MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
My Experience Lately
Author
Rating
Options

cmg

Hello All,

I've done most everything in my training over the 33 years of working out. From high volume 6 day/week to consolidated training every 2 weeks.

Over the past 3-4 months I've taken more of a "feel" the exercise approach based a lot on reading Brian's writing. I've lightened the loads, paid more attention to loading the muscle and not off loading/roading. It's actually amazing to me to see how little I can handle when I do my best to isolate and just move the weight without momentum and squeeze. I've added WAY more variety (1.25 reps, 1/2 reps - 3rd reps) and "freestyle". May go up to 3 sets of an exercise (doing a set then another for apposing area..). Mix up exercises etc.

My arm was down in size around Sept to a low just slightly larger than 17". Just measured today (same as usual - morning after wake up) and is just shy 17.75". I can see legs, back, chest everything is more full.

I do only full body workouts still every 3-5 days. Sets are between 12-18.

Sets are mixture of TF and NTF. We'll see what transpires...

Regards,

Ron
Open User Options Menu

AShortt

Ontario, CAN

Great Sir, experiment away. If we are going to lift for life why wouldn't we experiment? Mix in some super heavy isometrics in short bursts and statics at varied points in the ROM. Take different ROM's for say three exercises (for the same muscle) and mix them together for one new set. Bottom of this, top of that then middle of another. Do them in succession and you have a new exercise...have fun.

Regards,
Andrew
Open User Options Menu

cmg

AShortt wrote:
Great Sir, experiment away. If we are going to lift for life why wouldn't we experiment? Mix in some super heavy isometrics in short bursts and statics at varied points in the ROM. Take different ROM's for say three exercises (for the same muscle) and mix them together for one new set. Bottom of this, top of that then middle of another. Do them in succession and you have a new exercise...have fun.

Regards,
Andrew



Thanks Andrew. YOu and Brian have been very helpful. I knew there was a problem (for me) with just loading up the weights. I was doing it but was also losing muscle and shape. Had people ask if I've stopped working out. The more weight - the less I felt in the muscle.

Now gaining again and enjoying it! No workout lasts more than 35-40 minutes max. Just worked out yesterday (35 minutes) total sets 14 full body. Biceps & chest too sore - legs, tris and back feel a little sore (fatigued). I emphasize certain muscles during the workout but train all.

Best wishes,

Ron

Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Good post Ron , like you I like to experiment and come to my own conclusions.
Lately ( as most are aware ) I returned to heavy / progressive powerlifting , after 16 weeks I've noted that progressive / heavy resistance at low reps ( but high volume ) has realised a thicker ( more dense ) look to my upperbody musculature , BUT my legs subsequently dropped in muscularity.
I am now embarking on a mix n match set/rep and exercise choice protocol ( no rigid 3 powerlifts ) with heavy low rep upperbody work and high rep targeted muscle training for the lowerbody.

T.
Open User Options Menu

hdlifter

Sounds promising cmg. I look forward to seeing where your experiment takes you.

More power to you!
Open User Options Menu

cmg

Turpin wrote:
Good post Ron , like you I like to experiment and come to my own conclusions.
Lately ( as most are aware ) I returned to heavy / progressive powerlifting , after 16 weeks I've noted that progressive / heavy resistance at low reps ( but high volume ) has realised a much thicker ( more dense ) look to my upperbody musculature , BUT my legs subsequently dropped in muscularity.
I am now embarking on a mix n match set/rep and exercise choice protocol ( no rigid 3 powerlifts ) with heavy low rep upperbody work and high rep targeted muscle training for the lowerbody.

T.



Yes Turpin - you mixing it up and showed us all - still low volume/time spent in the gym yields BIG time results!!

Thank you and I look forward to all your new posts!

I'm doing things a little differently but still changing things around...

Regards,

Ron
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

cmg wrote:
...I knew there was a problem (for me) with just loading up the weights. I was doing it but was also losing muscle and shape. Had people ask if I've stopped working out. The more weight - the less I felt in the muscle...


Good for you, Ron. I'm surprised the usual suspects haven't turned-up to interrogate you, and try to expose how you were wrong about your own body.

I'll 3rd (4th?) the motion about mixing it up and going for the fullness.

Double good on you, for maintaining the full-body paradigm, with rotating emphasis. Great Minds and all that...

Best Regards,
Scott
Open User Options Menu

cmg

simon-hecubus wrote:
cmg wrote:
...I knew there was a problem (for me) with just loading up the weights. I was doing it but was also losing muscle and shape. Had people ask if I've stopped working out. The more weight - the less I felt in the muscle...

Good for you, Ron. I'm surprised the usual suspects haven't turned-up to interrogate you, and try to expose how you were wrong about your own body.

I'll 3rd (4th?) the motion about mixing it up and going for the fullness.

Double good on you, for maintaining the full-body paradigm, with rotating emphasis. Great Minds and all that...

Best Regards,
Scott


Thank you Scott. Yes we will see how it goes but I certainly enjoy it more and still work hard! For me full body is the only way to go - Old School - & if I can't make it in for another 5-7 days I've worked on everything. ALSO - I still do believe everything is worked when splitting = everything effects other parts so full body makes total sense.

Good luck with training!

Regards,

Ron
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

I've done very well with full body routines in the past and have considered giving them a go again as it's been a long time.

Perhaps there is something anabolic (hormonal?) about full body workouts and no doubt it can aid recovery when done properly as you get enough rest days BUT you still get in sufficient frequency as I suspect a number of people do better training a muscle every 3-5 days or so (and there is some research to back this up).
Open User Options Menu

cmg

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
I've done very well with full body routines in the past and have considered giving them a go again as it's been a long time.

Perhaps there is something anabolic (hormonal?) about full body workouts and no doubt it can aid recovery when done properly as you get enough rest days BUT you still get in sufficient frequency as I suspect a number of people do better training a muscle every 3-5 days or so (and there is some research to back this up).


If it was good enough for Reeves and other old school phyiques - it's good enough for me!

Ron
Open User Options Menu

davise

Second the lower body thing. I can build good size and muscularity on lower reps on upper body work.

The most muscular my legs ever got was when I got serious about mountain biking. Squats alone didn't do as much for me.
Open User Options Menu
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy