MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
I Bought Dr Darden's Book, The Body Fat Breakthrough
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

BennyAnthonyOfKC

Missouri, USA

As soon as the Kindle version of Dr. Darden's book was made available on the Amazon.com website early this morning, I purchased it, and I began reading & skimming as fast as I could. What impressed me most are not only the results of the subjects that Dr. Darden reported in his latest book, but the variety of the subjects from very average type folk to former competitive athletes past middle-age to youths, as well as variety in their ethnicities.

Another aspect of Dr. Darden's book that has me intrigued are exercises with practical setup information to correspond with some of the new twists that Dr. Darden has developed for negative-accentuated repetitions, which is a generalization on my part due to Dr. Darden has several repetition-schemes for not only different exercises, but for different levels of advancement in the trainees, in the sense if they are a beginner or more seasoned.

Moreover, Dr. Darden has devised some very detailed rules for some simple exercises as testing to assess just how advanced a trainee truly is.

Needless to say, perhaps, I highly recommend everyone purchase Dr. Darden's latest book, which I offer this metaphor to any naysayers... just because you think you have read every permutation of what Dr. Darden could possibly suggest, even paintings that are centuries old have new things discovered in the 2000s
Open User Options Menu

BennyAnthonyOfKC

Missouri, USA

The attached photo is not one the best results (in terms of total amount of fat lost) obtained by one of the many subjects that Dr. Darden supervised, although aesthetically this person to me is among the best of all the subjects due to his skin tightening that some experts claim is not possible through diet & exercise, that to me is obvious that such experts don't understand the importance of building muscle during diets intended for shrinkage of body-fat. Of course, some people are more blessed in the elasticity of their skin, genetically, than others to allow for a pleasing return to their old selves.

Dr. Darden wrote of this person in his book: "Clifton Powell, 26, started the Breakthrough program at a height of 5 feet 10 inches and a weight of 208.5 pounds. After 6 weeks, he lost 24.28. pounds of fat and 5 inches off his waist. He also built 10.53 pounds of muscle, which helped him shrink some of his loose skin."
Open User Options Menu

BennyAnthonyOfKC

Missouri, USA

This is the last photo that I wanted to bring attention from Dr. Darden's book that was released today..... while this photo might've been included simply for purposes of demonstration, I applaud the angle of the seat on this particular leg-extension due to my belief (based on experience) the part of the quadriceps closest to the knee-cap is emphasized more than machines that have the seat reclined to the point that the quadriceps going into the hips are fully activated.

Nevertheless, it did occur to me (without going into great length) that the need to alternate between the two angles of the seat might be more necessary for trainees that have longer bones of the upper-leg.

QUESTION FOR DR. DARDEN: Among all your subjects, have you observed anything to confirm, or deny, my belief?

Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Benny,

I think your reasoning is correct on the leg extension. And thanks for plugging my new book.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

highheavy

Tennessee, USA

I just bought mine - kindle version.

I'm looking forward to reading this from a REAL authority in strength training and nutrition - can't wait!
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Benny,

Why don't you post a review of the book on Amazon? Some action over there is needed. Thanks.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

BennyAnthonyOfKC wrote:
This is the last photo that I wanted to bring attention from Dr. Darden's book that was released today..... while this photo might've been included simply for purposes of demonstration, I applaud the angle of the seat on this particular leg-extension due to my belief (based on experience) the part of the quadriceps closest to the knee-cap is emphasized more than machines that have the seat reclined to the point that the quadriceps going into the hips are fully activated.



Benny, if I can expand a bit on this, because I think the biomechanics supports what you say here. The more open angle LX allows the rectis femoris to avoid insufficiency, which means the RF overpowers the smaller vastus medialis. The more acute angle shifts the pelvis towards the knee, allowing the RF to shorten into insufficiency and leaving the VMO to complete the rep.

Physical therapists are particularly aware of this, as they try to use Terminal Knee Extension to isolate out the RF, with limited results if they don't actually isolate out the RF.
Open User Options Menu

BennyAnthonyOfKC

Missouri, USA

Ellington Darden wrote:
Benny,

Why don't you post a review of the book on Amazon? Some action over there is needed. Thanks.

Ellington



Dr. Darden, I was more than happy to write an appraisal of your book, which Amazon is currently reviewing for publication that should be posted within 24-hours from now. My praise of your book is certainly well-deserved, especially considering the lifetime of devotion you've given to the study of fitness.


********************

Bill De Simone, it's always terrific to hear from you. What was behind my views on the seats of machines for leg-extension stemmed from years of not making the connection that I had better results on machines with less recline, since several sources that I read through the years endorsed more recline, and by the simple fact that most designs have for years favored more recline. Anyway, thank you for taking time to respond to me, Bill. :)
Open User Options Menu

Greg Roseman

Virginia, USA

Dr. Darden,

I've followed your works since 1982, and have many of your books....This is your best book yet....

Thanks

Greg
Open User Options Menu

bulletin#1

Just ordered.

My favorite book from Dr. Darden so far is Living Longer Stronger.

Im looking forward to this new book.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Benny,

What happened to your review on Amazon?

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

dipsrule

Pennsylvania, USA

Dr.Darden,

I bought the book and had my first workout yesterday. Some of the exercises I hit it on the head with the weights I used. The rest I will get correct the next time.

What do you think of using pre-exaustion supersets after a few weeks such as pullover/pulldowns? Or do you think that is too much?

Im using the pullover and the bb curl now and in weeks five and six I was think about trying some supersets,rotating body parts every workout for a few weeks.Maybe training once a week at this point.

Then going back to five or six exercises when your start up again for your next six weeks.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

dipsrule wrote:
Dr.Darden,

I bought the book and had my first workout yesterday. Some of the exercises I hit it on the head with the weights I used. The rest I will get correct the next time.

What do you think of using pre-exaustion supersets after a few weeks such as pullover/pulldowns? Or do you think that is too much?

Im using the pullover and the bb curl now and in weeks five and six I was think about trying some supersets,rotating body parts every workout for a few weeks.Maybe training once a week at this point.

Then going back to five or six exercises when your start up again for your next six weeks.


Yes, these are great ways to extend and apply the concepts. I'm all for them.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

Greg Roseman

Virginia, USA

Bought the book about 10 days ago and have incorporated negatives and the 30-30-30 protocol.

Today's workout:

lowback, negative chest press, 6 reps, 15 secs ea, negative compound row 6 reps, 15 secs ea, leg press, 30-30-30, front grip pulldown, 30-30-30, shoulder press, 30-30-30, negative leg press, 6 reps, 15 secs ea.....workout time 18 minutes.
Open User Options Menu

dipsrule

Pennsylvania, USA

Ellington Darden wrote:
dipsrule wrote:
Dr.Darden,

I bought the book and had my first workout yesterday. Some of the exercises I hit it on the head with the weights I used. The rest I will get correct the next time.

What do you think of using pre-exaustion supersets after a few weeks such as pullover/pulldowns? Or do you think that is too much?

Im using the pullover and the bb curl now and in weeks five and six I was think about trying some supersets,rotating body parts every workout for a few weeks.Maybe training once a week at this point.

Then going back to five or six exercises when your start up again for your next six weeks.

Yes, these are great ways to extend and apply the concepts. I'm all for them.

Ellington



Thanks for your reply Dr.Darden.

For the times any of us do not have someone to help put you through the workout. I found a watch/timer called the gym boss. Just google it,they cost 20 bucks.

You can set it to beep and or vibrate. You can set it to beep from every 2 seconds up to 99 seconds.

I set mine to beep/vibrate every 10 seconds to help guide me through each phase of a rep.

Open User Options Menu

highheavy

Tennessee, USA

Really enjoying the book! So much so, I've decided to pick up the hard copy as well. I like the kindle, but there's something about having the actual book that appeals to me.

When I was in Books A Million, I observed a couple of people reading your book. They had 6 copies on the shelf - they'll probably be gone soon. Awesome book.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

highheavy,

This is the hardcover edition that Rodale has published that is special. It has an extra 16 pages on big arms and has a laminated cover. Go to www.bodyfatbreakthrough.com and have a look.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

JohnnyD

Dr. Darden,

Hello there. I just went online to get your book, but I think I am still confused. Does the hardcopy available on Amazon or in other places have the extra section on arms? Or is it in just the one you referred to? Also, how can I tell if the hardcopy I am looking at has this extra section? Thank you.

JohnnyD
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

JohnnyD wrote:
Dr. Darden,

Hello there. I just went online to get your book, but I think I am still confused. Does the hardcopy available on Amazon or in other places have the extra section on arms? Or is it in just the one you referred to? Also, how can I tell if the hardcopy I am looking at has this extra section? Thank you.

JohnnyD


Only the www.bodyfatbreakthrough.com site has the extra 16 pages, which is the big arms material.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

highheavy

Tennessee, USA

Ellington Darden wrote:
highheavy,

This is the hardcover edition that Rodale has published that is special. It has an extra 16 pages on big arms and has a laminated cover. Go to www.bodyfatbreakthrough.com and have a look.

Ellington


_________________________________

Thanks Dr. Darden. You saved me a trip to the bookstore - just purchased from www.bodyfatbreakthrough.com , free shipping is a good thing! I'm looking forward to the extras. The muscle meals is an interesting read so far.

Open User Options Menu

hdlifter

Ell's new book arrived yesterday. As expected, it was a great read! His research was as thorough as possible. Like his mentor, he isn't satisfied leaving his ideas to guesswork. His new outlook is well thought out, tested and perfected over time.

I have a majority of Ell's books, dating back to his small booklets he originally published. Along with Mike's books, they make up the backbone of my vast collection.
Open User Options Menu

valmj107

Hello Dr. Darden,

I just finished reading you book and am very excited to begin the program. My husband has committed to doing it with me, but he is concerned since he is a cyclist and has fall races coming up. He is worried about his endurance decreasing if he can't ride his bike for 6 weeks. So he thinks that he should just be able to increase his calories when he does ride some during the program. Do you have any suggestions for him?

Thanks so much!
Open User Options Menu

HamsFitness

Ellington Darden wrote:
highheavy,

This is the hardcover edition that Rodale has published that is special. It has an extra 16 pages on big arms and has a laminated cover. Go to www.bodyfatbreakthrough.com and have a look.

Ellington


So how do we in the UK get this?

Thanks,

Richard
Open User Options Menu

coalman426

Just got Dr. Dardens' new book on my wife's Kindle this morning. Can anyone give me more information on one of his old books that outlined each piece of original Nautilus equipment? You can't beat a Kindle, 10 dollars for the book.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

valmj107 wrote:
Hello Dr. Darden,

I just finished reading you book and am very excited to begin the program. My husband has committed to doing it with me, but he is concerned since he is a cyclist and has fall races coming up. He is worried about his endurance decreasing if he can't ride his bike for 6 weeks. So he thinks that he should just be able to increase his calories when he does ride some during the program. Do you have any suggestions for him?

Thanks so much!


You can't get all things with this program. Less fat and more muscle, yes. But throw in endurance cycling, extended tennis practices, and trying to run a half marathon . . . and your body breaks down. Upping the calories won't help much, either.

The idea is to train harder and biefer, eat an adequate amount of calories, superhydrate, and rest a lot more than normal.

If he can't drop the cycling for six weeks and rest more, then this program is NOT for him.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy