already, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=gJFURKttdKI

Mark

==Scott==
My question is how is weight being lost while eating even more on a once a week schedule? Even if you did 50 sets of 50 reps you typically wouldn't lose weight on a once a week routine unless there's some extra cardio not mentioned?[/quoteI think youll find that mark limits his calorific intake to lose weight Scott, not by performing cardio

Open User Options Menu

Terry Carter

Georgia, USA

Great job again, Mark and James. I know that Scott was kidding with his question. At least I hope so.

Terry
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

coomo wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Mark HIT wrote:
I wasn't going to post this on here,but a few members have pm'd me to put it up.
If you haven't seen it already, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=gJFURKttdKI

Mark

==Scott==
My question is how is weight being lost while eating even more on a once a week schedule? Even if you did 50 sets of 50 reps you typically wouldn't lose weight on a once a week routine unless there's some extra cardio not mentioned?[/quoteI think youll find that mark limits his calorific intake to lose weight Scott, not by performing cardio



==Scott== But didn't the video say he was eating more than before , not limiting his intake??
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Terry Carter wrote:
Great job again, Mark and James. I know that Scott was kidding with his question. At least I hope so.

Terry


==Scott==
No I'm not kidding. Maybe I missread it, maybe my brain malfunctioned but didn't it say in the video that he was eating more than before, not less ??
Open User Options Menu

spud

entsminger wrote:
==Scott==
My question is how is weight being lost while eating even more on a once a week schedule? Even if you did 50 sets of 50 reps you typically wouldn't lose weight on a once a week routine unless there's some extra cardio not mentioned?


Scott,

I think what it means is, that although Mark is now eating more than he was initially, he is still eating a caloric deficit.

What it does not mean is that Mark is eating a caloric surplus and some how managing to lose weight. That would be going against everything we know.

As far as I am aware, Mark's stance is very anti cardio.

It may be, for example, and this is just an example, that Mark has been on a 6 week descending calorie cycle and he has reached the bottom of it and has now gone back to the top again.

Week 1 - 2200 calories per day
Week 2 - 2100 calories per day
Week 3 - 2000 calories per day
Week 4 - 1900 calories per day
Week 5 - 1800 calories per day
Week 6 - 1700 calories per day
Week 7 - 2200 calories per day

It's not totally inconceivable that Mark could have increased his calorie intake and still lose fat.

It would make sense to me that he has increased it in relation to what he was eating when he first began dieting down, rather than having increased it in relation to what he was eating a year ago when for all we know, he could have been stuffing his face.
Open User Options Menu

Mark S

entsminger wrote:


==Scott== But didn't the video say he was eating more than before , not limiting his intake??


Scott

The video states I have upped my calories. Spud has pretty much described the procedure.

I started the diet on approx 1800 calories. I felt I was dropping too quickly and have slowly increased my calories to approx 2400 a day. I may have to increase this slightly again as I am still losing just under 2lbs per week,and at present would prefer it to be just 1lb per week.
So as Spud stated I have increased my intake but I am still in calorie deficit.

As for cardio,I have no intention of running on treadmills or cycling in order to lose BF.

Mark
Open User Options Menu

Terry Carter

Georgia, USA

entsminger wrote:
Terry Carter wrote:
Great job again, Mark and James. I know that Scott was kidding with his question. At least I hope so.

Terry

==Scott==
No I'm not kidding. Maybe I missread it, maybe my brain malfunctioned but didn't it say in the video that he was eating more than before, not less ??


Sorry, I thought you understood that he was still in a calorie deficit state though eating more than during the previous workout video period. Spud has answered this correctly and don't forget that he has also added some extra lean body mass as is indicated by his increased strength which means Mark is burning more calories all the time.

Terry
Open User Options Menu

thebiggfella

Saw it the other day. Excellent stuff!
Open User Options Menu

Mark S

Terry and Nate thanks for the positive comments

Mark
Open User Options Menu

spud

Scott,

A question for you.

As far as his strength training is concerned, how many sets per session and sessions per week would Mark have to perform for you to believe that he was losing weight without doing any cardio?

If he was doing 8 sets twice a week instead of 5 sets once a week, would you believe that he was not doing any cardio?

There are plenty of people on here that have lost weight with no cardio and still do a low volume of weight training even if it is more often than once a week and for more than 5 minutes at a time.

http://www.drdarden.com/...58233&pageNo=20

Check this link above. Look at the photo of Jeff and read what Josh Trentine write about Jef's training:

Joshua Trentine wrote:
Fyi Jeff, is a member of team OVERLOAD, He trains only 2x/week for 20minutes, uses almost exclusively superslow, came in the pro division under 4%bf and did NO cardio.


So 20 minutes twice a week probably means about 15-20 sets per week, but he still manages to get to 4% body fat with a low volume of weight training.

Andrew Shortt also answered me on another thread saying that the only cardio he did when dieting down for his last contest was walking his dogs, and I believe that Josh also does no cardio to get in contest shape.

David Landau is another guy who is super lean with no cardio and about 20 minutes of training per week.
Open User Options Menu

AShortt

Ontario, CAN

Looking good Mark, really like your row set, brutally clean and nice pacing...I felt your pain ;n) Sweet to have all those nice smooth Hammer machines preloaded for you and at your full disposal, I assume you realize your living the good life there!

Please keep posting here, forget those who don't really know what they're looking at. It is inspiring to see you finishing on sheer willpower in the Row and Leg Press set.

Regards,
Andrew
Open User Options Menu

Benjamin Dover

Spud, you're right. Cardio is absolutely not required and is, in most cases, counterproductive (PREVENTING maximum muscle growth).

I think it's only the dogmatic, set-in-their-ways, closed minded individuals who cling to the notion of cardio as a valid method of fat loss. I believe such people should stop being so defensive, almost religious...perhaps even CULT-LIKE...and open their minds to something different. It's frightening how the "Cardio Freaks"...or should I say "Cardio Jedi" close ranks over the questioning of their "beliefs".

Scott, something for you:
A man trains twice weekly, performing ten exercises per session. He's struggling to lose fat (although he's controlling his calorie intake) because he's yet to understand that he's exercising TOO MUCH. He's actually preventing the growth of calorie burning muscle.

His friend is training once weekly, performing only three exercises per session. By controlling his calorie intake, he's steadily losing a little fat every week. He's exercising JUST ENOUGH to build calorie burning muscle which helps him towards his goal.

The above, in my opinion, illustrates the role exercise should play in a fat loss program.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Terrific stuff , i enjoyed the previous 2 & TBH I doubted you would increase in strength any further , but this one is terrific ... well done Mark.

T.
Open User Options Menu

Mark S

AShortt wrote:
Looking good Mark, really like your row set, brutally clean and nice pacing...I felt your pain ;n) Sweet to have all those nice smooth Hammer machines preloaded for you and at your full disposal, I assume you realize your living the good life there!

Please keep posting here, forget those who don't really know what they're looking at. It is inspiring to see you finishing on sheer willpower in the Row and Leg Press set.

Regards,
Andrew


Thanks Andrew. I must admit it is nice to be able to train without having to concern myself with availability of the machines.

Regards
Mark

PS All I need now is to find someone who will load the machines for me.
Open User Options Menu

Mark S

Turpin wrote:
Terrific stuff , i enjoyed the previous 2 & TBH I doubted you would increase in strength any further , but this one is terrific ... well done Mark.

T.


Thanks T. Glad you are enjoying the videos.

I have set aside another 8 weeks on this program. I am aiming for 5 reps with the following:

O.PRESS 320/322.5
PULLDOWN 350
D,PRESS 320
ROW 300
L.PRESS 700.

Regards
Mark
Open User Options Menu

Bastion

JamesT wrote:
Spud, you're right. Cardio is absolutely not required and is, in most cases, counterproductive (PREVENTING maximum muscle growth).

I think it's only the dogmatic, set-in-their-ways, closed minded individuals who cling to the notion of cardio as a valid method of fat loss. I believe such people should stop being so defensive, almost religious...perhaps even CULT-LIKE...and open their minds to something different. It's frightening how the "Cardio Freaks"...or should I say "Cardio Jedi" close ranks over the questioning of their "beliefs".

Scott, something for you:
A man trains twice weekly, performing ten exercises per session. He's struggling to lose fat (although he's controlling his calorie intake) because he's yet to understand that he's exercising TOO MUCH. He's actually preventing the growth of calorie burning muscle.

His friend is training once weekly, performing only three exercises per session. By controlling his calorie intake, he's steadily losing a little fat every week. He's exercising JUST ENOUGH to build calorie burning muscle which helps him towards his goal.

The above, in my opinion, illustrates the role exercise should play in a fat loss program.


This is a fantastic post James.
Provide a stimulus, rest and allow the body to make the changes.
Open User Options Menu

Runedog

Virginia, USA

Great video Mark; truly an inspiration.

To me it's obvious that Scott did not know that Mark was still in a calorie deficit, and thus the continued fat loss even though he is consuming more. Imo. some folks on this forum look for any excuse to go into "attack mode".
Open User Options Menu

Waynes

Switzerland


Mark HIT wrote:
I wasn't going to post this on here,but a few members have pm'd me to put it up.
If you haven't seen it already, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=gJFURKttdKI

Mark


Good video, and great bit of cardio for losing BF.

But how do we know you are gaining muscle and losing fat ??? We do not know your starting BF when you started training.

And what weights did you start on so and so years ago ???

JamesT, why do you not train ??? Or do you just train but just to keep fit ???

Wayne
Open User Options Menu

s153015

New Brunswick, CAN

form is amazing, nice short tul, excellent tul, if it were me, I would watch the momentary breath holding, but I'm nitipicking, otherwise close to perfect example... keep up the great work!
Open User Options Menu

jmcb

Mark
I think your work ethic is fantastic. Some people just don't get it. Some of them never will! Watching you inspires me! Your workout has your body utilzing stored fat for hours after you finish. Steady state aerobic work can't hold a candle to back to back sets done to failure. Thanks for posting the link. Please continue.
Jim
Open User Options Menu

Raider22

Ohio, USA

This is a great example of productive HIT. You have to train with great intensity and weight that is challenging for the exercise.
Open User Options Menu

natemason5

Ontario, CAN

s153015 wrote:
form is amazing, nice short tul, excellent tul, if it were me, I would watch the momentary breath holding, but I'm nitipicking, otherwise close to perfect example... keep up the great work!


I agree...a great exemplar!

Nate
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy