MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Any HIT Trainer/Trainees Out There?
Author
Rating
Options

wellness warrior

I would like to keep this thread for "HIT" only folks. After all, this is a HIT site. I am a Hitter at heart, I've tried other methods and always come back to HIT. I have been a HIT practitioner since 1982.Please share your current workouts, frequency, duration.

I workout 2-3x per week, rotating 6 different full body W/Os of 10 exercises with a duration of 20 minutes.

Please note: not interested in any anti-HIT comments - I heard them all. Thanks
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

my routine changes from HIT to Heavy Duty every few months....but I always come back to the Nautilus style principals, 2x/week all on machines except for forearms...everything is 8-12 reps with 5-8 seconds tut
leg ext
leg press
calf press on the leg press machine
seated leg curl
peck deck
vertical chest press
machine pullover
close grip pulldowns
lateral machine
shoulder press
bi-machine
tri-machine
db wrist curl
ab machine
torso twist

non-lifting days I do treadmill fast walking ramping up the incline

I love this routine, never get bored with it at least for now

Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

I've been pretty much doing a variation of "Heavy Duty I" for the last 6 weeks.

I don't do the supersets and group biceps work with chest and tris; delts with back; then just a legs day. I train about every 3-4 days.

I do more exercise rotation and variation while still sticking with several same core exercises. Muscles seem a bit more dense and strength has been increasing rather well. I haven't trained this way in a very long time, so it's in a way 'new' to my body. I do occasionally drop back a rep or so from failure though to avoid the cumulative systematic fatigue without having to add more rest days and/or do fewer moves.

Rep ranges were about in the 10-15 range, but I've recently dropped them down to 6-10 with heavier loads for upper body.

Open User Options Menu

wellness warrior

Thanks guys for your responses, good to see people are actually doing HIT on this site.
My training has morphed over the many years. Yet, I find my best results come from hard (no "carpet time" or "puke-fest") and brief training. Average W/O time is 20 minutes and never over 30. I have been influenced by Jones, Darden, McGuff, and Brian Johnston. My training includes variation, slow reps, and varied rep patterns and always full body (just my preference)3x per week. I consider my self in great condition at 64. I do not consider my self a bodybuilder per se, but more of a "health seeker via strength training".
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Sometimes I do periods of 'a few sets', but never true volume, most of my routines are brief harder training. Right now, doing 3x full body, single sets. sometimes I'll do a 3 way split, sometimes ABA BAB. My routine right now is like this...
It's an alternating full body, 3 days a week, so aba bab full body.
A
Bench
Rows
Laterals
Curls
Squats
Calves

B
OHP
Un. Pulldowns
Shrugs
Triceps
Leg Ext
Leg Curls
Calves

Then like above, treadmill on the off days.
Open User Options Menu

Crotalus

Depends what you call HIT ... I trained full body for 15 years , influenced by Jones , Darden and Leistner.

When that no longer was giving results and was just beating me up I started splitting three ways ... so right there many would throw me out of then" HIT Club " . I should have done this much sooner

My workouts are still brief at 25-30 minutes , two sets to failure of two to three different exercise per body part ; 14-16 total sets per workout . I use Zones, Pre Exhaust, Break Downs , cluster sets , etc.

The muscles are thoroughly worked and pumped and I can train three days a week without being over trained.

Whatever you want to call it , it works well for me.

My split is legs & abs / chest, delts & triceps / back & biceps.

Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Cool, that's pretty much my setup when I use a 3 way split. Works for me too.



Crotalus wrote:
Depends what you call HIT ... I trained full body for 15 years , influenced by Jones , Darden and Leistner.

When that no longer was giving results and was just beating me up I started splitting three ways ... so right there many would throw me out of then" HIT Club " . I should have done this much sooner

My workouts are still brief at 25-30 minutes , two sets to failure of two to three different exercise per body part ; 14-16 total sets per workout . I use Zones, Pre Exhaust, Break Downs , cluster sets , etc.

The muscles are thoroughly worked and pumped and I can train three days a week without being over trained.

Whatever you want to call it , it works well for me.

My split is legs & abs / chest, delts & triceps / back & biceps.



Open User Options Menu

wellness warrior

Crotalus wrote:
Depends what you call HIT ... I trained full body for 15 years , influenced by Jones , Darden and Leistner.

When that no longer was giving results and was just beating me up I started splitting three ways ... so right there many would throw me out of then" HIT Club " . I should have done this much sooner

My workouts are still brief at 25-30 minutes , two sets to failure of two to three different exercise per body part ; 14-16 total sets per workout . I use Zones, Pre Exhaust, Break Downs , cluster sets , etc.

The muscles are thoroughly worked and pumped and I can train three days a week without being over trained.

Whatever you want to call it , it works well for me.

My split is legs & abs / chest, delts & triceps / back & biceps.


Good point, how do you define HIT? I believe your workouts would be HIT. Hard & brief, I also do not want to beat myself up. I can keep the intensity high without pain. I like to train hard, therefore duration is less than 30 minutes.

How would we define HIT in 2017??
Open User Options Menu

coomo

Current workout.
Leg press 2 mins tul
Assisted chin 1.30 tul
Hammer chest/shoulder 1.30 tul
Trap dead lifts 1.30 tul
One set each, once a week.
Open User Options Menu

Crotalus

wellness warrior wrote:

Good point, how do you define HIT? I believe your workouts would be HIT. Hard & brief, I also do not want to beat myself up. I can keep the intensity high without pain. I like to train hard, therefore duration is less than 30 minutes.

How would we define HIT in 2017??


Like you define it , hard and brief. I'm stopping around 25-30 minutes not by a watch but because that's how hard it is ... any more I wouldn't be doing it in a meaning full manner. Two or three movements per body part, two sets to failure ( or close to it ) each is all I need. Comes to about 7-10 minutes per muscle group. How more efficient can you get ? I'm still doing the minimum amount required to feel I really taxed and pumped the muscles. I'm still doing what Jones taught ;

' ... see how little you need , not how much you can take ". I'm doing that but in a little bit different way.

For me the biggest positive change I made to my training was to get away from the full body routines that beat the fuck out of me and split it to target muscles better, allow me to train another day a week and avoid the systematic drain on me that two full body 'Dr. Ken Routines' did.

Full body routines of course is the first thing taught in classic, old school HIT ... so many see dividing your routine as a step in the wrong direction and aren't training in the HIT guidelines.

I just disagree with that. But then again, I don't care what how I train is called, just that it gives me the results I'm after.
Open User Options Menu

Frank Scott

coomo
How is that working for you? Since you are using TUL I assume you are training super slow?
Open User Options Menu

coomo

Frank Scott wrote:
coomo
How is that working for you? Since you are using TUL I assume you are training super slow?

Not really superslow thats minimum 12 reps legs, 8 upper body.
I used to have a duo squat in my home gym,sadly no gone.
I doubled my leg strength using this workout in 6 months,having trained for years at 52.im now 57.

Open User Options Menu

wellness warrior

Crotalus wrote:
wellness warrior wrote:



Like you define it , hard and brief. I'm stopping around 25-30 minutes not by a watch but because that's how hard it is ... any more I wouldn't be doing it in a meaning full manner. Two or three movements per body part, two sets to failure ( or close to it ) each is all I need. Comes to about 7-10 minutes per muscle group. How more efficient can you get ? I'm still doing the minimum amount required to feel I really taxed and pumped the muscles. I'm still doing what Jones taught ;


For me the biggest positive change I made to my training was to get away from the full body routines that beat the fuck out of me and split it to target muscles better, allow me to train another day a week and avoid the systematic drain on me that two full

Full body routines of course is the first thing taught in classic, old school HIT ... so many see dividing your routine as a step in the wrong direction and aren't training in the HIT guidelines.

I just disagree with that. But then again, I don't care what how I train is called, just that it gives me the results I'm after.


IMO, this is where HIT dogma needs to be more "flexible". Doug McGuff performs splits to help recovery. Where as I prefer full body because of the metabolic effect. Obviously, one can do either or both.

Coomo

Glad to hear and see your workout is working.

HIT 2017 needs to expand under the umbrella of hard and brief.

Open User Options Menu

Crotalus

wellness warrior wrote:

IMO, this is where HIT dogma needs to be more "flexible". Doug McGuff performs splits to help recovery. Where as I prefer full body because of the metabolic effect. Obviously, one can do either or both.


Right . To me the funny thing is even though Jones sternly dictated training be done in a certain way , he also said never to believe something just because he or anyone else said it. He said try it, keep what works and throw the rest out.

Like you say, many HIT advocates believe hard, efficient and productive training can be done only one way .... and that just bullshit.

Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

wellness warrior wrote:
HIT 2017 needs to expand under the umbrella of hard and brief.



and.....effective.

Based on accepted science!
Open User Options Menu

acas1959

Well said ... however working out every 7 days HIT style always gave me great results. To each his own ... best HIT definition IMHO lol
Open User Options Menu
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy