MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Updating The Colorado Experiment
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Ellington Darden

An old friend from my Nautilus days, asked me recently about Casey Viator and the Colorado Experiment. One of the questions was so detailed that I had to dig through several boxes of musty folders to find the answer. During that process, I remembered back to the first time I heard about Viator's phenomenal 63-pound gain of muscle mass.

Wow, I thought to myself, how long has it been since Arthur Jones and Casey Viator completed the Colorado Experiment? Answer: 37 years.

My memory was still sharp as I thumbed through all of Jones's notes, routines, facts, and figures. What a treasure trove of material I had in my hands . . . and, at least some of it, Jones had never shared with anyone other than me.

The time seemed right for a reexamination of The Colorado Experiment, and that's exactly what I've done. This report is important because I'm revealing a lot of information that has NEVER BEEN PUBLISHED.

To read this article, go to www.drdardenfitness.com, register on my new web site in the submit block under Viator's chest photo, and then click into the FREE download.

I hope you enjoy . . .

37 Years After
THE COLORADO EXPERIMENT:
Facts and Fictions

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

chasbari

Ohio, USA

Done! Can't wait to read it. Thanks for revisiting this and sharing it. The new web site looks good.
Chas
Open User Options Menu

johnbhoy

Armed Forces - Europe

Thank you for that, love the new website.
John.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Just registered and downloaded/read the `colorado experiment revisited`

Great stuff.

T.
Open User Options Menu

Hitit

Nice! Thanks!

Brian
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

==Scott==
I can't wait to read this!! I'm curious,is there a more definitive account of your work at Nautilus and when and why you eventually left there and went elsewhere? Anything about your work is always welcome!!
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

==Scott==
Ok, I read it and I like it!!Very straight forward and honest!! Thanks!
Open User Options Menu

Mega-duty

Thanks,very interesting.I think I'll try the negative repetitions. I've never done before true negative reps,only after normal set.
Open User Options Menu

BennyAnthonyOfKC

Missouri, USA




TO: Dr.Darden
SUBJECT: fictions

I very much enjoyed, and I am grateful, that you published what you did on THE COLORADO EXPERIMENT. While I have never minded people attempting to improve upon the body of work that Arthur Jones, as well as yourself, have left the world, NOTHING TICKS ME OFF MORE TO READ PEOPLE COMPLETELY DENYING THE FACTS FOUND BY THE BOTH OF YOU. At the same time, there are also plenty of ignorant people that believe adding third and fourth sets as a constant matter of routine is an improvement upon the body of work too. In either case, it was great to read you write in terms of FICTIONS that people have attempted to hang onto the neck of THE COLORADO EXPERIMENT that had its facts straight, in the first place.


Open User Options Menu

Mega-duty

Dr. Darden,Jones talked one legged squats sometimes.How its done?
Open User Options Menu

RW Hawk

Virgin Islands

Benny,

Very well stated. I'm sure many feel the same way.
Open User Options Menu

cmg

BennyAnthonyOfKC wrote:



TO: Dr.Darden
SUBJECT: fictions

I very much enjoyed, and I am grateful, that you published what you did on THE COLORADO EXPERIMENT. While I have never minded people attempting to improve upon the body of work that Arthur Jones, as well as yourself, have left the world, NOTHING TICKS ME OFF MORE TO READ PEOPLE COMPLETELY DENYING THE FACTS FOUND BY THE BOTH OF YOU. At the same time, there are also plenty of ignorant people that believe adding third and fourth sets as a constant matter of routine is an improvement upon the body of work too. In either case, it was great to read you write in terms of FICTIONS that people have attempted to hang onto the neck of THE COLORADO EXPERIMENT that had its facts straight, in the first place.





I second that!

Regards,

Ron
Open User Options Menu

cmg

Very nice website Dr. Darden. I downloaded the article and will read it soon.

I must say - every time I stray and add sets etc. I always get worse results than following your advise for the advanced trainee of 1x/5 days. My best success seems to be around 5 sets/workout.

Thank you for all.

Best regards,

Ron
Open User Options Menu

perrymk

Dr. Darden

A few years back I purchased a CD containing scanned documents and notes (some handwritten) of what purport to be the Colorado Experiment and also the West Point Study. It also has some old Ironman magazine articles about the CE and numerous photos of Casey Viator and Arthur Jones. The photos appear similar to what appear in the Ironman article so I am assuming they are from the CE.

This was purchased from the Piedmmont Design Associates. I notice it now requires a password to access their website so I cannot verify whether they still offer this CD.

Have you heard of this collection before? Is the info on this CD legit? Am I sitting on a goldmine of information or was I scammed?

Thank you
Perry
Open User Options Menu

Lioncourt

perrymk wrote:
Dr. Darden

A few years back I purchased a CD containing scanned documents and notes (some handwritten) of what purport to be the Colorado Experiment and also the West Point Study. It also has some old Ironman magazine articles about the CE and numerous photos of Casey Viator and Arthur Jones. The photos appear similar to what appear in the Ironman article so I am assuming they are from the CE.

This was purchased from the Piedmmont Design Associates. I notice it now requires a password to access their website so I cannot verify whether they still offer this CD.

Have you heard of this collection before? Is the info on this CD legit? Am I sitting on a goldmine of information or was I scammed?

Thank you
Perry


All of the Colorado Experiment routine notes are up on Cyberpump. If you pay the $10 registration, you can see them there.
Open User Options Menu

Tony Williams

The extent of negative exercises which Jones and Viator used is new to me and quite interesting.

Does any film or video exist of the CE?

Regards,
Tony
Open User Options Menu

Lioncourt

The thing I found most interesting is how little Casey's measurements went up. He gained 63 pounds of muscle and only gained just over 2" on each arm. From what I've read, I thought it was around 15 lbs of muscle results in a 1" gain. I'm not disputing any of the data presented, it's just an interesting result.
Open User Options Menu

jastrain

man o man i wish those negative machines were the popular machines today. did you see the weight stack on the overhead press machine? too expensive for most gyms??? commercial gyms quickly realized they could make just as much money with cheap equipment as expensive machines--look at curves these gyms use machines that dont even have weight stacks and they are wildly successful .what a shame for people who took to strength training seriously. we got jipped. even aj realized that these negative machines were not selling and the double machines became all singles to maximize profits. cant fault hm for that but it would be nice to build a line of those machines with bearings and kevlar.
Open User Options Menu

theHITman

jastrain wrote:
look at curves these gyms use machines that dont even have weight stacks and they are wildly successful


They don't have a negative either.

Open User Options Menu

chasbari

Ohio, USA

Just finished reading it. It is always good to do a reset and start fresh with the true facts in mind. Thanks for the clarity of presentation. Your writing is always top notch. Always good to hear about what it was like in the early days of NSMI.
CS
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Lioncourt wrote:
The thing I found most interesting is how little Casey's measurements went up. He gained 63 pounds of muscle and only gained just over 2" on each arm. From what I've read, I thought it was around 15 lbs of muscle results in a 1" gain. I'm not disputing any of the data presented, it's just an interesting result.


Arthur Jones once said that adding an inch of circumference to a 17" arm required a lot more cross-sectional area and pure mass than adding an inch to a 15" arm. He had some rough drawings to reinforce what he was talking about and he may have used that information in an Ironman article. Anybody else remember if this material was ever published?

Ellington


Open User Options Menu

perrymk

Ellington Darden wrote:
Arthur Jones once said that adding an inch of circumference to a 17" arm required a lot more cross-sectional area and pure mass than adding an inch to a 15" arm.

I scanned some old Ironman articles but did not see this mentioned.

However, the basic math formulas would be:

A = Pi*r*r
C = Pi*d
r = d/2


Consider a 15, 16, 17, and 18 inch arm.


First get the radius of each arm.

15
C = Pi*d
d = C/Pi = 15/3.14 = 4.78
r = d/2 = 4.78/2 = 2.39

16
r = 2.55

17
r=2.7

18
r=2.87


Next figure the area of a circle with each radius.

A15 = Pi*r*r = 3.14*2.39*2.39 = 17.9

A16 = 20.42

A17 = 22.89

A18 = 25.86


The difference in area is:

A16 - A15 = 20.42 - 17.9 = 2.52

A18 - A17 = 25.86 - 22.89 = 2.97


The percent difference is:

2.97/2.52*100 = 117.9

So one needs to add about 18% more muscle to go from 17 to 18 than to go from 15 to 16.

This does not take into account that an arm is not usually a perfect cylinder.
Someone please check my math and logic.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

perrymk,

Your math looks similar to what Jones did some 35 years ago. Thanks.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

backtrack

I think I would be more impressed if Viator had poor genetics as opposed to one in a million, and hadn't been previously muscular - for these reasons I am not at all surprised about the transformation, but also bearing these facts in mind people should not come away with false hope.

As for steroids, I still think it is only natural for anyone who has any interest in bodybuilding to think that he had used steroids as its widely accepted most bodybuilders do.

Dan
Open User Options Menu

SteveHIT

Ellington thanks for the article.

Steve
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy