MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Time Between Workouts
1 | 2 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Tridentine

I do a HIT workout usually every time.

Anyone else find this to be true:

If I rest 120 hours between workouts my muscles are fuller and I am stronger.

I have experimented with 96 hrs turn around but not as good as 120.

I do 6-8 exersizes each workout.

Anyone else experience this?
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

No.
Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

I only train each body part once a week, although I train three times a week, and so that may not reflect your application and patterns.
Open User Options Menu

Tridentine

Bodypart training overlaps so much

Chest works front shoulders
Back works chest and or biceps
traps works neck
biceps, forearms
etc
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Tridentine wrote:
Bodypart training overlaps so much

Chest works front shoulders
Back works chest and or biceps
traps works neck
biceps, forearms
etc


I've never found it too big of a deal.

You can always just do a full body workout, or upper/lower body split if very concerned about those matters, but I don't have enough gas to use the sufficient amount of volume and overall demands with full body or upper/lower split (unless I was just trying to achieve some sort of cardio/lighter training effect) - hence always spend more time on a 3 way split for more serious training.
Open User Options Menu

coalman426

I agree with hh.the original jones full body does work good though.I did Johnston's stuff over winter.I'm doing german volume for five weeks and then I may do some sort of hit.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Full body workouts can more readily allow you to train each muscle with more frequency if you can tolerate them and a little less volume (and intensity). There might be an anabolic effect to training the entire body at once too (just speculation on my part). Two good full body workouts a week can be productive though under the right circumstances at least for a cycle or something. A lot of the old timers trained this way.

Once my left kidney biopsy procedure recovers, I might give these a spin for a few weeks. It's been 10 days and I am still damn sore.
Open User Options Menu

Tridentine

I do legs, sometimes deadlifts, chest and back in one workout to failure where its hard to stand up.

Rest 120 hrs and then the rest
neck/traps
shoulers
bis
tris
calves
abs

till completely shot.

I am still sore 4 days later.

Forearms every other workout.
Open User Options Menu

coomo

Tridentine wrote:
I do a HIT workout usually every time.

Anyone else find this to be true:

If I rest 120 hours between workouts my muscles are fuller and I am stronger.

I have experimented with 96 hrs turn around but not as good as 120.

I do 6-8 exersizes each workout.

Anyone else experience this?

No,I need a week to recover.I feel good to go again after 4/5 days.However, Ive had scabs that look healed after two weeks.Give them a nudge and they bleed again.I draw a similar conclusion with training.
In fact, im pretty sure two weeks would be better.I missed a workout a few months back.I made strength gains.
I believe Mentzer was right.Dose,repsonse is highly individual.Most of us would do better with less frequency.Thing is no matter how wonderful and logical, we think we all are for training "scientifically" The gym rat mentally still bubbles under the surface.If we are told that less is better, our percieved denial of gym time, makes us irrational and angry.

Open User Options Menu

coomo

Tridentine wrote:
Bodypart training overlaps so much

Chest works front shoulders
Back works chest and or biceps
traps works neck
biceps, forearms
etc

Exactly.Anyway,its not about specific recovery its systemic recovery thats the issue.

Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Tridentine wrote:
I do legs, sometimes deadlifts, chest and back in one workout to failure where its hard to stand up.

Rest 120 hrs and then the rest
neck/traps
shoulers
bis
tris
calves
abs

till completely shot.

I am still sore 4 days later.

Forearms every other workout.


==Scott==
Wow, are you saying you are still sore 4 days later after every workout? To me that seems like you are training to hard or to much?
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

entsminger wrote:
Tridentine wrote:
I do legs, sometimes deadlifts, chest and back in one workout to failure where its hard to stand up.

Rest 120 hrs and then the rest
neck/traps
shoulers
bis
tris
calves
abs

till completely shot.

I am still sore 4 days later.

Forearms every other workout.

==Scott==
Wow, are you saying you are still sore 4 days later after every workout? To me that seems like you are training to hard or to much?


It's a conditioned response that happens to people that get used to low frequency.

In my ultra-consolidation days, when I would go 10 days between workouts, I would be sore as hell for a week.

It's your body'so way of telling you to stop what you're doing, because it's too metabolically costly.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

simon-hecubus wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Tridentine wrote:
I do legs, sometimes deadlifts, chest and back in one workout to failure where its hard to stand up.

Rest 120 hrs and then the rest
neck/traps
shoulers
bis
tris
calves
abs

till completely shot.

I am still sore 4 days later.

Forearms every other workout.

==Scott==
Wow, are you saying you are still sore 4 days later after every workout? To me that seems like you are training to hard or to much?

It's a conditioned response that happens to people that get used to low frequency.

In my ultra-consolidation days, when I would go 10 days between workouts, I would be sore as hell for a week.

It's your body'so way of telling you to stop what you're doing, because it's too metabolically costly.


==Scott==
I've been there and done the routines where I've been sore for days or a week or more after. I found it counter productive.To me that's like running a marathon each workout. I've run marathons and half marathons and been sore for a week or much more after a run. I managed to complete the runs but it's not a sensible way to train on an on going basis.
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

One word I forgot to use in my post is 'Deconditioning'. Hypertrophy is NOT a natural state --- your body will try to dissuade you any way it can.
Open User Options Menu

coalman426

I don't think it's uncommon to be sore when you change up your routine.just stretch and work through it.if it's a joint that's different.I don't think muscle soreness means you need more recovery.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

coalman426 wrote:
I don't think it's uncommon to be sore when you change up your routine.just stretch and work through it.if it's a joint that's different.I don't think muscle soreness means you need more recovery.


==Scott==
I could be wrong but I don't think Trendtine was changing up routines that caused the soreness? I just thought he worked so hard each workout he was sore for many days after.
Open User Options Menu

Tridentine

My main point, aside from the soreness, is that my muscles are fuller and I am stronger after 120 hrs of no weights, than they are after 72 or 96 hrs.

In my old days when I worked out 3 or 4 days a week I was also very sore even after 40-48 rest.

I worked out low intensity then for about 1 1/2 hrs per workout.
Open User Options Menu

coach-jeff

Louisiana, USA

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Full body workouts can more readily allow you to train each muscle with more frequency if you can tolerate them and a little less volume (and intensity). There might be an anabolic effect to training the entire body at once too (just speculation on my part). Two good full body workouts a week can be productive though under the right circumstances at least for a cycle or something. A lot of the old timers trained this way.

Once my left kidney biopsy procedure recovers, I might give these a spin for a few weeks. It's been 10 days and I am still damn sore.


Glad to see you're open to full-body!

Open User Options Menu

coach-jeff

Louisiana, USA

Tridentine wrote:
My main point, aside from the soreness, is that my muscles are fuller and I am stronger after 120 hrs of no weights, than they are after 72 or 96 hrs.

In my old days when I worked out 3 or 4 days a week I was also very sore even after 40-48 rest.

I worked out low intensity then for about 1 1/2 hrs per workout.


I believe ultra low frequency makes one very sore every workout due to deconditioning.

I once did calves 3 days a week, a muscles with usually gets VERY sore for me,, and they stopped getting sore entirely. They also grew. That experiment is partly what has emboldened me to try training boyparts with higher frequency, but less volume per workout to accommodate the increased frequency.

Gotta run...client coming.

Open User Options Menu

coomo

Tridentine wrote:
My main point, aside from the soreness, is that my muscles are fuller and I am stronger after 120 hrs of no weights, than they are after 72 or 96 hrs.

In my old days when I worked out 3 or 4 days a week I was also very sore even after 40-48 rest.

I worked out low intensity then for about 1 1/2 hrs per workout.

Then you might be better over at Bodybuilding.com

Open User Options Menu

coalman426

Honestly coomo is right this is a hit site..the only problem withvswitching workoutvforums is I like nautilus so much.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

I believe ultra low frequency makes one very sore every workout due to deconditioning.


==Scott==
Exactly.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

My main point, aside from the soreness, is that my muscles are fuller and I am stronger after 120 hrs of no weights, than they are after 72 or 96 hrs.

==Scott==
My point then will be if it seems to be working for you, who cares what anyone on here has to say about it? like they know something you don't.
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

entsminger wrote:
I believe ultra low frequency makes one very sore every workout due to deconditioning.


==Scott==
Exactly.


I 4th motion --- considering that I firsted the motion last page and it was glossed over.
Open User Options Menu

Tridentine

coomo wrote:
Tridentine wrote:
My main point, aside from the soreness, is that my muscles are fuller and I am stronger after 120 hrs of no weights, than they are after 72 or 96 hrs.

In my old days when I worked out 3 or 4 days a week I was also very sore even after 40-48 rest.

I worked out low intensity then for about 1 1/2 hrs per workout.
Then you might be better over at Bodybuilding.com

Why?

Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy