MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Growth Workouts & Maintenance Workouts
First | Prev | 1 | 2
Author
Rating
Options

entsminger

Virginia, USA

tompuderbaugh wrote:
Many measurements and tools have been written about over the years. Many good ones by Dr. D. and Arthur Jones.

But a quick, fairly accurate assessment is to ask the question --

"Before I even started training, was I always one the most muscular guys in my circle of friends?"

The guys with really excellent muscle building genetics can almost always answer that question with -- "Yes, now that I think about it, no doubt about it."


==Scott==
In grade school I considered myself puny and weak and I never participated in sports of any kind. My brother on the other hand had what I consider great genetics. Basically a classic mesomorph type he could have easily built a 17 or larger arm if he worked out but he never did. By late middle school I had found weights and was working out trying to keep kids from beating me up. By high school they called me guns for my big arms.I was doing HIT type workouts when most people never heard of it. I gave the impression I was really strong but I wasn't, at least compared to some stud's who could bench almost twice what I could.Fortunately or unfortunately by that time no one dared mess with me so I never got to test my muscles against the bullies.
Open User Options Menu

epdavis7

As a senior in High School I did a touch and go bench press with some back arch with 335lbs. In my little High School it was pretty impressive. I never had the build to go along with it though and never got much beyond that numbers wise. I lost interest and started pursuing other interests.
Open User Options Menu

tompuderbaugh

I hear you about your older brother being a classic mesomorph (without any interest in weight training whatsoever).

I have a Doctor who literally could be "huge"....I'm talking about Pro caliber. A real monster.

I ask him once if he ever did any weight training. His reply was very telling --

"I tried it once in college for about 8 weeks, but I had to quit as I gained about 40lbs while taking 3 inches off of my waist. Couldn't find any clothes to wear".

Ain't THAT a bitch!

Moral of the story....You can't outrun genetics.

Good training to all.
Open User Options Menu

Jesse Lee Otis

entsminger wrote:
==Scott==
In grade school I considered myself puny and weak and I never participated in sports of any kind. My brother on the other hand had what I consider great genetics. Basically a classic mesomorph type he could have easily built a 17 or larger arm if he worked out but he never did. By late middle school I had found weights and was working out trying to keep kids from beating me up. By high school they called me guns for my big arms.I was doing HIT type workouts when most people never heard of it. I gave the impression I was really strong but I wasn't, at least compared to some stud's who could bench almost twice what I could.Fortunately or unfortunately by that time no one dared mess with me so I never got to test my muscles against the bullies.


==================================

I'm glad that you 'beefed up' and thwarted the actions of the idiot bullies. My story is similar. It is kinda neat how perceptions of guys are influenced by muscular development - and bully-types are much less likely to mess with muscular guys. In addition to working out with weights & machines, I worked out with a 'heavy bag' and punching bag -- and developed quite significant punching power. Of course, the bags did not hit back, and because I didn't participate in the sport of boxing I didn't develop much of a defense in fighting.

Jesse Lee

Open User Options Menu

Mega-duty

HeavyHitter32 wrote:
Mega-duty wrote:
I have noticed after 27 years of training, that it is almost impossible to improve all parts of the body at the same time. It is too exhausting and i have to eat so much food that it doesn't make sense anymore, it's a full time job.

But perhaps trying to improve one or two muscle group at a time it becomes to more tolerable?

Lyle McDonald talks about that in this video. From 49.00.

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=7oyikCv0L4Q



But then how do you maintain that new gain when you lessen the stimulus demands to go focus on another body part?


I think there is some studies that show, that only one thirds of workload is enough to maintain muscle mass which is hard to believe. I believe it is not enough at all but i can be wrong about that?

Open User Options Menu

Crotalus


I think there is some studies that show, that only one thirds of workload is enough to maintain muscle mass which is hard to believe. I believe it is not enough at all but i can be wrong about that?


I don't think you could build the muscle with that low of a resistance, but I believe after the muscle was built with 'heavy' loads, you could maintain those gains with less than it took to build it as long as the intensity was high enough.



Open User Options Menu

ron33

Ellington Darden wrote:
Scott,

That's a very impressive photo.

Ellington


Yes , snould be doing those Most interesting Man in the World commercials . Very distinguished looking pic .
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

epdavis7 wrote:
hit4me wrote:



Yes, if I add a 2x converter to it it becomes a 800 mm 5.6.



that's Santa Claus checking on us with his camera whether we are naughty or nice for his list

Lol...Scott do you play guitar? I hear ZZ Top is looking for a fourth band member lol


== Scott==
I had just trimmed off about 4 or 5 inches for that photo. Here?s about 2 weeks ago.
Open User Options Menu

epdavis7

Scott,

That is one proud beard. I wish I could grow mine like that. I have a stupid goatee only lol.
Open User Options Menu

Crotalus

epdavis7 wrote
:
Scott,

That is one proud beard.


He's real close to getting to ZZ Tops standards .

Many, many years ago I read where Gillette approached the two guitar players and offered them one million dollars each to shave off their beards using Gillettes razors.

Without hesitation they refused ...

Open User Options Menu

BorisV

Maryland, USA

Fatso wrote:
Assuming you have stimulated growth then you have to serve the needs of the growth mechanism to see a change. You then have to continue to do that to maintain that change.

The mechanism needs are basically:

1. Rest / Recovery (sleep)
2. An overabundance of calories above maintenance(fundamentally from carbs)
3. Water


No. 2 and 3 are very questionable, both from theoretical and practical standpoints. The latter (you can add muscles even on calorie-restricted diet) has been proven many times, including the multiple examples given in various Dr. Darden's books.
Open User Options Menu

Crotalus

entsminger wrote:

== Scott==
I had just trimmed off about 4 or 5 inches for that photo. Here?s about 2 weeks ago.


Don't trim anymore ... see if you get another ten inches out of it.

What you claim to lack in lats is easily made up with great beard genetics. I'm surprised there aren't some doubters here who are claiming it's an 'enhanced' beard .

Maybe you can do a Virginia Experiment. Shave the beard and see if you can re-grow it in six weeks.

Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

how much can your beard lift???

it hides your 22" neck, lol
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Crotalus wrote:
entsminger wrote:

== Scott==
I had just trimmed off about 4 or 5 inches for that photo. Here?s about 2 weeks ago.

Don't trim anymore ... see if you get another ten inches out of it.

What you claim to lack in lats is easily made up with great beard genetics. I'm surprised there aren't some doubters here who are claiming it's an 'enhanced' beard .

Maybe you can do a Virginia Experiment. Shave the beard and see if you can re-grow it in six weeks.



==Scott==
Ok I guess it's time to come clean. I've been using an early Jones experimental dual poly,omni,leverage multi rotational beard enhancement machine that never made it to the market. I found it when I was digging up the old blue monster.It's portable and the only catch is to reap it's full benefits you need to wear it around at least 8 hours a day. I get some odd looks at work when I'm wearing it. I just tell people it's a new high tech hat and the large spider cams are ear muffs, ha ha.
Open User Options Menu

Mega-duty

Crotalus wrote:

I think there is some studies that show, that only one thirds of workload is enough to maintain muscle mass which is hard to believe. I believe it is not enough at all but i can be wrong about that?


I don't think you could build the muscle with that low of a resistance, but I believe after the muscle was built with 'heavy' loads, you could maintain those gains with less than it took to build it as long as the intensity was high enough.





Yes i agree. If i remember correctly it was one third of volume which maintained muscle mass, with same intensity which was used to build that muscle. I don't necessarily believe even that. Well maybe it depends, if it is one set for maintain or three, five, is only protein mass measured, for example.
Open User Options Menu

Jesse Lee Otis

entsminger wrote:
==Scott==
Ok I guess it's time to come clean. I've been using an early Jones experimental dual poly,omni,leverage multi rotational beard enhancement machine that never made it to the market. I found it when I was digging up the old blue monster.It's portable and the only catch is to reap it's full benefits you need to wear it around at least 8 hours a day. I get some odd looks at work when I'm wearing it. I just tell people it's a new high tech hat and the large spider cams are ear muffs, ha ha.


===================================

Heh heh heh. Okay, how about a picture of you 'working out' with that. :-)

Jesse Lee


Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy