MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Dr. Darden: Static Contractions
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Author
Rating
Options

hit4me

Florida, USA

ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
SB2006 wrote:
https://www.webmd.com/...lp-your-heart#1

There is zero credible evidence that weight lifting is a stand alone fitness endeavor.

This is a complete fallacy of Arthur Jones. Others, notably of the SuperSlow persuasion, have continued this line of false reasoning.


so when you disagree with a study then its a fallacy
Open User Options Menu

SB2006

"There is zero credible evidence that weight lifting is a stand alone fitness endeavor.

This is a complete fallacy of Arthur Jones. Others, notably of the SuperSlow persuasion, have continued this line of false reasoning."

Well that settles it. The expert guru (with the 22 inch neck has spoken)! LOL!!
Open User Options Menu

1958

Texas, USA

SB2006 wrote:
"There is zero credible evidence that weight lifting is a stand alone fitness endeavor.

This is a complete fallacy of Arthur Jones. Others, notably of the SuperSlow persuasion, have continued this line of false reasoning."

Well that settles it. The expert guru (with the 22 inch neck has spoken)! LOL!!


Most probably a 22" triple chin.
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

Tis the season - - - for giving!

Real story!


An anesthetist recently had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Carpal tunnel syndrome places pressure on the median nerve of the hand, which runs the length of the arm, goes through a small passage in the wrist called the carpal tunnel, and ends in the hand. CTS causes swelling and inflammation and leads to a loss of hand function. The scourge of 21st century, repetitive stress injuries, can be debilitating in the form of carpal tunnel syndrome as this anesthetist found out the hard way.

Repetitive full range of motion wrist curls and reverse wrist curls place unnecessary stress and shearing force on the intricate wrist structures. This can be counter productive as regards the wrists. On the other hand, the burn from isometric static holds during gripping exercises is extreme and effective. Gripping is one of the main functions of the hands. Long isometric holds of up to 5 minutes in duration are anaerobic in nature due to the observation of after effects of heavy breathing which counteract lactic acid buildup of anaerobic metabolism.


So isometric holds are all that are necessary for a strong grip. An occasional TheraBand Flexbar rotational gripper done also for long isometric holds is great and eliminates shear forces as most therapy regimens try to maintain a neutral grip.


https://www.bing.com/...58&&FORM=VRDGAR

I hope DeSimone is reading!


https://m.youtube.com/...h?v=d5qjY1cYdLM

Functional promotional grip training for Landau










Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
Tis the season - - - for giving!

Real story!


An anesthetist recently had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Carpal tunnel syndrome places pressure on the median nerve of the hand, which runs the length of the arm, goes through a small passage in the wrist called the carpal tunnel, and ends in the hand. CTS causes swelling and inflammation and leads to a loss of hand function. The scourge of 21st century, repetitive stress injuries, can be debilitating in the form of carpal tunnel syndrome as this anesthetist found out the hard way.

Repetitive full range of motion wrist curls and reverse wrist curls place unnecessary stress and shearing force on the intricate wrist structures. This can be counter productive as regards the wrists. On the other hand, the burn from isometric static holds during gripping exercises is extreme and effective. Gripping is one of the main functions of the hands. Long isometric holds of up to 5 minutes in duration are anaerobic in nature due to the observation of after effects of heavy breathing which counteract lactic acid buildup of anaerobic metabolism.


So isometric holds are all that are necessary for a strong grip. An occasional TheraBand Flexbar rotational gripper done also for long isometric holds is great and eliminates shear forces as most therapy regimens try to maintain a neutral grip.


https://www.bing.com/...58&&FORM=VRDGAR

I hope DeSimone is reading!


https://m.youtube.com/...h?v=d5qjY1cYdLM

Functional promotional grip training for Landau












Exhibition - Always seem that I have to Lower Myself
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

Landau wrote:


Exhibition - Always seem that I have to Lower Myself



Is not a full range of motion wrist curl just an exhibition of how much weight one can wrist curl?

Much the Same as the clean & jerk?

The true function of the hands is gripping objects.

Is it not?


Therefore, an isometric grip is true functional training for the forearms.



Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
Landau wrote:


Exhibition - Always seem that I have to Lower Myself


Is not a full range of motion wrist curl just an exhibition of how much weight one can wrist curl?

Much the Same as the clean & jerk?

The true function of the hands is gripping objects.

Is it not?


Therefore, an isometric grip is true functional training for the forearms.





There is No Such Thing as Functional Training.
Open User Options Menu

ptcrusader

I remain a big fan of isometrics for people who are willing to perform the same. I do not share the definition "functional training" that the CrossFit crowd seem to use. Rather, I refer to the term as exercise that helps with standard ADLs. In life, we lift things, hold things and carry things. But that does not mean that we need to train by flipping tires or jumping on boxes. Compound or a series of isolation exercises both seem to serve the general purpose of training one for the typical tasks of daily living.

Athletes, in my view, tend to perform well doing eccentric, concentric and isometric training as all three are typically required in sports. On the other hand, for the average Joe who just wants to tone up, isometrics and light calisthenics tend to serve the "toning" purpose without an undue risk of injury.

From a cardiac standpoint, there are research studies that seem to support almost any form of exercise. From a practical point, reducing stress may be the most important common denominator to living a healthier life. Have a great 2019.
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

Landau wrote:
ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
Landau wrote:


Exhibition - Always seem that I have to Lower Myself


Is not a full range of motion wrist curl just an exhibition of how much weight one can wrist curl?

Much the Same as the clean & jerk?

The true function of the hands is gripping objects.

Is it not?


Therefore, an isometric grip is true functional training for the forearms.





There is No Such Thing as Functional Training.


Why train then?
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

ptcrusader wrote:
I remain a big fan of isometrics for people who are willing to perform the same. I do not share the definition "functional training" that the CrossFit crowd seem to use. Rather, I refer to the term as exercise that helps with standard ADLs. In life, we lift things, hold things and carry things. But that does not mean that we need to train by flipping tires or jumping on boxes. Compound or a series of isolation exercises both seem to serve the general purpose of training one for the typical tasks of daily living.

Athletes, in my view, tend to perform well doing eccentric, concentric and isometric training as all three are typically required in sports. On the other hand, for the average Joe who just wants to tone up, isometrics and light calisthenics tend to serve the "toning" purpose without an undue risk of injury.

From a cardiac standpoint, there are research studies that seem to support almost any form of exercise. From a practical point, reducing stress may be the most important common denominator to living a healthier life. Have a great 2019.


Great post!

I do not subscribe to the CrossFit perspective of functional training either. However, I do not substitute a HIT view of functional training in place of such a viewpoint. I follow just what the word function is defined as:

: the action for which a person or thing is specially fitted or used or for which a thing exists : purpose

: any of a group of related actions contributing to a larger action; especially : the normal and specific contribution of a bodily part to the economy of a living organism The function of the heart is to pump blood through the body.

Therefore, isometric is functional training, as isometric training improves the function of gripping, the main purpose of the hand.
Open User Options Menu

Keyser S?

Landau wrote:

There is No Such Thing as Functional Training.


Well you've certainly mastered the aloofness and Arrogance of Arthur Jones.

Any chance of a logical explanation for your point of view to cap it off?
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

Keyser S? wrote:
Landau wrote:

There is No Such Thing as Functional Training.

Well you've certainly mastered the aloofness and Arrogance of Arthur Jones.

Any chance of a logical explanation for your point of view to cap it off?


I am just me. You attempt to Stimulate and Strengthen the Skeletal Muscles the Best Way You can - without thinking or partaking in so called functional movements. Your Goal is to Strengthen the Organism and then apply those muscles to your lifestyle, sports, and games of your personal endeavor. Demonstrated Feats of Strength and Dexterity are Specific to Skills exact to those Tasks and really don't carry over if only in a psychological sense - just some random thoughts.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Keyser S? wrote:
Landau wrote:

There is No Such Thing as Functional Training.

Well you've certainly mastered the aloofness and Arrogance of Arthur Jones.

Any chance of a logical explanation for your point of view to cap it off?


=== Scott===
I?m sure with this statement you?ve made Landau very happy!
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

If - You attempt to Stimulate and Strengthen the Skeletal Muscles the Best Way You can - you by definition increase the functionality of such.
Open User Options Menu

Mostly Dead

ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
If - You attempt to Stimulate and Strengthen the Skeletal Muscles the Best Way You can - you by definition increase the functionality of such.


ATP 4,

Your argument is sound but the eternal semantics dance the "learned" exercise here will be the only counter argument.

mostly
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

I like to lift heavy (for me), though I don't push it as heavy as I used to. Sometimes I lift odd objects but to be honest, the sfrength I have got from heavy compounds has always carried over well into 'real life', from lifting rocks and pulling myself into trees, moving pianos and lifting the back of friends cars (with a friend) and moving them around as a prank etc. I can honestly say fhe weights have massively helped me be strong in all sorta of ways.
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
If - You attempt to Stimulate and Strengthen the Skeletal Muscles the Best Way You can - you by definition increase the functionality of such.


Maybe - Depends on So Many Factors, but with what I've read in your Posts - I just don't see that you connect the dots
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

Mostly Dead wrote:
ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
If - You attempt to Stimulate and Strengthen the Skeletal Muscles the Best Way You can - you by definition increase the functionality of such.

ATP 4,

Your argument is sound but the eternal semantics dance the "learned" exercise here will be the only counter argument.

mostly


Thanks
Open User Options Menu

ATP 4 Vitality

Landau wrote:
ATP 4 Vitality wrote:
If - You attempt to Stimulate and Strengthen the Skeletal Muscles the Best Way You can - you by definition increase the functionality of such.

Maybe - Depends on So Many Factors, but with what I've read in your Posts - I just don't see that you connect the dots


Blame yourself, for several years ago one of your posts about training legs made me think more than a myriad of other posts.
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA


https://m.youtube.com/...h?v=d5qjY1cYdLM

Functional promotional grip training for Landau


I learned one important thing from that video: M'RICA!!!

God Bless Us All, Every One!!
Open User Options Menu

ptcrusader

Perhaps that video should be reposted on July 4th! Technically an isometric hold; however, seems like it is putting a lot of stress on the joints.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

simon-hecubus wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/...h?v=d5qjY1cYdLM

Functional promotional grip training for Landau

I learned one important thing from that video: M'RICA!!!

God Bless Us All, Every One!!




==Scott==
Ha, I'd forgotten all about those Worlds strongest Men competitions. Of special interest to me is the Atlas ball part.I have a 450 pound cannon ball from the Civil War. I had to get a fork lift to lift it an inch and these guys just lean over and pick such a thing up. Quite amazing!! It would be interesting to see how those guys fare down the road in terms of bad backs etc?
Open User Options Menu

Brian A Schamber

Texas, USA

Ken instructed me through a few exercise a couple years back and the (2) i-machines (along with the SS machines) were by far the best machines I have ever used. They felt nearly like body weight exercises with the ability to do isometrics after the third rep.
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy