MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Chins/Pull-ups Competition Video
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3
Author
Rating
Options

Equity

Brian Johnston wrote:
Equity wrote:
Something I've meant to ask you but didn't...

Do you perform the lat shrug negatively (relaxing) and then re-engage again for the concentric part of the rep?

Once I lower into the stretch I then perform the lat shrug to engage into the next rep.


Cheers. Understood.
Open User Options Menu

spud

Stuke - I wasn't criticising you personally. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

I like to think that my form is really good now, which means certain muscles are stronger and bigger than they were. Truth is, it's a work in progress.

To get to that point of what I consider good form, I've had to go through lots of workouts where my form was not so good. Sometimes poor, sometime mediocre, sometimes slightly above average.

Perhaps it was good for the first 2 to 3 reps of a set and would then deteriorate, but I kept going because I needed the volume.

Later on it would be good for sets 1 and 2, but sets 5 and 6 would be weaker and not as strict in terms of scapular depression and retraction.

For me, form isn't a thing that I choose to adopt (or not). It's a thing that I'm striving to develop by becoming strong enough to adopt it and maintain it throughout all my sets.

========

On another note, with a nod to Turpin and his Gironda Sternum pullups:

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=58QkcGVA12A

And here's a tutorial by Don Matesz (I skipped past the theory/history bit to the instructions, but it's a well thought out and interesting video: https://youtu.be/...piU5YuTDc?t=465
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

spud wrote:
Stuke - I wasn't criticising you personally. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

I like to think that my form is really good now, which means certain muscles are stronger and bigger than they were. Truth is, it's a work in progress.

To get to that point of what I consider good form, I've had to go through lots of workouts where my form was not so good. Sometimes poor, sometime mediocre, sometimes slightly above average.

Perhaps it was good for the first 2 to 3 reps of a set and would then deteriorate, but I kept going because I needed the volume.

Later on it would be good for sets 1 and 2, but sets 5 and 6 would be weaker and not as strict in terms of scapular depression and retraction.

For me, form isn't a thing that I choose to adopt (or not). It's a thing that I'm striving to develop by becoming strong enough to adopt it and maintain it throughout all my sets.

========

On another note, with a nod to Turpin and his Gironda Sternum pullups:

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=58QkcGVA12A

And here's a tutorial by Don Matesz (I skipped past the theory/history bit to the instructions, but it's a well thought out and interesting video: https://youtu.be/...c?t=465


Ha, it's ok I was not taking it personal. Each to their own, but for me, the Gironda sternum pull ups look ridiculous. I'm sure we've all seen people in the gym with tiny dumbells and little white shorts striving for absolute perfect form. I think it can go too far and limit gains. As I said, I have done pull ups to my chest and admit they are hard, but they did not sit well with me, it felt like I was 'spoiling' the movement by over thinking it and over exagerrating the movement.

If you and Turpin prefer them, good on you and stick to what you like, they're just not for me. I would much prefer to use the time honoured, normal range of motion but still strict and use other methods to isolate and target specific muscles.
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

I was just reading one of my posts and I have to apologise for the spelling... fat fingers and a tiny touch keyboard on my phone. Does not make for easy reading, sorry!
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

StuKE wrote:

Each to their own, but for me, the Gironda sternum pull ups look ridiculous.

If you and Turpin prefer them, good on you and stick to what you like, they're just not for me. I would much prefer to use the time honoured, normal range of motion but still strict and use other methods to isolate and target specific muscles.


The sternum pullup is a complete pullup and works the entire upper / middle back and encompasses the benefits of pullups . rows and pullover.
Many cannot perform them simply due to weakness in the necessary muscles and instead scoff at the movement as being `ridiculous`.
I have trained with some who prefer to squirm out a few reps of weighted chin-ups ( open scapulae , elbows forward and legs drawn up to assist ) and these individuals thereafter confuse their post workout attachment soreness ( ligamentum and tendon ) as being indicative of effectiveness of their efforts BUT invariably have no lat development to show.

I used to get pissed when some decried Gironda`s methods as `ridiculous` , BUT these days I simply smile and ignore. I have seen too many try them and make themselves look ridiculous by their inability to use even moderate resistance in their ( invariably poor ) performance of the chosen exercise.
I was / am capable of squatting 600lb + but would prefer ( & get more from ) the use of the barbell sissy squat , another `ridiculous` exercise that I have witnessed many BIG squatters fail to complete even a few light sets of.

Each to their own.

T.
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

Turpin wrote:
StuKE wrote:

Each to their own, but for me, the Gironda sternum pull ups look ridiculous.

If you and Turpin prefer them, good on you and stick to what you like, they're just not for me. I would much prefer to use the time honoured, normal range of motion but still strict and use other methods to isolate and target specific muscles.


The sternum pullup is a complete pullup and works the entire upper / middle back and encompasses the benefits of pullups . rows and pullover.
Many cannot perform them simply due to weakness in the necessary muscles and instead scoff at the movement as being `ridiculous`.
I have trained with some who prefer to squirm out a few reps of weighted chin-ups ( open scapulae , elbows forward and legs drawn up to assist ) and these individuals thereafter confuse their post workout attachment soreness ( ligamentum and tendon ) as being indicative of effectiveness of their efforts BUT invariably have no lat development to show.

I used to get pissed when some decried Gironda`s methods as `ridiculous` , BUT these days I simply smile and ignore. I have seen too many try them and make themselves look ridiculous by their inability to use even moderate resistance in their ( invariably poor ) performance of the chosen exercise.
I was / am capable of squatting 600lb + but would prefer ( & get more from ) the use of the barbell sissy squat , another `ridiculous` exercise that I have witnessed many BIG squatters fail to complete even a few light sets of.

Each to their own.

T.


The way that is worded seems to be a more or less direct attack on my form in the video and comments. Maybe attack is a big harsh, but clearly you are not pleased with my comments. I did not say that the Gironda sternum pull ups are rificulous, rather to me they look ridiculous, my opinion, not fact.
You almost imply that anything less than a full Gironda pull up is a faulure, cheat. Inability etc. Not so, chin ups from full hang to chin over bar have been used and used with very good results for decades. In fact far more than Gironda pull ups. Many much more accomplished guus than me and you have ghrived on them, seems wrong to dismiss their methods. Gironda pull ups are a sub division of pull ups, as sissy squats are a sub divison of squats.

Turpin, you have done much in this forum, I have aot of respect for you but you know what, I am happy with my form, happy with my results and happy that the soreness is a good sign, and it is not just in my insertions. At 45 with 30 plus years of experimenting I am fine with how I do them.

All the best


Edit:
Maybe I was a bit harsh, I have done a bit of reading and many swear by Gironda pull ups. The link posted earlier to the guy in the weightd vest did look a bit weird, somethibg aboutcrhe way his back curved did not look right, but others seem to look more natural in the movement.
I may incorporate them to some degree - not to replace my usual chins but I am not too blinkered to juat dismiss them and at least give them a try. Can't do any harm. I had a quick go in the garage earlier.
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy