MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Mindless Medical Recommendations
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

marcrph

Portugal

Mindless medical recommendations (mmr) are everywhere today. If you don't believe this is true....just watch the "Dr. Oz" TV show, or visit the Body by Science website..... Dr. Mercola website.

We've been told to drink 8 glasses of water a day: for our health! Or is this another mindless medical recommendation?

Does over-hydration slow metabolism?

http://180degreehealth.com/...ould-you-drink/
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Over-hydration...here....in Georgia


http://www.cbsnews.com/...water-gatorade/
Open User Options Menu

coalman426

im on blood pressure,testosterone patch and 3 allergy meds.i dont feel any different.still have a runny nose.ill bet if i didnt have health insurace i wouldnt have been perscribed anything.
Open User Options Menu

backtrack

No it's not a mindless 8 glasses is quite moderate in all fairness. It boils down to common sense. No one could argue that water doesn't help with constipation or helping cleanse the system in general.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Over-hydration is very stressful to the human body.

Is the body temperature normal or low (98.6 degrees)?

Is the urine very clear?
(No healthy animal on earth has clear urine)

Are the hands and feet cold?

Over-hydration results in the salts of the body being low in concentrations in the blood and fluids.

Should we just drink when thirsty?

Open User Options Menu

backtrack

coalman426 wrote:
im on blood pressure,testosterone patch and 3 allergy meds.i dont feel any different.still have a runny nose.ill bet if i didnt have health insurace i wouldnt have been perscribed anything.


This is why people turn to alternatives. Especially look at what they eat.
Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

I only drink when thirsty... have always done so. One, if I were to drink 8 (or more) glasses per day, I'd be pissing constantly. Two, how much water you need depends on humidity, temperature, etc. Three, and I think this is more important, the body adapts to the degree of fluids you give it - if you don't drink often and only when thirsty, you can survive longer without water and your body requires less water in general; conversely, super-hydrate all the time and the body comes to expect it and will require it.

I can go out for the day in the Summer and may require a drink here or there if I'm near water; otherwise, I hydrate later. And then you have those people who have to take 1-2 bottles of water with them wherever they do (I have a neighbor across the street like that... I never see him without a bottle of water in his hands, including going to his nephew's baptism at a church down the street, lol).
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Thirst begins when the concentration of blood (an accurate indicator of our state of hydration) has risen by less than two percent, whereas most experts would define dehydration as beginning when that concentration has risen by at least five percent.

So much for common sense.


http://www.scientificamerican....

"drink to your thirst"
Open User Options Menu

iflyboats

orthotics
pretty much all of psychiatry
statins

Open User Options Menu

coomo

Statins.Unless of course you feel the need to line the pockets of the Pharmas, develop Alzheimers, cancer and likely still die of inflammation, because you have stopped your body producing the only compound, that can actually help you.
Open User Options Menu

HDLou

http://www.foxnews.com/...ntcmp=obnetwork
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Oh yes.....SUGAR...is bad, addictive, cause cancer...etc....with no clear research....


Who/what will be the next bad guy to make a straw man.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Don't forget the mindless medical recommendation to use ice for recovery
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

marcrph wrote:
Don't forget the mindless medical recommendation to use ice for recovery


==Scott==
I've sustained quite a few injuries through out my 62 years and I've always found rubbing a frozen slurpie cup sized chunk of ice on the injury the best remedy for me. I once hurt my lower back bad in a cycling race. I was on my back lying on the floor for weeks ( had no insurance then) not able to move. I finally was able to go to the doctor and they prescribed heat. That only made it worse, then I froze a large cup of water and started rubbing it directly to my lower back. In no time it started feeling much better.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

entsminger wrote:
marcrph wrote:
Don't forget the mindless medical recommendation to use ice for recovery

==Scott==
I've sustained quite a few injuries through out my 62 years and I've always found rubbing a frozen slurpie cup sized chunk of ice on the injury the best remedy for me. I once hurt my lower back bad in a cycling race. I was on my back lying on the floor for weeks ( had no insurance then) not able to move. I finally was able to go to the doctor and they prescribed heat. That only made it worse, then I froze a large cup of water and started rubbing it directly to my lower back. In no time it started feeling much better.


the key word that I used was "recovery."
I too have used ice on aches and acute pain. Different subject. Ice baths for recovery may not be a good idea!
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Dr. Mercola is full of MMR's such as this one:

"The super-slow movement allows your muscle, at the microscopic level, to access the maximum number of cross-bridges between the protein filaments that produce movement in the muscle."


---------------------
This is an outright LIE!

The human body can form cross-bridges at a rate faster than Superslow reps. There is ZERO credible information to back Mercola's claim above. I'll assume he was lying due to financial incentives.

Not ONE SS aficionado will dispute this....

Here is what really happens.

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=gwlMxdHn53E
Open User Options Menu

coalman426

marc you should start your own site.body building with a high iq.your way over my head.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

coalman426 wrote:
marc you should start your own site.body building with a high iq.your way over my head.


You seem like a nice guy! I don't usually give general advice or general recommendations, but here goes.

Learn how the body can adapt to many stressors. Learn about the 3 energy systems...alactic, glycolytic, and aerobic, and lastly....learn the Kreb's cycle backwards and forwards....and the nonsense claims of food gurus will just melt away....we all run on ATP....especially for muscle contractions. All else is nonsense, or personal opinions. There is no conclusive proof of any exercise protocol over another. Do what works for you and is sustainable for you....which means you will need to experiment....and ignore exercise gurus.
Open User Options Menu

backtrack

You're probably right about the excess water but how much is too much/ too little difficult to say.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Dan_The_man wrote:
You're probably right about the excess water but how much is too much/ too little difficult to say.


Dan,

You are a clever trainee:

Is the body temperature normal or low (98.6 degrees is normal)?

Is the urine very clear?
(No healthy animal on earth has clear urine)

Are the hands and feet cold?

Dan, you can easily measure and monitor body temperature. Do so! Then, you will know.

BTW...getting up at night to pee ain't cool.....and surely hurts recovery....and your better half's sleep also.
Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

You must be young. I rarely drink fluids past 6 pm and still get up 1-2 times every night to piss.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

marcrph wrote:
Dr. Mercola is full of MMR's such as this one:

"The super-slow movement allows your muscle, at the microscopic level, to access the maximum number of cross-bridges between the protein filaments that produce movement in the muscle."


---------------------
This is an outright LIE!

The human body can form cross-bridges at a rate faster than Superslow reps. There is ZERO credible information to back Mercola's claim above. I'll assume he was lying due to financial incentives.

Not ONE SS aficionado will dispute this....

Here is what really happens.

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=gwlMxdHn53E


Mercola is borderline to full level quackery on a lot of topics. Anything to sell you supplements I suppose.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Brian Johnston wrote:
You must be young. I rarely drink fluids past 6 pm and still get up 1-2 times every night to piss.


Yes....some of the recommendations of fluid intake don't make much sense.

If one was in battle....I'd bet fluid intake would be reduced.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
marcrph wrote:
Dr. Mercola is full of MMR's such as this one:

"The super-slow movement allows your muscle, at the microscopic level, to access the maximum number of cross-bridges between the protein filaments that produce movement in the muscle."


---------------------
This is an outright LIE!

The human body can form cross-bridges at a rate faster than Superslow reps. There is ZERO credible information to back Mercola's claim above. I'll assume he was lying due to financial incentives.

Not ONE SS aficionado will dispute this....

Here is what really happens.



Mercola is borderline to full level quackery on a lot of topics. Anything to sell you supplements I suppose.


Calling Body by Science and Mercola out on this subject was part of the reason I was banned at BBS. The truth hurts! Superslow is just another way to exercise....and certainly not the ultimate exercise protocol. Funny how someone protects their turf when they have a financial interest at stake.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Brian Johnston wrote:
You must be young. I rarely drink fluids past 6 pm and still get up 1-2 times every night to piss.


==Scott==
Interesting, after having colon cancer and the fun that goes with that I started drinking lots more water to facilitate number 2. I drink lots of water most of the time and right before bed I drink at least 8 to 10 ounces of water and I never have to get up to pee. I guess we're all different.
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy