MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Doug Holland is on Instagram
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

spud

https://www.instagram.com/doug...

This is my favourite video. I guess this is a client preforming the trap bar deadlift.

https://www.instagram.com/.../p/B0oy8W8gsCL/

I also think it's appropriate to post the advice that Doug Holland gave me over 10 years ago in January 2009 regarding warming up for deadlifting when I was first starting out. Why? Because I imagine this is similar to what Dan in the video went through prior to his set of 11 reps with 428 pounds. Thought it was nice to provide some context.

Here's Doug...

Yes, get rid of the versagrips. Use your own grip with chalk. Squeeze the bar right before pulling it off the floor. Semi-relax your grip when the bar is on the floor between reps, but DO NOT let go and re-grip. And yes, I believe you are doing too much of a warm up for your top sets. If you were in my gym I would have you do 135x2 and maybe 135x1 before going straight to the 170. You'd probably get 11-13 reps with it too.

Example: My wife's last deadlift workout went like this:
135x2
160x1
160x1
185x9 (work set)

======================

Don't let the warm ups take away from the important work set(s). One or two sets is all you need unless you're pulling in the 500-600 lb range for reps. Then you might want to take a third set on the way there. Keep warm up reps low(1-3 reps). Remember, you're warming up the movement, not the body. Just take a few seconds between warm ups. Then load the bar, stalk around the gym for a little while, go take a piss, sip some water, and go for that set.

Example: a guy just left my gym. His deadlift went like this:
245x2
295x1
-break-
320x14

The two warm up sets took nothing away from his ability to actually do the 320x14.

======================

The low rep warm up serves as a "groove setter" to help prepare the trainee for the one chance (or two chances, if he's doing a second set) he gets with the work set. The low reps take nothing away from his ability to actually complete the real set.

For example, I have a guy coming in today who is due to get around 10-13 reps with 363 lb in the squat. First he'll take 245 lb for three to five reps just to get his head ready. I'll give him a two or three minute break, and then the real workout starts.


Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

This is good! In college,Doug and I lived in different rent houses on the same street.I worked out in Doug's gym and learned a lot about lifting.It's good to see he's still at it.Damn,he must be 60 years old these days!

Leon
Open User Options Menu

1958

Texas, USA

Insane weighted chins!
Open User Options Menu

StuKE

This approach is similar to how I did my best weights, though I would do a very light first set of maybe 6-10.
For example when I hit a 1 rep chin up with 118lb I did:
Bw x 6
+ 25lb x 2
+ 70lb x 1
+ 90lb x 1
+ 118lb x 1
bw x 10

I could not do what the guy on Instagram did, not for 2 reps anyway. Nit that I have gone this heavy in a year and don't plan to!

When I was younger I also gor my best bw reps after a hwavy single.

I just don't see the poont in doong loads of reps on the way up and using up some of your resources
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

I completely agree with Doug's advice, i.e., to focus on the legs, back and shoulder girdle. When in gyms today, all too often i see guys today spend 70-80 percent of their training chest n arms. Legs n back are just an after thoughts.

If anything its the girls these days that focus on heavy legs n back training.
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

I have arranged a meeting with Doug in a few weeks.He is a very eccentric individual.If he allows me to (he probably won't),I will take pictures of his gym and post them here.It's an awesome,forever changing place!

Leon
Open User Options Menu

consiglio

spud,
That is great reference material!Thanks for posting.Are you still in contact with Mr.Holland? I spoke with him years ago on telephone,and what I thought was going to be a 15 minute Q&A lasted over 90 minutes! A very kind and generous man.He was/is a fantastic resource for my training.
Open User Options Menu

Brian A Schamber

Texas, USA

I am going out for a workout in November. It is a lot of fun for me, lots of Nautilus and MedEx machines, various barbells and even a Zane Leg Blaster to boot. Variety out the ying yang.
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

I will be visiting Doug tomorrow.He says I may take/post photos but no videos(he gave no explanation as to why not...).
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

At Doug's
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

His deadlift area
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

Deadlift area 2 with 2" axle
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

Another view
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

One more
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Love it:)
Open User Options Menu

spud

Has Doug ever been involved in SuperSlow? I ask because in the videos he posts on Instagram, neither he or any of his clients appear to be adhering to a strict 10/10 cadence, or any other cadence for that matter, which is refreshing to see.

I particularly like the speed this guy is using on the shoulder press.

https://www.instagram.com/.../p/B1EGtv6At_W/

It's smooth, natural and obviously slower than most of the horrific sht you see online and in gyms all over the world, but neither Doug nor the client are counting the seconds.
Open User Options Menu

spud

consiglio wrote:
spud,
That is great reference material!Thanks for posting.Are you still in contact with Mr.Holland? I spoke with him years ago on telephone,and what I thought was going to be a 15 minute Q&A lasted over 90 minutes! A very kind and generous man.He was/is a fantastic resource for my training.


The text I posted above was from a private message exchange on a HIT forum that only existed for a few months about 10 years ago. Sadly, Doug and I are not friends or acquaintances. I wish were were!

As soon as I got that reply for him I saved the text so I'd never lose it. Nuggets of information like this are valuable.

Even with that simple response, even though I was a faceless internet user who had contacted him out of the blue, I felt like Doug was being very generous for his time and knowledge.

Thank you Doug.
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

My Sunday workout @ Doug's went like this:
First,he interviewed me to get an assessment of my current strength levels.Then he took me into the training area and found my correct seat positions on Nautilus pullover and MedX Avenger leg press.After that,he had me do two non taxing warm up sets with a trap bar deadlift and one warm up set on the leg press,plus three easy push-ups.And then all hell broke loose!

Weighted chin ups with 20 pounds.I managed 6 strict reps and a sloppy seventh(which didn't count,according to Doug).As I was about to end the set,Doug demanded,"No! Pull again up to mid range and keep pulling when movement stops.Four more seconds!" I did as I was told and he told me to come down slowly and do it again! I got up about a third of the way and pulled for four more seconds.
Doug took the weight off me and told me to buckle into the pullover machine.Then he tightened the belt super tight."I didn't tell you ahead of time,but you're doing negative only pullovers."He loaded me onto the elbow pads,brought the weight around to the completed position and told me to hold it there for two seconds followed by a very slow negative.At the top of the negative stroke,he brought the movement arm around for me and had me do it again.And again.And again.And again.My traps,lats,triceps were on fire.We must've done 5 or 6 reps.He recognized when the last negative was getting to fast and dangerous,caught the out of control movement arm and unbuckled me out of the seat and sent me to the water cooler."Meet me at the dip bars!",he screamed.I got up into the locked-arms position on the dip bars,and Doug cautioned me not to go too deep(he doesn't allow his clients to do deep dips).I went down slowly and when my upper arm was parallel to the floor,he gave me a tap on my arm as my signal to began the ascent.The negative pullovers really fucked me up,so I only managed to get six or seven dips.Unbelievable!Time for another water break...
Trap bar deadlift was next.The bar was loaded and set up for me to pull from the upper handles.No bouncing of the weight off the floor was allowed.I was told to make dead stops on the floor after each rep and then pull again.I was able to get 8 clean reps with 335 pounds.Doug said,"Walk around for a bit.Go find a fan and stand in front of it.Get a small sip of water.Then come back!"
I came back and found that he had removed 30 pounds from the bar and had flipped it over for use with the low handles.FUCK !!
I stepped inside and was able to grind out 7 more reps.I was rewarded with a four minute walk around break.Doug yelled,"Do NOT sit down! If you do,you won't want to get up! Keep moving!"
Next up was Medx Avenger leg press.Both a/c units were blasting cold air,but he still brought two fans to blow on me to keep me focused.I got 12 or 13 good quality reps.
Totally wasted!!
He monitored my condition to make sure I was okay and then excused himself to make some phone calls.5 minutes later he emerged from his office and tossed me a can of cold Heineken.

Leon
Open User Options Menu

Chris H

frostyF wrote:
My Sunday workout @ Doug's went like this:
First,he interviewed me to get an assessment of my current strength levels.Then he took me into the training area and found my correct seat positions on Nautilus pullover and MedX Avenger leg press.After that,he had me do two non taxing warm up sets with a trap bar deadlift and one warm up set on the leg press,plus three easy push-ups.And then all hell broke loose!

Weighted chin ups with 20 pounds.I managed 6 strict reps and a sloppy seventh(which didn't count,according to Doug).As I was about to end the set,Doug demanded,"No! Pull again up to mid range and keep pulling when movement stops.Four more seconds!" I did as I was told and he told me to come down slowly and do it again! I got up about a third of the way and pulled for four more seconds.
Doug took the weight off me and told me to buckle into the pullover machine.Then he tightened the belt super tight."I didn't tell you ahead of time,but you're doing negative only pullovers."He loaded me onto the elbow pads,brought the weight around to the completed position and told me to hold it there for two seconds followed by a very slow negative.At the top of the negative stroke,he brought the movement arm around for me and had me do it again.And again.And again.And again.My traps,lats,triceps were on fire.We must've done 5 or 6 reps.He recognized when the last negative was getting to fast and dangerous,caught the out of control movement arm and unbuckled me out of the seat and sent me to the water cooler."Meet me at the dip bars!",he screamed.I got up into the locked-arms position on the dip bars,and Doug cautioned me not to go too deep(he doesn't allow his clients to do deep dips).I went down slowly and when my upper arm was parallel to the floor,he gave me a tap on my arm as my signal to began the ascent.The negative pullovers really fucked me up,so I only managed to get six or seven dips.Unbelievable!Time for another water break...
Trap bar deadlift was next.The bar was loaded and set up for me to pull from the upper handles.No bouncing of the weight off the floor was allowed.I was told to make dead stops on the floor after each rep and then pull again.I was able to get 8 clean reps with 335 pounds.Doug said,"Walk around for a bit.Go find a fan and stand in front of it.Get a small sip of water.Then come back!"
I came back and found that he had removed 30 pounds from the bar and had flipped it over for use with the low handles.FUCK !!
I stepped inside and was able to grind out 7 more reps.I was rewarded with a four minute walk around break.Doug yelled,"Do NOT sit down! If you do,you won't want to get up! Keep moving!"
Next up was Medx Avenger leg press.Both a/c units were blasting cold air,but he still brought two fans to blow on me to keep me focused.I got 12 or 13 good quality reps.
Totally wasted!!
He monitored my condition to make sure I was okay and then excused himself to make some phone calls.5 minutes later he emerged from his office and tossed me a can of cold Heineken.

Leon


thanks for this Leon.
Great read, bloody hard workout.
Doug H reminds me of Ken Leistner, 2 relatively small Guys, but brutally almost inhuman strong.
Shows you whats possible genetics aside, but also shows that load does not always mean swole.
Open User Options Menu

spud

Chris H wrote:
thanks for this Leon.
Great read, bloody hard workout.
Doug H reminds me of Ken Leistner, 2 relatively small Guys, but brutally almost inhuman strong.
Shows you whats possible genetics aside, but also shows that load does not always mean swole.


I understand where you're coming from and I agree with what you're saying. Look at Dr Ken hen he was squatting 407 for 23 reps. He didn't look like he trained. He weighed about 160 lbs, and in street clothes, was just some random, average guy. I get that.

Doug Holland is 5'3" and I don't think he's ever weighed more than 165 lbs, so is very similar to Dr Ken. He was never going to be massive. He is 59 years old, turning 60 very soon. He may have already turned 60, I don't know. I'm just going of things I've learned from his Instagram and a couple of Podcasts I've listened to.

If you took 100 randomly selected men aged 55 to 65, who were no taller than 5'8" and lined them up, wearing nothing but shorts and dropped Doug into that line up, he'd look fcking incredible in comparison. He'd be thrown out of the line up because he'd be accused of being 40 to 45 years old.

Whilst he's not a mass monster, you can bet he looks worlds apart from most men over 50. Hell, the way the world is going, he looks better than most guys over 35.

Realistically, Doug's physique probably represents the pinnacle of what is possible for a natural with a lifetime of training. Drug use + Social Media has skewed so many people's perceptions of what a normal physique looks like, or what is possible in terms of muscle gain.
Open User Options Menu

Chris H

spud wrote:
Chris H wrote:
thanks for this Leon.
Great read, bloody hard workout.
Doug H reminds me of Ken Leistner, 2 relatively small Guys, but brutally almost inhuman strong.
Shows you whats possible genetics aside, but also shows that load does not always mean swole.

I understand where you're coming from and I agree with what you're saying. Look at Dr Ken hen he was squatting 407 for 23 reps. He didn't look like he trained. He weighed about 160 lbs, and in street clothes, was just some random, average guy. I get that.

Doug Holland is 5'3" and I don't think he's ever weighed more than 165 lbs, so is very similar to Dr Ken. He was never going to be massive. He is 59 years old, turning 60 very soon. He may have already turned 60, I don't know. I'm just going of things I've learned from his Instagram and a couple of Podcasts I've listened to.

If you took 100 randomly selected men aged 55 to 65, who were no taller than 5'8" and lined them up, wearing nothing but shorts and dropped Doug into that line up, he'd look fcking incredible in comparison. He'd be thrown out of the line up because he'd be accused of being 40 to 45 years old.

Whilst he's not a mass monster, you can bet he looks worlds apart from most men over 50. Hell, the way the world is going, he looks better than most guys over 35.

Realistically, Doug's physique probably represents the pinnacle of what is possible for a natural with a lifetime of training. Drug use + Social Media has skewed so many people's perceptions of what a normal physique looks like, or what is possible in terms of muscle gain.


i agree, but to quantify what i meant, is the likes of Ken, Doug, Stewart McRobert, Bob Whelan etc etc, say get strong at few basic exercises and you gonna develop your to its max as well, whilst clearly is not true.
Taking your line-up analogy, Doug compared to most who look far better, but not far better than many in his age group who lift. I'm 56 next month, and i think i look better, and whist Brian J and Turpin are a few years younger at 54, 53 they look a lot better.
Not criticizing Doug, hes an athlete and would wipe the floor with me in a gym and i'm considerably larger than him, its just hes locked into one way of doing things, which obviously suits his goals, but its not optimal for physiques development.
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

spud and Chris H,
True words from both of you.When I visited Doug a few days ago he was dressed in a baggy,long sleeve sweatshirt and long shorts,but I could tell he was carrying good tissue underneath,especially in the trap,shoulders,upper back,and what little I could see of his thighs.I asked what he weighed and in typical Doug-speak he replied,"One hundred fifty-three pounds of red meat!"
Not bad for a 60 year old who works out twice a week for three minutes to nine minutes per workout.
Open User Options Menu

epdavis7

He seems like a guy I would like to hang out with, shoot the shit, and drink a few beers with. Pretty straight forward down to earth guy with a little eccentricity. Kind of like me.
Open User Options Menu

frostyF

Arkansas, USA

epdavis7 wrote:
He seems like a guy I would like to hang out with, shoot the shit, and drink a few beers with. Pretty straight forward down to earth guy with a little eccentricity. Kind of like me.


True! He gives no f*#ks! He told a story about when he and Greg Anderson went to the airport to pick up Mike Mentzer for a seminar.Mike demanded that Doug carry his (Mike's) bag.Doug said,"Uh,no.You look like a pretty strong guy.Carry your own bag! Show us the functional benefits of Heavy Duty,Mike!"
Brutal! I'm still laughing!
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

frostyF wrote:
spud and Chris H,
True words from both of you.When I visited Doug a few days ago he was dressed in a baggy,long sleeve sweatshirt and long shorts,but I could tell he was carrying good tissue underneath,especially in the trap,shoulders,upper back,and what little I could see of his thighs.I asked what he weighed and in typical Doug-speak he replied,"One hundred fifty-three pounds of red meat!"
Not bad for a 60 year old who works out twice a week for three minutes to nine minutes per workout.


Ill bet hes muscles are dense as fcuk! Decades of heavy deads, weighted chins, squats etc...its beautiful.
Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy