MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Is Red Meat Unhealthy?
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Tony Williams

http://articles.latimes.com/...hy-bad-20120314

Tony
Open User Options Menu

perrymk

Red meat isn't unhealthy. Green fuzzy meat, now that is unhealthy!


(I haven't eaten red meat in more than 30 years but really don't care if anyone else does)
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

==Scott==
Here comes Southbeach!!!
Open User Options Menu

db144

The quality and quantity of meat is the heart of this question.

Cheap supermarket meat and too much of it IMO is the problem and not meat itself. If one purchases premium meat, free range organic, all the "unhealthy" aspects disappear.

d

Open User Options Menu

DNAHelix

New York, USA

Tony Williams wrote:
http://articles.latimes.com/...hy-bad-20120314

Tony


Depending on what the cow was eating can be good or bad. Eating red meat every day is definitely a bad idea.
Open User Options Menu

overfiftylifter

Is there a difference in the iron level of organic grass fed beef and the supermarket product? If it is the same then the potential for harm may be the same.
Open User Options Menu

Tomislav

New York, USA

perrymk wrote:
Red meat isn't unhealthy. Green fuzzy meat, now that is unhealthy!

(I haven't eaten red meat in more than 30 years but really don't care if anyone else does)


Great point Perry, I was thinking the same thing. I generally avoid organic beef for that reason - it often looks just as you described while it's nonorganic counterpart looks relatively fresh and vital.

When they're side by side how could anyone want to buy the organic?
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

Of course it's unhealthy..in any amount. Meat contains saturated fat and cholesterol both of which are proven unhealthy. Logic alone is sufficient to arrive at the answer.

I've NEVER seen an study or the question asked "Is a carrot inherently unhealthy?"

Never, ever. That alone is verying telling.
Open User Options Menu

farhad

Massachusetts, USA

Red meat can be unhealthy, depends on where it is purchased from, its quality, and how often it is eaten. You cannot just make statements such as red meat is unhealthy, period. That is irrational. It's the same as smoking. One cannot say "Smoking is bad for you" or "smoking kills" That is just plain stupid. You can say, "long-term, chronic, and excessive smoking greatly increases one's chances of developing lung cancer, CVD, and other complications"

90% of the red meat I eat, is grass-fed/organic; same goes for milk.

Open User Options Menu

southbeach

farhad wrote:
Red meat can be unhealthy, depends on where it is purchased from, its quality, and how often it is eaten. You cannot just make statements such as red meat is unhealthy, period. That is irrational. It's the same as smoking. One cannot say "Smoking is bad for you" or "smoking kills" That is just plain stupid. You can say, "long-term, chronic, and excessive smoking greatly increases one's chances of developing lung cancer, CVD, and other complications"

90% of the red meat I eat, is grass-fed/organic; same goes for milk.



Smoking cause unhealthy physiological changes from the first puff. Accumulation of damage from chronic physiological insult further harms health in direct proportion to consumption, and does eventually kill.

This same argument I apply to meat, saturated fat and cholesterol consumption.

You are mixing "degree of harm" (but harm nonetheless) with clinical outcome. Much of the harm is "beneath the surface" of perception, and only when it reaches a certain level is the damage observed (and treated).

That's why I always say You feel good till you don't.
Open User Options Menu

farhad

Massachusetts, USA


http://health-report.co.uk/...th_benefits.htm

http://www.stop-trans-fat.com/...rt-disease.html

http://www.paleodietevolved.co...

http://www.stress-fat-heart-so...

http://www.newmediaexplorer.or...

http://suite101.com/...ted-fat-a131059
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

You can find websites to support any crazy notion you want...has no bearing on the true facts or scientific evidence.

http://science.howstuffworks.c...




Open User Options Menu

farhad

Massachusetts, USA

southbeach wrote:
You can find websites to support any crazy notion you want...has no bearing on the true facts or scientific evidence.

http://science.howstuffworks.c...

The point of that was to show that the whole cholesterol-sat fat theory is NOT set in stone.There are also many books written about this subject. Sometime the internet is the best way to get objective and unbiased information and not so-called studies. Perfect example is the "man-made global warming" fraud which has been exposed thoroughly by reputable and honest scientists whose work you can find only on the internet or books and not in the major media news stations or established scientific bodies.




Open User Options Menu

crazeeJZ

Not in moderation, as with many foods.
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

farhad wrote:
southbeach wrote:
You can find websites to support any crazy notion you want...has no bearing on the true facts or scientific evidence.

http://science.howstuffworks.c...

The point of that was to show that the whole cholesterol-sat fat theory is NOT set in stone.There are also many books written about this subject. Sometime the internet is the best way to get objective and unbiased information and not so-called studies. Perfect example is the "man-made global warming" fraud which has been exposed thoroughly by reputable and honest scientists whose work you can find only on the internet or books and not in the major media news stations or established scientific bodies.






For many no amount of evidence would convince them otherwise. Their mind's are "set in stone" as you say.

More than enough GOOD SOLID scientific evidence that sat fat/cholesterol contributes to CVD. All the details are still being worked out but the question of harm has been proven unequivocally. Walk up to any doctor and ask him. Thats the answer you'll get 100 out of 100 times.
Open User Options Menu

southbeach

crazeeJZ wrote:
Not in moderation, as with many foods.


Define: "moderation"? And tell us how you can tell where you exceed that vague "standard"?

Isn't a pack of smokes "moderation" to a 2 pack smoker?
Open User Options Menu

farhad

Massachusetts, USA

Southbeach,

To each his own. Looks like we will have to agree to disagree. It's not worth debating this anymore because it could drag on as long as the debate about RenEx.


Regards,
f
Open User Options Menu

Tony Williams

entsminger wrote:
==Scott==
Here comes Southbeach!!!


Yeah, we all miss him.

Anyone who doesn't love this post can gravitate to the revolving door known as "RenEx".

Tony
Open User Options Menu

Tony Williams

southbeach wrote:
Of course it's unhealthy..in any amount. Meat contains saturated fat and cholesterol both of which are proven unhealthy. Logic alone is sufficient to arrive at the answer.

I've NEVER seen an study or the question asked "Is a carrot inherently unhealthy?"

Never, ever. That alone is verying telling.


I think I read that if you ate too many carrots your skin will turn orange like Gerry the Hitman.

I admit I may have been wrong.

Tony
Open User Options Menu

Tony Williams

farhad wrote:
Southbeach,

To each his own. Looks like we will have to agree to disagree. It's not worth debating this anymore because it could drag on as long as the debate about RenEx.


Regards,
f



That's why I posted it.

It's healthy to obsess about something different now and then.

Tony
Open User Options Menu

Tony Williams

farhad wrote:
southbeach wrote:
You can find websites to support any crazy notion you want...has no bearing on the true facts or scientific evidence.

http://science.howstuffworks.c...

The point of that was to show that the whole cholesterol-sat fat theory is NOT set in stone.There are also many books written about this subject. Sometime the internet is the best way to get objective and unbiased information and not so-called studies. Perfect example is the "man-made global warming" fraud which has been exposed thoroughly by reputable and honest scientists whose work you can find only on the internet or books and not in the major media news stations or established scientific bodies.






Sometimes the Internet is the worst way.

Wikipedia is one example.

Tony
Open User Options Menu

overfiftylifter

Beef in past studies have demonstrated anabolic properties and this was demonstrated most recently in the more aged population. The less fatty cuts can help if one has a issue with certain types of fats. The issue may be the level of increased iron/heme levels, especially chronic exposure to higher levels if beef is consumed on a very frequent basis. High levels of iron/heme has been suggested as a risk factor in cardiovascular disease.
Open User Options Menu

Tony Williams

farhad wrote:
Southbeach,

To each his own. Looks like we will have to agree to disagree. It's not worth debating this anymore because it could drag on as long as the debate about RenEx.


Regards,
f


Are you serious?

Are you actually stating that the debate over RenEx is not exciting ... thrilling even?

Farhad, come on now.

Tony
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

I order red meat/steak (Sirloin or NY Strip) at a good restaurant about twice per month or so. I would do it more, but it gets pricey.
Open User Options Menu

Tony Williams

overfiftylifter wrote:
Beef in past studies have demonstrated anabolic properties and this was demonstrated most recently in the more aged population. The less fatty cuts can help if one has a issue with certain types of fats. The issue may be the level of increased iron/heme levels, especially chronic exposure to higher levels if beef is consumed on a very frequent basis. High levels of iron/heme has been suggested as a risk factor in cardiovascular disease.


Some of the anabolic properties may result from chemicals fed cattle to "beef" them up.

But who wants to eat vet meds ... although I admit I do now and then.

Maybe it would be healthier to eat squirrels, possums and cats.

Tony
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy