MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Weights Versus Running, Which Best?
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

BennyAnthonyOfKC

Missouri, USA

The following article summarizes new research that bolsters the notion that weight-training is better at improving the heart compared to running. This is not news to people knowledgeable of the research found at Nautilus, MedX and all the others that gave weight-training the chance it deserved in studies concerning cardiovascular-health!

LINK:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...ew-study-finds/
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Yep, but it sounds both types together are still best.

"However, static activity appeared more beneficial than dynamic, and patients who did both types of physical activity fared better than patients who simply increased the level of one type of activity."
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

BennyAnthonyOfKC wrote:
The following article summarizes new research that bolsters the notion that weight-training is better at improving the heart compared to running. This is not news to people knowledgeable of the research found at Nautilus, MedX and all the others that gave weight-training the chance it deserved in studies concerning cardiovascular-health!

LINK:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...ew-study-finds/


I really have my doubts about running. Most runners I see look like they are dying... Maybe that is just a local thing, something in the water?
So many runners pound the unforgiving pavements, next to busy roads, all that impact, all that heavy breathing around polluted air.

Obviously some people thrive onrunning, and many no doubt improve their health, but I my opinion it is defintely not a sure thing, and running is a double edged sword. With the weights, there is more control, more resistance, usually better air conditions (i.e. not next to a main road), no impact and all the musculature can be worked. The heart must pump very hard and depending on how you train, the lungs may be hit hard too.
Open User Options Menu

1958

Texas, USA

We await the rebuttal from marcph,he with the 22" neck.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32


Obviously some people thrive onrunning, and many no doubt improve their health, but I my opinion it is defintely not a sure thing, and running is a double edged sword. With the weights, there is more control, more resistance, usually better air conditions (i.e. not next to a main road), no impact and all the musculature can be worked. The heart must pump very hard and depending on how you train, the lungs may be hit hard too.


I think some runners just go too extreme. Marathon training the worst. I know my knees would crumble from running. I stick to power walking on treadmill and some biking.
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Yeah, the real comparison is 'steady state' cardio vs intermittent. Both cause improvements but, there are differences in the specific improvements. Steady state does cause adaptations that weightlifting just can't.
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

well, I tried taking up running again, it felt good cardio wise but structural wise it was painful....ankles, shins, back and even my groin muscle.....I tried going thru the hardening phase and none of the injuries would let up.....so, no running for me
Open User Options Menu

AndyMitch

Met Con FTW
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

hit4me wrote:
well, I tried taking up running again, it felt good cardio wise but structural wise it was painful....ankles, shins, back and even my groin muscle.....I tried going thru the hardening phase and none of the injuries would let up.....so, no running for me


Me too, over a year ago I got a treadmill,... same thing, after a while knees killing me.. ended up selling it. I want me 16 year old knees back lol
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Yep, but it sounds both types together are still best.

"However, static activity appeared more beneficial than dynamic, and patients who did both types of physical activity fared better than patients who simply increased the level of one type of activity."


==Scott==
I agree, both types are best.I used to love to run and did both marathons and 10ks, triathlons then one day while video taping a golf tournament I got hot square in the knee with a golf ball. After that my knee was never the same and I seemed to favor that knee which led to injuries to the other. I really miss running but just can't do it anymore.
Open User Options Menu

Crotalus

entsminger wrote:
one day while video taping a golf tournament I got hot square in the knee with a golf ball. After that my knee was never the same


Did you have it looked at by a doctor / x-rayed ? I'm curious of what the injury actually was.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

entsminger wrote:
HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Yep, but it sounds both types together are still best.

"However, static activity appeared more beneficial than dynamic, and patients who did both types of physical activity fared better than patients who simply increased the level of one type of activity."

==Scott==
I agree, both types are best.I used to love to run and did both marathons and 10ks, triathlons then one day while video taping a golf tournament I got hot square in the knee with a golf ball. After that my knee was never the same and I seemed to favor that knee which led to injuries to the other. I really miss running but just can't do it anymore.


I just do 20-25 min, 3-4 times a week power/fast walking on treadmill or on exercise bike. Anything more and it's too much on my knees. But my weight training (usually 3 days a week) done via CTF with short rests gives a good effect as well.
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

Nwlifter wrote:
hit4me wrote:
well, I tried taking up running again, it felt good cardio wise but structural wise it was painful....ankles, shins, back and even my groin muscle.....I tried going thru the hardening phase and none of the injuries would let up.....so, no running for me

Me too, over a year ago I got a treadmill,... same thing, after a while knees killing me.. ended up selling it. I want me 16 year old knees back lol


I loved running when I was young and skinny. Now that I am older, heavier, and brittle, the elliptical machine has become my friend.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Crotalus wrote:
entsminger wrote:
one day while video taping a golf tournament I got hot square in the knee with a golf ball. After that my knee was never the same

Did you have it looked at by a doctor / x-rayed ? I'm curious of what the injury actually was.


==Scott==
I had it x-rayed and it looked to be a fracture of some sort.The initial pain went away but it's always been weak and sensitive ever since. I can bike and erg with no problem but when running it hurts. After my chemo a few years ago I tried to resume running anyway, and about the 3rd week into a slow jog around the block routine I tore a meniscus in the other knee.I had therapy for that for about 6 months and it got somewhat better and they suggested possibly doing surgery but one doctor said it could help and another was skeptical so I skipped it. What used to be my strongest attribute, my legs, are now my weakness.Stay away from golfers, ha ha.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Average Al wrote:
Nwlifter wrote:
hit4me wrote:
well, I tried taking up running again, it felt good cardio wise but structural wise it was painful....ankles, shins, back and even my groin muscle.....I tried going thru the hardening phase and none of the injuries would let up.....so, no running for me

Me too, over a year ago I got a treadmill,... same thing, after a while knees killing me.. ended up selling it. I want me 16 year old knees back lol

I loved running when I was young and skinny. Now that I am older, heavier, and brittle, the elliptical machine has become my friend.


==Scott==
I've thought about getting one of those but they are just so damn big I don't have room for one.I know what you mean by being brittle. I'm really having a tough time dealing with falling apart, ha ha.
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

entsminger wrote:
Crotalus wrote:
entsminger wrote:
one day while video taping a golf tournament I got hot square in the knee with a golf ball. After that my knee was never the same

Did you have it looked at by a doctor / x-rayed ? I'm curious of what the injury actually was.

==Scott==
I had it x-rayed and it looked to be a fracture of some sort.The initial pain went away but it's always been weak and sensitive ever since. I can bike and erg with no problem but when running it hurts. After my chemo a few years ago I tried to resume running anyway, and about the 3rd week into a slow jog around the block routine I tore a meniscus in the other knee.I had therapy for that for about 6 months and it got somewhat better and they suggested possibly doing surgery but one doctor said it could help and another was skeptical so I skipped it. What used to be my strongest attribute, my legs, are now my weakness.Stay away from golfers, ha ha.


oh man ouch.. did the chemo cause the weakening of the meniscus?
On your next post, I hear ya, being brittle and things not working right is rough, I spend 1/2 my thoughts missing the resilience of my youth...
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

entsminger wrote:
Average Al wrote:
Nwlifter wrote:
hit4me wrote:
well, I tried taking up running again, it felt good cardio wise but structural wise it was painful....ankles, shins, back and even my groin muscle.....I tried going thru the hardening phase and none of the injuries would let up.....so, no running for me

Me too, over a year ago I got a treadmill,... same thing, after a while knees killing me.. ended up selling it. I want me 16 year old knees back lol

I loved running when I was young and skinny. Now that I am older, heavier, and brittle, the elliptical machine has become my friend.


==Scott==
I've thought about getting one of those but they are just so damn big I don't have room for one.I know what you mean by being brittle. I'm really having a tough time dealing with falling apart, ha ha.


It is not any bigger than a treadmill, which is what some people were talking about. But yah, not the kind of thing you can slide under a bed. On the other hand, I thought you have a whole collection of nautilus machines? Where do you keep that stuff?
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

BennyAnthonyOfKC wrote:

LINK:




Fake news (research) from the hot bed of research science in Grenada.

Dr. Maia Smith stated:

"The important thing is to make sure they are engaging in physical activity."

That is research???? The same kind of BS that circuit weight training also claimed.

Exercise scientists are gelded.

Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

1958 wrote:
We await the rebuttal from marcph,he with the 22" neck.


1958
08/28/18
09:36 AM
Texas, USA

Hell, I'm 60 but still getting in two hard, short workouts each week. In high school and college I had a 31" waist. These days I'm at 32". I must be doing something right!

--------------
Seems you have ALL the answers already!
Why care what I or anyone else says?

R U the web site custodian?
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Average Al wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Average Al wrote:
Nwlifter wrote:
hit4me wrote:
well, I tried taking up running again, it felt good cardio wise but structural wise it was painful....ankles, shins, back and even my groin muscle.....I tried going thru the hardening phase and none of the injuries would let up.....so, no running for me

Me too, over a year ago I got a treadmill,... same thing, after a while knees killing me.. ended up selling it. I want me 16 year old knees back lol

I loved running when I was young and skinny. Now that I am older, heavier, and brittle, the elliptical machine has become my friend.


==Scott==
I've thought about getting one of those but they are just so damn big I don't have room for one.I know what you mean by being brittle. I'm really having a tough time dealing with falling apart, ha ha.

It is not any bigger than a treadmill, which is what some people were talking about. But yah, not the kind of thing you can slide under a bed. On the other hand, I thought you have a whole collection of nautilus machines? Where do you keep that stuff?


==Scott==
Yea I have a bunch of Nautilus and a few others that took me forever to get so I don?t want to get rid of any. I did unload 2 this year but that space got filled with stuff before I could blink. Ha ha . Im still not convinced an elliptical is what I need? Doing a tread mill is too boring and it?s just like walking. I think I need the yet to be made but coming soon to your nearest Walmart, the Double biometric digital tri- compound blitzkreig auto focusing plasma knee invigorator !
Open User Options Menu

1958

Texas, USA

We're all just waiting for proof of the 22" neck,be it fat or muscular...
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

1958 wrote:
We're all just waiting for proof of the 22" neck,be it fat or muscular...


So u r the custodian here! We now have u, scott and T! So Blessed!
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/.../pubmed/6513767

"And the reason circuit training doesn't work to improve fitness is because of one missing component. To improve VO2 max you need to be able to contract a large number of muscle fibers simultaneously, increasing the oxygen demand, but you also need to be able to relax them quickly, too. A muscle contracted above fifty percent of it's maximum will actually prevent blood from flowing into it, thus decreasing the use of oxygen during exercise."
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/.../pubmed/2072844

This completely refutes the fake report from Grenada
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
BennyAnthonyOfKC wrote:

LINK:




Fake news (research) from the hot bed of research science in Grenada.

Dr. Maia Smith stated:

"The important thing is to make sure they are engaging in physical activity."

That is research???? The same kind of BS that circuit weight training also claimed.

Exercise scientists are gelded.



all I can say is when I took up running again....after performing full body nautilus style circuit training 2 to 3x per week....my heart and lungs were not so taxed as they were many years ago when I did not perform nautilus style full body circuit training....imo circuit training does benefit the cardio system to some degree
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy