MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Ori Hofmekler?!
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

DNAHelix

New York, USA

Does the name ring the bell? He talks much about the nutrition and muscle.

Not that I got captivated by anything he says, just wanted to know what do you guys know about his theories and are they sound in any way?
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

For fat loss the IF or intermittent fasting approach does work. I know if defies conventional wisdom but it works. It's not easy but if you can stay with it as a lifestyle choice then you will carry less body fat on you without purposefully limiting calories.
With his approach you eat your main meals within a 4 hour window in the evening. The rest of the day is spent nourishing your body with easily digested proteins (whey) and low glycemic fruits and veggies. I lost 20lbs while still drinking beer and wine in the evenings and not being really strict. I had zero strength loss but I do not measure bodyfat or fat free mass.
He will release a new book on Monday which I suggest you buy if you are really interested.
It is a healthy diet lifestyle that he preaches. He really gets technical regarding hormones and other body precesses which were initially beyond my university nutritional education.
Open User Options Menu

coach-jeff

Louisiana, USA

Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...
Open User Options Menu

DNAHelix

New York, USA

summaHIT wrote:
For fat loss the IF or intermittent fasting approach does work. I know if defies conventional wisdom but it works. It's not easy but if you can stay with it as a lifestyle choice then you will carry less body fat on you without purposefully limiting calories.
With his approach you eat your main meals within a 4 hour window in the evening. The rest of the day is spent nourishing your body with easily digested proteins (whey) and low glycemic fruits and veggies. I lost 20lbs while still drinking beer and wine in the evenings and not being really strict. I had zero strength loss but I do not measure bodyfat or fat free mass.
He will release a new book on Monday which I suggest you buy if you are really interested.
It is a healthy diet lifestyle that he preaches. He really gets technical regarding hormones and other body precesses which were initially beyond my university nutritional education.


20lbs of what, overall body mass or just fat? I am always cautious to any such advice. Recently I have gone to his website where he is preaching something along the lines of SB's marasmus, no meat etc.
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

coachjeff wrote:
Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...


No offense but that is definitely not a debunking of anything. It's poorly written and offers nothing for the reader except an understanding that he does not like to be criticized.
Read Ori's books and THEN make up your mind.
There is more to it than just IF and most have no clue as to what Ori's total protocol is which this Anthony guy never referred to at all in his article.
Open User Options Menu

DNAHelix

New York, USA

coachjeff wrote:
Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...


Jeff,

Thank you. I have never followed any diet and I do not think I will, except say paleo diet, that has actually worked miracles on me (but that is me).

I was very surprised that someone who does not have any medical education would go into hormonal aspects of human body.

His stance on estrogen is questionable, there are different types of estrogen and estrogen is actually used to pump blood through your heart.

His stance on testosterone is not without a reason but again, one can not boost up the testosterone in the body by using his formula of Mucuna, Tribulus Terrestris and Ashwagandha.
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

kulitsa wrote:
summaHIT wrote:
For fat loss the IF or intermittent fasting approach does work. I know if defies conventional wisdom but it works. It's not easy but if you can stay with it as a lifestyle choice then you will carry less body fat on you without purposefully limiting calories.
With his approach you eat your main meals within a 4 hour window in the evening. The rest of the day is spent nourishing your body with easily digested proteins (whey) and low glycemic fruits and veggies. I lost 20lbs while still drinking beer and wine in the evenings and not being really strict. I had zero strength loss but I do not measure bodyfat or fat free mass.
He will release a new book on Monday which I suggest you buy if you are really interested.
It is a healthy diet lifestyle that he preaches. He really gets technical regarding hormones and other body precesses which were initially beyond my university nutritional education.

20lbs of what, overall body mass or just fat? I am always cautious to any such advice. Recently I have gone to his website where he is preaching something along the lines of SB's marasmus, no meat etc.


20 lbs of mostly fat as all my pants are loose and I had zero strength loss. I could give you a good before and after picture but have been immobile and detrained for many weeks so I have put on some fat and lost muscle.

He does not preach avoiding meat. You are very wrong with this belief.

He believes that we should be consuming large amounts of low glycemic raw fruits, veggies, and nuts/seeds as well as organic meet of all varieties. Grass fed beef,wild salmon, and whey protein are at the top of his list.
Is this really radical. Sounds smart to me.
He also shows, if people care to understand physiology, that the difference between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system needs to be appreciated through how we feed.

I felt the same way as most would when I first heard about IF. IF can also mean different things to different people so you also need to understand what others are referring to when they say IF.

Most of what I learned in University regarding nutrition, which is the general view about what and when to eat, is wrong or misguided.
Open User Options Menu

coach-jeff

Louisiana, USA

summaHIT wrote:
coachjeff wrote:
Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...


No offense but that is definitely not a debunking of anything. It's poorly written and offers nothing for the reader except an understanding that he does not like to be criticized.
Read Ori's books and THEN make up your mind.

There is more to it than just IF and most have no clue as to what Ori's total protocol is which this Anthony guy never referred to at all in his article.


=======================================

Hey Summa - No offense taken.

I actually read Ori's book almost 10 year ago, and did the diet then as well. My muscles melted away at a rapid rate, and I was very hungry.

My wife liked it however.

If you research what people's experience with it was on different forums, you'll find that woman tended to like it better than men. Many BB say it resulted in muscle loss.

Of course, Martin's IF approach is not the same as Ori's, as he actually eats 3 meals per day.

I know that no matter what the diet is, SOME folks will indeed do well with it. But I find that more "middle of the road" diets work better for MOST folks, as opposed to more radical diet approaches.

That make sense?
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

coachjeff wrote:
summaHIT wrote:
coachjeff wrote:
Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...


No offense but that is definitely not a debunking of anything. It's poorly written and offers nothing for the reader except an understanding that he does not like to be criticized.
Read Ori's books and THEN make up your mind.

There is more to it than just IF and most have no clue as to what Ori's total protocol is which this Anthony guy never referred to at all in his article.


=======================================

Hey Summa - No offense taken.

I actually read Ori's book almost 10 year ago, and did the diet then as well. My muscles melted away at a rapid rate, and I was very hungry.

My wife liked it however.

If you research what people's experience with it was on different forums, you'll find that woman tended to like it better than men. Many BB say it resulted in muscle loss.

Of course, Martin's IF approach is not the same as Ori's, as he actually eats 3 meals per day.

I know that no matter what the diet is, SOME folks will indeed do well with it. But I find that more "middle of the road" diets work better for MOST folks, as opposed to more radical diet approaches.

That make sense?


Hi Jeff,
Your experience is strange if you followed it for a reasonable period of time. Muscle simply does not melt away like that and your hunger is controlled by Leptin which should have moderated to make your hunger go away or more bearable.

As well, you can consume fruit, veggies, and protein during the 20 hour under-eating phase so it is not a starvation diet nor should you be only having 1 meal.

It is definitely not the easy way out for lifelong health and body comp management but it is more effective than most diets or ways of eating.
Open User Options Menu

krazy kaju

coachjeff wrote:
Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...


Colpo's "debunking" is a load of BS. For a good refutation of what Colpo has to say, read this: http://heavydutyhit.blogspot.c...
Open User Options Menu

coach-jeff

Louisiana, USA

krazy kaju wrote:
coachjeff wrote:
Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...


Colpo's "debunking" is a load of BS. For a good refutation of what Colpo has to say, read this: http://heavydutyhit.blogspot.c...



==================================

Guys I still do not believe that IF does anything magical. Merely provides a frame-work for SOME people to reduce calorie intake.(In much the same way that low-fat, paleo or LC diets provide a template for SOME people to reduce calorie intake in an "ad-libitum" eating situation. And again...MANY fat people got fat eating only one meal per day.

But if it works for ya, them I'm all for it! I personally prefer to count calories, but I do acknowledge that other approaches will be preferable to others in regards to keeping calorie intake where it needs to be.
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

Jeff,
It's NOT magic, it's science!
Open User Options Menu

krazy kaju

coachjeff wrote:
krazy kaju wrote:
coachjeff wrote:
Quite familiar with him. His "Warrior Diet" is indeed an intermittent fasting diet, which I believe to be vastly over-rated.

Any and all diets that create weight loss do so through one and only one mechanism - by providing a framework for SOME people to eat less calories. Warrior Diet works for SOME because it more or less forces SOME people to eat less food.

But keep in mind that MANY people became obese eating only one meal per day.

For a good debunking of IF I recommend Anthony Colpo's article on the topic.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=209...


Colpo's "debunking" is a load of BS. For a good refutation of what Colpo has to say, read this: http://heavydutyhit.blogspot.c...



==================================

Guys I still do not believe that IF does anything magical. Merely provides a frame-work for SOME people to reduce calorie intake.(In much the same way that low-fat, paleo or LC diets provide a template for SOME people to reduce calorie intake in an "ad-libitum" eating situation. And again...MANY fat people got fat eating only one meal per day.

But if it works for ya, them I'm all for it! I personally prefer to count calories, but I do acknowledge that other approaches will be preferable to others in regards to keeping calorie intake where it needs to be.


You can BELIEVE anything you want, but the FACTS are that no one claims that IF does anything magical. There is an emerging field of scientific evidence which shows that IF, in various forms, provides various health and performance-enhancement benefits. Your problem seems to be that you dismiss any evidence in favor of IF out-of-hand, simply because you CHOOSE not to BELIEVE in it. Instead of reaffirming your belief by reading anything that does so and rejecting everything that does not, why not change things up and see if what the other side has to say makes any sense?

You (and Colpo) need to stop treating this issue as if it were an issue of religious faith.
Open User Options Menu

coach-jeff

Louisiana, USA

krazy kaju wrote:
Your problem seems to be that you dismiss any evidence in favor of IF out-of-hand, simply because you CHOOSE not to BELIEVE in it. Instead of reaffirming your belief by reading anything that does so and rejecting everything that does not, why not change things up and see if what the other side has to say makes any sense?

You (and Colpo) need to stop treating this issue as if it were an issue of religious faith.



But what you probably don't know is that I literally have an entire file jammed-full of study's dealing with the often contentious issue of meal-frequency.

I also subscribe to the blogs of several IF advocates such as Lean Saloon and Martin's.

I have also read Alan Aragon's writings on this issue. Including his revised stance on IF.

I also followed an IF diet two times in my life for about a month.

So I would challenge your assertion that I've dismissed this out-of-hand. I apologize if I came across that way.

I'm actually VERY aware of the science.

Keep in mind that "science" can also be cited for the efficacy of 6 small meals per day. Lower cortisol levels are a consistent finding with increased meal frequency for instance.

I have simply learned to be very, very wary of any diet protocol that cites all kinds of "hormonal-change" type arguments in support of semi-extreme dietary protocols.

Would you all who believe in IF at least agree that MANY fat people got fat eating only once per day? I mean we can all agree that is indeed a fact, right?
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

coachjeff wrote:
krazy kaju wrote:
Your problem seems to be that you dismiss any evidence in favor of IF out-of-hand, simply because you CHOOSE not to BELIEVE in it. Instead of reaffirming your belief by reading anything that does so and rejecting everything that does not, why not change things up and see if what the other side has to say makes any sense?

You (and Colpo) need to stop treating this issue as if it were an issue of religious faith.



But what you probably don't know is that I literally have an entire file jammed-full of study's dealing with the often contentious issue of meal-frequency.

I also subscribe to the blogs of several IF advocates such as Lean Saloon and Martin's.

I have also read Alan Aragon's writings on this issue. Including his revised stance on IF.

I also followed an IF diet two times in my life for about a month.

So I would challenge your assertion that I've dismissed this out-of-hand. I apologize if I came across that way.

I'm actually VERY aware of the science.

Keep in mind that "science" can also be cited for the efficacy of 6 small meals per day. Lower cortisol levels are a consistent finding with increased meal frequency for instance.

I have simply learned to be very, very wary of any diet protocol that cites all kinds of "hormonal-change" type arguments in support of semi-extreme dietary protocols.

Would you all who believe in IF at least agree that MANY fat people got fat eating only once per day? I mean we can all agree that is indeed a fact, right?


Whomever these fat people are that you are referring to did not get fat because they consumed 1 meal per day.
Open User Options Menu

gerry-hitman

I have been doing IF for 5 months now.

It works, and works VERY well.

"working well" to me means, preserving or adding lean tissue while at the same time keeping the fat % low.

Being a very "carb sensitive" person, this "way of eating" has allowed me to enjoy carbs again with EVERY meal and not pay the price in fat gain.

Eating more carbs has made eating in general much more enjoyable, AND an increase in muscle glycogen has given me a fuller look and strength increase...sound too good to be true?

Its true.

But like all dietary changes its takes time for the body to adjust...this is where MOST people fail. They dont "feel good" at the start and being "wimps" they bail out before the body makes the necessary adjustments and settles into the "new norm".

My first week with IF had its moments of discomfort...when I would eat my first meal after fasting 18 hours I would have some "gut discomfort" in the form of "gas pains"...I would feel a little "weak" at about the 12-14 hour mark.

But I expected my body to adapt...and lo and behold it DID as expected. No more gas pains, or weakness...in fact I feel MORE energy now during the fat phase than during the eating phase.

IF looks like a "keeper" for me...for good..

I have posted pics on the "post your pics" thread and I look better than before I started IF....

Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

I would just like to add that I am not giving coachjeff a hard time. I did take all the courses in University to have a nutrition degree. I just never applied to receive a minor in it with my kinesiology degree.

Most of what I learned and what they currently espouse as the best way to eat will make you fat unless you have a caloric deficient diet. There is no reason for us to eat grains such as bread and pasta to the degree the recommend. These were the staples that I learned were necessary for good health. I followed Ori's Warrior Diet as best I could and found that it worked despite learning that 1 meal a day would make you fat. I did not eat 1 meal a day but the research is pointing to some sort of fasting being the key to living a longer and healthier life. Not calorie restriction necessarily but some type of fasting. I do not have all the answers and can only give you my experience and some proof of it allowing you to lower your body fat by IF.

It is a similar diet to a paleo diet but manages the feeding times.
Open User Options Menu

jroach

gerry-hitman wrote:

IF looks like a "keeper" for me...for good..

I have posted pics on the "post your pics" thread and I look better than before I started IF....



I too practice intermittent fasting. After breakfast i fast for up to five or even six (SIX!) hours until i eat my he-man cave lunch, then it's off for another epic fast of five or six hours (sometimes ill just do seven cuz im nuts) before a scrumptious dinner of freshkill paleosabertoothburger.

Then i do the unthinkable...I sleep, sometimes for up to nine hours!!!! No eating involved at all, the horrors!

But owing to my vastly superior genetics, i am able to survive this masochistic hunger strike and emerge alive and kicking from my sleep, ready to...break my fast, with breakfast.

I know I'm living on the edge fasting so much, but I try to keep it within bounds.
Open User Options Menu

gerry-hitman

jroach wrote:
gerry-hitman wrote:

IF looks like a "keeper" for me...for good..

I have posted pics on the "post your pics" thread and I look better than before I started IF....



I too practice intermittent fasting. After breakfast i fast for up to five or even six (SIX!) hours until i eat my he-man cave lunch, then it's off for another epic fast of five or six hours (sometimes ill just do seven cuz im nuts) before a scrumptious dinner of freshkill paleosabertoothburger.

Then i do the unthinkable...I sleep, sometimes for up to nine hours!!!! No eating involved at all, the horrors!

But owing to my vastly superior genetics, i am able to survive this masochistic hunger strike and emerge alive and kicking from my sleep, ready to...break my fast, with breakfast.

I know I'm living on the edge fasting so much, but I try to keep it within bounds.


Boo hoo poor you. feel better now?
Open User Options Menu

the_iron_goose

I skimmed through his Warrior Diet book and while it may work I was not impressed by the book at all. I was following along in such manner of not being impressed until I came to the parts about going out and killing a pizza and the idea of the warm sauce being interpreted by the brain as blood from a fresh kill. At that point I really could not see the technical nature of his book at all and I began to dismiss his connection to what we've come to associate with German research and began to wonder if maybe Ori was taking a little too much acid. Sure can help to pass the day while not eating and waiting for that one big meal at night and hoping that your book sells so you can buy another meal tomorrow.
Open User Options Menu

the_iron_goose

Actually, he's probably scouring around the countryside looking for a small rodent to eat.

Lot cheaper.
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

the_iron_goose wrote:
I skimmed through his Warrior Diet book and while it may work I was not impressed by the book at all. I was following along in such manner of not being impressed until I came to the parts about going out and killing a pizza and the idea of the warm sauce being interpreted by the brain as blood from a fresh kill. At that point I really could not see the technical nature of his book at all and I began to dismiss his connection to what we've come to associate with German research and began to wonder if maybe Ori was taking a little too much acid. Sure can help to pass the day while not eating and waiting for that one big meal at night and hoping that your book sells so you can buy another meal tomorrow.


Your typical stupid and useless remarks are on par with Strongs bs.
As well, Ori is Israeli not German.
Open User Options Menu

the_iron_goose

summaHIT wrote:
the_iron_goose wrote:
I skimmed through his Warrior Diet book and while it may work I was not impressed by the book at all. I was following along in such manner of not being impressed until I came to the parts about going out and killing a pizza and the idea of the warm sauce being interpreted by the brain as blood from a fresh kill. At that point I really could not see the technical nature of his book at all and I began to dismiss his connection to what we've come to associate with German research and began to wonder if maybe Ori was taking a little too much acid. Sure can help to pass the day while not eating and waiting for that one big meal at night and hoping that your book sells so you can buy another meal tomorrow.

You're typical stupid and useless remarks are on par with Strongs bs.
As well, Ori is Israeli not German.


Oh, I wouldn't say it that way, but I can certainly see how someone might say that about the book. May work, but like you say typical and stupid....the shoe fits...probably just stupid.
Open User Options Menu

the_iron_goose

Maybe there are some parts of the book that are good. But I was just so turned off by the parts of the book that were non-technical that I had to put the book down. Maybe someday I will come upon better parts. Maybe.

It's going to take a lot to pick that book up again.
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

the_iron_goose wrote:
Maybe there are some parts of the book that are good. But I was just so turned off by the parts of the book that were non-technical that I had to put the book down. Maybe someday I will come upon better parts. Maybe.

It's going to take a lot to pick that book up again.


It's not a storybook you knob.

Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy