MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Talk the Talk & Walk the Walk
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Mr. Strong

AShortt wrote:
It is going to be fun and interesting so lets try to keep it that way.

I subscribe wholeheartedly to variation and avoiding just getting better at lifts. Josh as settled well into RenX and serious standardization.

Now I'm a lightweight and he is a heavy but I always thought he was a great power of example because he wasn't short or particularly heavily muscled. Josh is natural and the real deal so regardless of personalities his opinion on muscle building is very important.

The fun will be to see if either of us with our less than spectacular physiques have made improvement. Not huge changes because we aren't novice or drugged. But have our diametrically opposed training styles (but both abbreviated High Intensity)lead in the same direction...and if so what element do they both share which could stand out as very important to muscle building? The implications for the natural, the normal and the aging could be significant.

Regards,
Andrew




Your a lightweight and he's a heavyweight, shouldn't this tell us something?
Open User Options Menu

jitterbug

Brian Johnston wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
farhad wrote:
I wonder how Mr.Johnston can can explain how Mr.Trentine can produce gains without variations and fancy rep schemes.

Ed

What gains? I would have to see his photos as of late compared to what he produced before his FANCY $100k worth of equipment. How would Mr. Trentine (or you) explain my ability to produce changes and gains without investing all that time and money into manufacturing and using that equipment, while implementing basic free-weights, cable machines and other machines already in existence? Answer that, fancy pants.



Mr. Johnston,

Do you think that $100,000 is a lot of money to invest in your business? I actually think your estimate is way off.

I don't think RenEx was built for Mr.Trentine's "gains" but rather to train a wide range of people.

In the end Mr.Trentine is willing to subject himself and his "gains" to the scrutiny of the judges. This is something you will not be able to do.

The burden is on you not him, he is willing to put it all out there for everyone to see while you post cherry picked photos of body parts that are likely not very current.

Ed
Open User Options Menu

jitterbug

dipsrule wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
Brian Johnston wrote:
No idea what you're talking about Ed, but then again... I likely don't care.


Mr.Johnson,

You claim to be an expert but you don't know muscles produce force and a bigger muscle compared to it previous self can always produce more force?

Since this is the case the fact of the matter is that it takes a bigger muscle to move a massive weight assuming standardization of course. It is not the heavy weight that keeps your muscles from adapting it's your change in behavior as you learn to hoist more reps.

If you standardize reps like RenEx do they won't lie to you. The only reason you have failed with using heavier weights is because you change your form, lose range of motion, or speed up. An expert should know this.

And the bit about neuromuscular coordination and skill, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH is not a concern for the advanced athlete that coordination bit happens primarily to a newbie. A person like yourself who has trained 30 years can't blame their failure to gain from training hard and using heavy weights on skill. You are way beyond that point sir.

I think you avoid heavy weights because it is hard work.

Ed

Just an observation on being a member here for many years and not taking a side.

Brian has tried different methods and found methods that works well. He points out possible pitfalls with getting stronger and not bigger by just adding more weight on a set.

I find the argument that the reason for this is because ones form would break down by adding to much weight.Or not be willing to work hard to be pure bullshit.


Brian wrote books and keeps records to prove those results. Had success and gets his balls busted for it.

Some of us here have noticed the same thing in our own training from a standardized consolidated routines.

I think that one can reach a point where you may be as strong as your going to get.

Lets say one would work his way up to squat 500 pounds for reps. That may be as far as one could go.Your as strong as your going to get. At some point you cant just keep adding weight or micro loading to reach 700 pounds. Its an extreme example but its something to think about. If that was the case we would all be breaking world records.

Mr.Jitterbug Ed.

To support what your are saying maybe you should could STFU and train the way you are saying for 2 years. Keep records of your exercises,Weight increases in your exercises. Measure any increase or decrease in your legs or arms ect.

Then report back on your OWN findings.Maybe if you can train some people. Prove your theory.Show us how it works.

Its that simple. It does not require answering my post with a question or ignoring it all together. Or picking apart every word I say.

Maybe those standard routines may work for some. But to think thats the standard for everyone is just plain non sense.



Mr.dipsrule ,

I think you are just looking for some magic out there. I think the formula is actually very simple.

Have a nice day

Ed
Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

Brilliant response, Ed. Ignore the FACT that I'm making progress without using his equipment... that I did not have to invest any time or money into that, but merely my creative ability with tools that already existed. (Rather, you talk about business investment which has NOTHING to do with your own initial comments, lol).

And because I'm not standing in my undies in front of judges then I'm less of a person when it comes to bodybuilding knowledge or application? Huh? Since you have yet to even post a photo, you shouldn't even have the right to open your mouth about any of this, or are you going to compete as well?

In any case, the scrutiny is not for the judges on that particular competition day, Einstein... we will be comparing photos of what he accomplished in the past compared to what he looks like on that competition day. If there is improvement, then that would suggest his change in eating (the raw diet) along with his training application (or perhaps only one factor more than the other, we can't know for sure) has benefitted him. However, if he looks worse than what he did in the past, then either his diet or his training (or both) are not up to snuff. It's that simple, duh!

Seriously, and regardless of the petty and obvious envy of some of you toward myself, I wish him all the best and I hope he has made progress. I have nothing against him and there's more than one way to skin a cat with different methods and tools... all the power to him if he can produce change since undertaking his latest venture. Now, all of you go bust a nut trying to heave the heaviest loads possible while looking like crap.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

jitterbug wrote:
Brian Johnston wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
farhad wrote:
I wonder how Mr.Johnston can can explain how Mr.Trentine can produce gains without variations and fancy rep schemes.

Ed

What gains? I would have to see his photos as of late compared to what he produced before his FANCY $100k worth of equipment. How would Mr. Trentine (or you) explain my ability to produce changes and gains without investing all that time and money into manufacturing and using that equipment, while implementing basic free-weights, cable machines and other machines already in existence? Answer that, fancy pants.


Mr. Johnston,

Do you think that $100,000 is a lot of money to invest in your business? I actually think your estimate is way off.

I don't think RenEx was built for Mr.Trentine's "gains" but rather to train a wide range of people.

In the end Mr.Trentine is willing to subject himself and his "gains" to the scrutiny of the judges. This is something you will not be able to do.

The burden is on you not him, he is willing to put it all out there for everyone to see while you post cherry picked photos of body parts that are likely not very current.

Ed


When Josh used to post on this forum, he led one to believe Renx machines were the second coming and far superior to anything else out there. In fact, he regularly knocked any of form of other equipment. So, unless he displays a huge improvement from previously, it will be very telling. He painted himself into that corner for better or worse.
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

Brian Johnston wrote:
Because I don't want to communicate with you is proof that I have not reached my limit? Such illogical thinking merely supports why I choose not to communicate with someone so irrational, a liar, and person who has yet to post any photos of himself, but claims to do 10 sets of chins with huge weights around his waist... who can squat in perfect form from one rep to the next, but refuses to post a video demonstrating as much. When you start showing us what you can do or have done, then maybe others will follow. But in the meantime, I think some of you need to stick to what you know... trying to increase your lifting proficiency... while others will focus more on bodybuilding application. Two different things, don't 'cha know! OK, I guess you don't know... obviously.





Based on your dodging should we just call your claims to have reached your limit in strength BS?

Why make claims then act defensive and surprised when someone challenges those claims?
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
Brian Johnston wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
farhad wrote:
I wonder how Mr.Johnston can can explain how Mr.Trentine can produce gains without variations and fancy rep schemes.

Ed

What gains? I would have to see his photos as of late compared to what he produced before his FANCY $100k worth of equipment. How would Mr. Trentine (or you) explain my ability to produce changes and gains without investing all that time and money into manufacturing and using that equipment, while implementing basic free-weights, cable machines and other machines already in existence? Answer that, fancy pants.


Mr. Johnston,

Do you think that $100,000 is a lot of money to invest in your business? I actually think your estimate is way off.

I don't think RenEx was built for Mr.Trentine's "gains" but rather to train a wide range of people.

In the end Mr.Trentine is willing to subject himself and his "gains" to the scrutiny of the judges. This is something you will not be able to do.

The burden is on you not him, he is willing to put it all out there for everyone to see while you post cherry picked photos of body parts that are likely not very current.

Ed

When Josh used to post on this forum, he led one to believe Renx machines were the second coming and far superior to anything else out there. In fact, he regularly knocked any of form of other equipment. So, unless he displays a huge improvement from previously, it will be very telling. He painted himself into that corner for better or worse.




And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?
Open User Options Menu

AShortt

Ontario, CAN

Mr. Strong wrote:
AShortt wrote:
It is going to be fun and interesting so lets try to keep it that way.

I subscribe wholeheartedly to variation and avoiding just getting better at lifts. Josh as settled well into RenX and serious standardization.

Now I'm a lightweight and he is a heavy but I always thought he was a great power of example because he wasn't short or particularly heavily muscled. Josh is natural and the real deal so regardless of personalities his opinion on muscle building is very important.

The fun will be to see if either of us with our less than spectacular physiques have made improvement. Not huge changes because we aren't novice or drugged. But have our diametrically opposed training styles (but both abbreviated High Intensity)lead in the same direction...and if so what element do they both share which could stand out as very important to muscle building? The implications for the natural, the normal and the aging could be significant.

Regards,
Andrew



Your a lightweight and he's a heavyweight, shouldn't this tell us something?


Yes...Josh is a heavyweight and I am a lightweight...Read slowly and repeat.
Open User Options Menu

jitterbug

Brian Johnston wrote:
Brilliant response, Ed. Ignore the FACT that I'm making progress without using his equipment... that I did not have to invest any time or money into that, but merely my creative ability with tools that already existed. (Rather, you talk about business investment which has NOTHING to do with your own initial comments, lol).

And because I'm not standing in my undies in front of judges then I'm less of a person when it comes to bodybuilding knowledge or application? Huh? Since you have yet to even post a photo, you shouldn't even have the right to open your mouth about any of this, or are you going to compete as well?

In any case, the scrutiny is not for the judges on that particular competition day, Einstein... we will be comparing photos of what he accomplished in the past compared to what he looks like on that competition day. If there is improvement, then that would suggest his change in eating (the raw diet) along with his training application (or perhaps only one factor more than the other, we can't know for sure) has benefitted him. However, if he looks worse than what he did in the past, then either his diet or his training (or both) are not up to snuff. It's that simple, duh!

Seriously, and regardless of the petty and obvious envy of some of you toward myself, I wish him all the best and I hope he has made progress. I have nothing against him and there's more than one way to skin a cat with different methods and tools... all the power to him if he can produce change since undertaking his latest venture. Now, all of you go bust a nut trying to heave the heaviest loads possible while looking like crap.



Mr. Johnston,

This post actually makes sense to me and I agree with just about all of it. The part that I cannot agree with is the argument that J-Reps are better because they are cheaper and took less effort to develop. The cheapest thing would be to just buy a membership and lift or do push ups in your living room.

Ed
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Mr. Strong wrote:


And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?


lol

You're a moron, seriously.
Open User Options Menu

jitterbug

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:


And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?

lol

You're a moron, seriously.


Mr. HeavyHitter32,

I noticed most of you guys avoid the hard questions.

Ed
Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:


And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?

lol

You're a moron, seriously.






So one group claiming something is superior is bad, but another group claiming something is superior is good? Does it just depend on who you agree with?
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Mr. Strong wrote:
Turpin wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:
Turpin wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:
Turpin wrote:
I believe there is indeed correlation between resistance used and muscle size , BUT upon reaching ones limitations in strength ( which doesn't take long ) there are far more variables that are necessary to realise ongoing hypertrophy and not necessarily involving adding pounds on the bar.

T.


Increasing load is not the only way to build muscle, I don't think anyone has suggested such.

What has been suggested is that increasing load, without altering the exercise to allow for more weight/reps, will build muscle.

I haven't seen anyone on this board who has reached their limitation in strength. It takes a long time to reach ones limitation in strength. Saying it doesn't take long is untrue.

On a personal level Mr S. in my first year or so powerlifting I was close to the poundage's that I finished with , adding only relatively small increments each year ( it didn't take long to reach this level ) ... and thereafter it was only meticulous preparation ( mentally / physically ) that kept me there for competition. That WAS the upper limits of my strength.

To-date I use much less resistance but in a manner that realises as near optimal ( as I believe it ) MU activation and subsequent fatigue. YES , I still try to realise ongoing progress by increments in resistance when I feel I have `adapted` , BUT only when I feel the volume ( sets ) has become excessive.

ie; if I previously performed 5 x8 reps on an exercise with a certain resistance then I would prefer to add a 6th set ( perhaps 6 x7 reps = 42 reps x 2 more than my previous 40 overall reps until I eventually adapted to 6 x8 ) than add further resistance.

I agree with your analogy in respect of chins , BUT I have yet to see anyone realise linear progress using simple resistance increase without cycling the intensity ( effort ) and even when linear progress was achievable ( short term ) that progress is seldom matched with discernible muscular increase ( short term ).

T.




Would that not be considered your limit in the Deadlift within the context of that sports requirements, and not necessarily the limit of your strength?

I think ( in all honesty ) it was the limit of my strength Mr S.
I tried increasing bodyweight for a prolonged period in order to eek out any more in the lift but ( as I reported in another thread ) we each have our optimal bodyweight that realises our `best` , mine was just over the 75kg limit and pound for pound in competition ( using the shwartz fornula ) was around 72kg.

T.



To reach your limit in strength would mean that every muscle in your body was as strong as it could possibly be, literally no room for any improvement.

Not been able to add weight to your 1RM in the Deadlift does not mean that your muscles were as strong as they could be.


I disagree ... and for what little I perhaps could have eeked out over the years would not have equated to much by way of muscle gain , BUT by utilising less resistance and performing more work ( more volume ) the resistance used becomes less important , & cumulative workload/fatigue becomes the musclebuilding / adaptive factor.

T.

Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

Mr. Strong... I can make claims about my training because I know my training... unlike your ignorant suggestions. This is utterly stupid... you claim I'm full of BS because I say I can't get any stronger. I'm not suggesting I can one day squat 1000 pounds... I'm not suggesting that I'll keep getting stronger until my 60th birthday (I'm nearing 5-0 and have been training longer than you've been alive, high school boy). Rather, I'm claiming my OWN LIMITATIONS and you are saying I'm greater than what I have achieved. I guess you're in my corner, coach!

Ed, it would be cheaper (do you mean less expensive since the term 'cheap' refers to quality?) just to do pushups in one's house, but who is claiming that is AS EFFECTIVE as to what I'm doing or what Josh is doing? Isn't it super clear even to a retarded goat that what we're comparing is the ability to make progress without 10k RenEx machines vs. using the machines? At least that's what I'm talking about, whereas you're going on about doing pushups in one's living room. Duh!

I can't take you people any more... don't bother posting to me on this thread (again, it's destroyed with nonsense) as I won't be here to read it. Better yet, pretend I don't exist because some of you are nothing more than time vampires... unable to write a simple article on exercise, yet claiming to be experts, lol. Best wishes in training to those who ACTUALLY train.

Open User Options Menu

dipsrule

Pennsylvania, USA

jitterbug wrote:
dipsrule wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
Brian Johnston wrote:
No idea what you're talking about Ed, but then again... I likely don't care.


Mr.Johnson,

You claim to be an expert but you don't know muscles produce force and a bigger muscle compared to it previous self can always produce more force?

Since this is the case the fact of the matter is that it takes a bigger muscle to move a massive weight assuming standardization of course. It is not the heavy weight that keeps your muscles from adapting it's your change in behavior as you learn to hoist more reps.

If you standardize reps like RenEx do they won't lie to you. The only reason you have failed with using heavier weights is because you change your form, lose range of motion, or speed up. An expert should know this.

And the bit about neuromuscular coordination and skill, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH is not a concern for the advanced athlete that coordination bit happens primarily to a newbie. A person like yourself who has trained 30 years can't blame their failure to gain from training hard and using heavy weights on skill. You are way beyond that point sir.

I think you avoid heavy weights because it is hard work.

Ed

Just an observation on being a member here for many years and not taking a side.

Brian has tried different methods and found methods that works well. He points out possible pitfalls with getting stronger and not bigger by just adding more weight on a set.

I find the argument that the reason for this is because ones form would break down by adding to much weight.Or not be willing to work hard to be pure bullshit.


Brian wrote books and keeps records to prove those results. Had success and gets his balls busted for it.

Some of us here have noticed the same thing in our own training from a standardized consolidated routines.

I think that one can reach a point where you may be as strong as your going to get.

Lets say one would work his way up to squat 500 pounds for reps. That may be as far as one could go.Your as strong as your going to get. At some point you cant just keep adding weight or micro loading to reach 700 pounds. Its an extreme example but its something to think about. If that was the case we would all be breaking world records.

Mr.Jitterbug Ed.

To support what your are saying maybe you should could STFU and train the way you are saying for 2 years. Keep records of your exercises,Weight increases in your exercises. Measure any increase or decrease in your legs or arms ect.

Then report back on your OWN findings.Maybe if you can train some people. Prove your theory.Show us how it works.

Its that simple. It does not require answering my post with a question or ignoring it all together. Or picking apart every word I say.

Maybe those standard routines may work for some. But to think thats the standard for everyone is just plain non sense.


Mr.dipsrule ,

I think you are just looking for some magic out there. I think the formula is actually very simple.

Have a nice day

Ed


Magic,or how about voodoo? Nice reply.You dont have an answer.

Your the one Looking for the magic. Not me.
Dont be a sheeple. Thats a word I made up. sheep and people

So why dont you prove some of us wrong and do what you do for two years? Take before and after pictures as well as measurements. Find out for yourself.

Find a RenEx poster boy and follow him her or her progress and results for a year or two.

Im sure you will have some excuse.

I dont care what you do.

I like short fullbody routines myself. Ive done them for years. But ive never said thats the best way or only valid way to train. It fit my needs at the time and thats how I wanted to train. It worked well for me. I enjoyed it.

A caned routine may not work the same for everyone.

I became disabled and I cant train.But I still like to come here and check out whats going on.

But im not naive to look at the big picture. There are many ways to train and get results.

RenEx has it merits.Buts its not for everyone. Its not the end all be all.

I think alot of us weather we believe or not in what RenEx is about, Be it Josh,Jittery Ed. Hutchins speaking about it they come off to others like they are looking down their nose at others.

Thats in part of what sets people off. I dont know and have never talked with Josh or Hutchins. Maybe they think they are better or are better. If they are or not there may be a better ways of promoting themselves.
Open User Options Menu

jitterbug

Brian Johnston wrote:
Mr. Strong... I can make claims about my training because I know my training... unlike your ignorant suggestions. This is utterly stupid... you claim I'm full of BS because I say I can't get any stronger. I'm not suggesting I can one day squat 1000 pounds... I'm not suggesting that I'll keep getting stronger until my 60th birthday (I'm nearing 5-0 and have been training longer than you've been alive, high school boy). Rather, I'm claiming my OWN LIMITATIONS and you are saying I'm greater than what I have achieved. I guess you're in my corner, coach!

Ed, it would be cheaper (do you mean less expensive since the term 'cheap' refers to quality?) just to do pushups in one's house, but who is claiming that is AS EFFECTIVE as to what I'm doing or what Josh is doing? Isn't it super clear even to a retarded goat that what we're comparing is the ability to make progress without 10k RenEx machines vs. using the machines? At least that's what I'm talking about, whereas you're going on about doing pushups in one's living room. Duh!

I can't take you people any more... don't bother posting to me on this thread (again, it's destroyed with nonsense) as I won't be here to read it. Better yet, pretend I don't exist because some of you are nothing more than time vampires... unable to write a simple article on exercise, yet claiming to be experts, lol. Best wishes in training to those who ACTUALLY train.




Mr.Johnston,

You shouldn't run away when the questions get hard.

Ed
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

jitterbug wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:


And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?

lol

You're a moron, seriously.

Mr. HeavyHitter32,

I noticed most of you guys avoid the hard questions.

Ed


Maybe we avoid the stupid and/or irrelevant questions you and a couple of others ask. You lack a lot of common sense to put it mildly.
Open User Options Menu

AShortt

Ontario, CAN

I think what I am doing is best for me...that's why I'm doing it lol.

Regards,
Andrew
Open User Options Menu

jitterbug

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:


And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?

lol

You're a moron, seriously.

Mr. HeavyHitter32,

I noticed most of you guys avoid the hard questions.

Ed

Maybe we avoid the stupid and/or irrelevant questions you and a couple of others ask. You lack a lot of common sense to put it mildly.



Mr. HeavyHitter32,

Since you like to jump in I'll let you explain how variation on top of variation is required when many have progressed by using just a few basic exercises. I know a number of excellent bodybuilders that only use basic full range reps. How is it that Mr.Trentine only uses Leg Press and Leg Extension done at the same speed and range of motion to develop his thighs? If Mr.Johnston is correct how do you resolve this?

Ed
Open User Options Menu

farhad

Massachusetts, USA

Mr.Ed,

Since you like to always quote Dr. Darden from 20 years ago regarding Super Slow, I will quote Josh from 2006 in BDJ and Andrew's book, 'Z3', page 42. ready? Here we go:

"The Zone training books have opened up a whole new existence, for a bodybuilder who has gone stale trying to move more weight for more time.

"How much more weight do I really have to put on the darn machine to continue to make gains? The poundages are getting ridiculous and the continued improvements with regard to muscle mass are not proportional anymore.The interesting thing is that I use a lot of vintage nautilus machines in my training and I've always used them
in what I call a ?special way;? I do this as a show draws near. During that time I'm less and less concerned
about purely load-based progression (left more for the ?off-season?), whereas my training gets more
instinctual and feel-oriented. I developed this idea after reading that old-time bodybuilders did a lot of
"muscle spinning" (short-range pulses in the contracted position only) prior to a show. I combined this
spinning on movements that felt best in the contracted position with movements that felt better in other positions. And it feels fabulous when you have all of the vintage nautilus machines to bounce around."

"Anyway? the Zone Training explanations and techniques have really opened up my training and taken my ?special? use of Nautilus to a whole new place. I'm currently experimenting with Zone training at my Overload studios. Thank you for your contributions and relentless efforts to make continued gains.?
Open User Options Menu

jitterbug

farhad wrote:
Mr.Ed,

Since you like to always quote Dr. Darden from 20 years ago regarding Super Slow, I will quote Josh from 2006 in BDJ and Andrew's book, 'Z3', page 42. ready? Here we go:

"The Zone training books have opened up a whole new existence, for a bodybuilder who has gone stale trying to move more weight for more time.

"How much more weight do I really have to put on the darn machine to continue to make gains? The poundages are getting ridiculous and the continued improvements with regard to muscle mass are not proportional anymore.The interesting thing is that I use a lot of vintage nautilus machines in my training and I've always used them
in what I call a ?special way;? I do this as a show draws near. During that time I'm less and less concerned
about purely load-based progression (left more for the ?off-season?), whereas my training gets more
instinctual and feel-oriented. I developed this idea after reading that old-time bodybuilders did a lot of
"muscle spinning" (short-range pulses in the contracted position only) prior to a show. I combined this
spinning on movements that felt best in the contracted position with movements that felt better in other positions. And it feels fabulous when you have all of the vintage nautilus machines to bounce around."

"Anyway? the Zone Training explanations and techniques have really opened up my training and taken my ?special? use of Nautilus to a whole new place. I'm currently experimenting with Zone training at my Overload studios. Thank you for your contributions and relentless efforts to make continued gains.?



Mr.farhad,

I'm reading that he used J-Reps as a work around when using Nautilus machines that have backwards cams and high friction.

He said he does muscle spinning before a show and uses more load based training in the off season.

It sounds like he enjoyed Mr.Johnston's explanations.

He goes onto to say that "I'm currently experimenting with Zone training at my Overload studios. Thank you for your contributions and relentless efforts to make continued gains"

Apparently it never got passed the experimental stages. I believe this gives Mr.Trentine more insight and credibility.

Ed
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

jitterbug wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:


And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?

lol

You're a moron, seriously.

Mr. HeavyHitter32,

I noticed most of you guys avoid the hard questions.

Ed

Maybe we avoid the stupid and/or irrelevant questions you and a couple of others ask. You lack a lot of common sense to put it mildly.


Mr. HeavyHitter32,

Since you like to jump in I'll let you explain how variation on top of variation is required when many have progressed by using just a few basic exercises. I know a number of excellent bodybuilders that only use basic full range reps. How is it that Mr.Trentine only uses Leg Press and Leg Extension done at the same speed and range of motion to develop his thighs? If Mr.Johnston is correct how do you resolve this?

Ed


Considering Trentines legs are poorly developed , perhaps his exercise choice and method is not optimal.

T.

Open User Options Menu

Mr. Strong

Turpin wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:

To reach your limit in strength would mean that every muscle in your body was as strong as it could possibly be, literally no room for any improvement.

Not been able to add weight to your 1RM in the Deadlift does not mean that your muscles were as strong as they could be.

I disagree ... and for what little I perhaps could have eeked out over the years would not have equated to much by way of muscle gain , BUT by utilising less resistance and performing more work ( more volume ) the resistance used becomes less important , & cumulative workload/fatigue becomes the musclebuilding / adaptive factor.

T.



Greater training volume generally requires less load be used. Very low volume and frequency probably isn't ideal for physique development. Your issue of not seeing much size gain is more likely a program design problem, which you seem to have corrected as of late.
Open User Options Menu

AShortt

Ontario, CAN

jitterbug wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
jitterbug wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:


And there are posters on here who claim their training is superior to any other method, but your okay with that?

lol

You're a moron, seriously.

Mr. HeavyHitter32,

I noticed most of you guys avoid the hard questions.

Ed

Maybe we avoid the stupid and/or irrelevant questions you and a couple of others ask. You lack a lot of common sense to put it mildly.


Mr. HeavyHitter32,

Since you like to jump in I'll let you explain how variation on top of variation is required when many have progressed by using just a few basic exercises. I know a number of excellent bodybuilders that only use basic full range reps. How is it that Mr.Trentine only uses Leg Press and Leg Extension done at the same speed and range of motion to develop his thighs? If Mr.Johnston is correct how do you resolve this?

Ed


The fun thing that makes this all so interesting is...finding what may bring new gains to a practically maxed out natural lifter. That was the fun of getting into JReps for me. I pushed for the book and I pushed to co-write the trilogy. There was no money in it, way too niche a market. The point was...is there a way to push the limits further naturally or are the mainstream guys right and drugs are the only answer?

The HIT community was negative pretty much across the board. They were convinced BDJ was selling out or some such thing. As a result Brian and I and a few folks who continued forward with Zone Training made slow but steady gains. And from what we have seen of the naysayers...well they have either drifted away back to volume or continued HIT power lifting with zero progress.

I appreciate that Josh has been making huge investments in pushing the limits forward. Moreover, I appreciate that he is willing to strip off the cover of fat and cherry picked photo's to produce the goods. I mean I personally never had any real business in competitive bodybuilding. Fact is I knew my approach could and would slowly keep progress in motion. I have always been willing to expose this even though it makes me look bad when compared to those who excel at the sport. I just wanted to show that all that really matters is personal progress...nothing...absolutely nothing else is proof. You cannot compare Josh to Mentzer and say "see HD works RenX doesn't.

You have to get lean...real lean to actually see if new muscle has been built. Nobody comp device and no lifting numbers are accurate past the novice stage.

Regards,
Andrew
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Brian Johnston wrote:
I know how to chin... but thanks for the advice.


farhad wrote:
And if you do not know how to squat, Tomislav will glad to provide some helpful guidance.


At least for the top 3 inches. After that, you're on your own.
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy